Is It Time to Allow the American South to just Sink in the Mud?

1 Like

I see.

I doubt that. The history is still there. I doubt there’ll be book burnings. The military expertise from that era is probably obsolete. What is the purpose of a statue of a Civil War General in Alabama? I don’t think my ideology parallels with the Khmer Rouge. Just turning the page of history. We don’t need it anymore. It does no any good. :idunno:

Yeah, not really from my side of the aisle, but if this is the opportunity to build bridges to a larger fairer American past and bring AA more into the fold, good.

Yeah, but his moral high ground didn’t really have space for all Southerners, did it?

Well, Europe has missed a few things when it comes to learning from the Colonies.

Uhhh, a lot.

I don’t think it was a moral high ground. I don’t think the institution of slavery, coupled with a willingness to continue bullying the rapidly growing nation into making slavery a valid choice by new states, is the moral high ground.

In parallel to today’s coddling of antifa by governments at almost all levels in the USA, the North’s unwillingness to stand up to the South’s bullying over slavery was similar. Of course, it took the North more than a generation before they’d had enough.

I was thinking more that he wasn’t thinking about what was best for all Southern folk.

1 Like

What’s your problem with it? Just curious.

I don’t have a problem with it. I don’t need something to come from my ideological bent to make sense is what I’m saying.

Ryan Cooper
NATIONAL CORRESPONDENT
Ryan Cooper is a national correspondent at TheWeek.com . His work has appeared in the Washington Monthly , The New Republic , and the Washington Post .

You lost me. I said “great stuff”. What did you mean when you said “not from my side of the aisle”?

Look at who Cooper writes for.

I was working in Vancouver in the 80s, and “Punjab” was used as a derogatory term for East Indians (reference: South Asians). Anyway, an older guy came by, slapped Sammy (Sami) on the shoulder and said in a mock-friendly tone “You old Punjab, you”. A young white guy jumped up to his defence, saying “You can’t call him a name like that”, while Sammy, quite bewildered, was saying “But I am Punjabi”.
It’s not the word, it’s the intention. Like explaining to high-school students that you don’t translate the term ‘Chong-guo ren’ directly into English.

Yeah I would assume bias just based on the short bio you listed. Washington Post? Washington Monthly? I mean, hello. Pretty lefty narrative by all those actors. They’ve all shown a willingness to publish propaganda the last few years.

2 Likes

It is. The word I wanna use is “Moms.” As in, “My Moms is making dinner.” Or “Where you get those Jordans?” “My Moms got them for me for my birthday.” I don’t know where it comes from, but my little kids used it all the time. For me, it’s like “Pop-pop” and “Granny.”

I just think Moms is an adorable loving way to address one’s mother…like when my son calls his mom “Maaaa.”

It’s a good point, but alas things no longer work that way in 2020; see cancel culture.

Defense Secretary Mark Esper and Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy, both former Army officers, put out word through their spokesmen that they are “open to a bipartisan discussion” of renaming Army bases such as North Carolina’s Fort Bragg that honor Confederate officers who led the fight against the Union and directly or implicitly defended the institution of slavery.

Separately, the Navy’s top admiral announced Tuesday that he will follow the example of Gen. David Berger, the commandant of the Marine Corps, who last week directed Marine commanders to remove public displays of the Confederate battle flag carried during the Civil War. The flag, which some embrace as a symbol of heritage, “carries the power to inflame feelings of division” and can weaken the unit cohesion that combat requires, General Berger has said.

“The Confederate battle flag has all too often been co-opted by violent extremist and racist groups whose divisive beliefs have no place in our Corps,” the Corps said in a separate statement last Friday. “Our history as a nation, and events like the violence in Charlottesville in 2017, highlight the divisiveness the use of the Confederate battle flag has had on our society.”

Adm. Mike Gilday, the chief of naval operations, directed his staff to begin writing a similar order. A Navy spokesman, Cmdr. Nate Christensen, said the ban would apply aboard Navy ships, aircraft, and submarines and at installations.

[

The promise – and limits – of police taking a knee

](https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice/2020/0605/The-promise-and-limits-of-police-taking-a-knee)

The Army and Air Force have not yet followed General Berger’s lead, but a defense official said Tuesday that the issue of banning Confederate Army symbols is now under discussion at the highest levels of the Pentagon. The official spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss ongoing internal deliberations.

1 Like

The Hill? Why, what does that mean? You’re far more clued into this stuff than i am. Anyway, i was talking about the article content, FWIW

The Hill, The New Republic, The WaPo…not really my go to sources. lol

I have no problem with the content…hence the posting of and agreement with…er…it.

1 Like

“I don’t believe in kneeling during Anthem nor taken ppl right to fly what ever flag they love. I could care less about the Confederate Flag but there are ppl that do and it doesn’t make them a racist all you are doing is [expletive] one group to cater to another,” he wrote, adding that he won’t spend money “to participate in any political BS!! So everything is for SALE!!”

No, it doesn’t make them racist.

So, he won’t kneel for the US Flag, but will protect the Confederate flag? Are they equal?

1 Like

While he won’t kneel, I assume he still stands with hand over heart during say the national anthem?

I’m not sure “kneel before US flag” = “show respect for the US flag”

Why is that a problem?