Is It Time to Allow the American South to just Sink in the Mud?

Interesting. I haven’t heard that anywhere. Is anyone suggesting it is?

Nah, I will go back and read the article. I probably misunderstood your point.

1 Like

re-read? :nerd_face:

Oh so now is a good time? :nauseated_face: :face_vomiting:

Congress authorized the National Statuary Hall Collection in 1864 to allow each state to donate two statues of notable citizens “illustrious for their historic renown or for distinguished civic or military services” for display in the Capitol.

Fine…placate them in 1864. But it’s 2020. Time to switch it up.

Mississippi is the only state with two Confederates in the collection: Jefferson Davis and James Z. George. Neither was born in Mississippi.

George was a Confederate colonel who became a U.S. senator and chaired Mississippi’s Democratic Executive Committee from 1875 to 1876, crafting the “Mississippi Plan,” a campaign of voter intimidation and violent repression.

George led the construction of Mississippi’s 1890 Constitution, which effectively reduced the number of qualified black Mississippi voters from 147,205 to 8,615, an action that resulted in a white electoral majority in every county, according to a 2017 report by the University of Mississippi Chancellor’s Advisory Committee on History and Context.

South Carolina is represented by Wade Hampton, a Confederate, and John C. Calhoun. Calhoun died before the inception of the Confederacy, but would have likely been a supporter of it.

Uh, ‘Chinaman’?
Again, it’s a perfectly acceptable term in Chinese. To explain it to high-school students who use the term freely that it’s not acceptable in English leads to puzzled looks, and then you have to explain the whole history of Chinese experience in North America.
Had to explain Allen Ginsburg’s “All Asia is rising against me/ I haven’t got a Chinaman’s chance” to a class of MA students in Beijing in the 80s who were part of the “sent-down” generation, who didn’t know anything about Western history, or the outside world, really.

Good to get your facts straight

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi renewed a years-long quest to remove the remaining Confederate statues from the U.S. Capitol as calls to erase monuments to the Confederacy increase amid the nation’s reckoning with its racist past.

Pelosi wrote in a letter Wednesday to colleagues who co-chair the Joint Committee on the Library that Congress should “lead by example.”

“The statues in the Capitol should embody our highest ideals as Americans, expressing who we are and who we aspire to be as a nation,” Pelosi (D-Calif.) wrote. “Monuments to men who advocated cruelty and barbarism to achieve such a plainly racist end are a grotesque affront to these ideals. Their statues pay homage to hate, not heritage. They must be removed.”

Pelosi, then the minority leader, led this charge in 2017 after the violent white supremacist march in Charlottesville that began over plans to remove a statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee. But Republicans rejected her entreaty, saying it’s up to the states to decide the likenesses they want representing them in Washington.

1 Like

I once knew a guy named Mike Hunt.

The euphemism treadmill manufactures an endless supply of slurs. We can churn them out faster than you can ban them.

It’s sexist.

Say Chinaperson.

1 Like

I’d like the see them defend these statues at the Congressional hearing going on.

OK, it’s a problem with you. It isn’t with Chinese people.

Tom Cotton’s name is coming up a lot recently. New guard?

Republican senators DEFY Donald Trump by voting to strip Confederate generals’ names from Army bases - despite White House threatening a veto

• President Trump announced Wednesday that he ‘will not even consider’ renaming American military bases that were named after Confederate leaders
  • He said the 10 Army bases in question were ‘part of a Great American Heritage’ and referred to them as ‘Hallowed Grounds’
  • White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany reiterated his point calling it disrespectful to service members to assume they were ‘inherently racist’
  • But later in the evening the Senate Armed Services Committee voted to tell the Pentagon to remove the names within three years

“Great American heritage?” GTFOOH.

I don’t really get people too critical of Lee’s strategy with the benefit of hindsight, he was not going to win no matter what. That is obvious. It’s too easy to point out his mistakes, but he lead some of the most lopsided victories in the war with much smaller numbers and inferior everything.

Go take down confederate statues, but they’re crossing the line if they think about coming for the Alamo

Donotmesswithtexas

I’m surprised the article didn’t mention Ozzy Osbourne. “You don’t piss on the Alamo, boy.”

It’s a problem with North American nomenclature. Unless, of course, you walk around in the States saying “I saw this Chinaman” and “I’m going down to the Chinaman’s store”. Which, probably…

Large areas of burnable agricultural land are harder to protect than factories.
Additionally the Royal Navy was going to help out the south by breaking the blockade, but I guess they figured it would only delay the eventual defeat of the South by the industrial North.
Josey Wells would disagree though :wink:

OK, it’s a problem with some North American people, but not with Chinese.

Wales! The cymrophobia on this site makes me want to pull down a statue.

2 Likes