Is life in Germany better than here?

The thing is Berlin is not the economic capital of Germany at all. Frankfurt, Düsseldorf, Hamburg and especially Munich are much richer and even Berlin is getting expensive.

Berlin is a lot worse. There’s a lot more to London than hip, but hip and fun is like Berlin’s thing so they really take it to the next level.

Vienna >>>>>>>>>> Berlin

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve heard bad things about Berlin; I’ve only been to western Germany and that was around the year 2000.

My foreign friends are great, but the problem with that is if you want to live long term Ina foreign country, most likely you will have foreign friends for a very short time. For example, my friends are in some type of expat package for a few years(mostly max 3years), others studying 2 year courses etc. If their wives/husbands are not Taiwanese they most likely will not stay. You can keep friendship on a distance but that’s not the same thing. So every 3 years you have to start all over again. I am pretty sure it gets very tiring once you get old and you don’t have life long close friends.

2 Likes

I think I would really enjoy the beer and food. And as an engineer, I think I would enjoy and appreciate the striving for perfection in some technical/automotive areas. I have some German friends and get along well with them. Never been there, so these are all guesses. This kind of thing makes me wonder, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlY3KD7M-Hg

1 Like

Really? Some crazy shit from the 70s? You can find plenty of weird stuff from that time from any country. :grin:

2 Likes

I’ve never lived in Germany, but I’ve worked with many German nationals (many) in the US.

And although I hate Powerpoint presentations with the passion of a thousand suns, I do perk up if they’re given by Germans. You probably have to be there, but German ppt’s and meetings led by Germans can be things with a real sense of logical beauty. The level of organizational skills possessed by seemingly any German is remarkable. As an engineer I think you’d love it - at least at first.

3 Likes

Germans are wonderful engineers . Methodical and careful . Always trusted German prepared race cars …I think they see too much good in everyone sometimes , which can bite them .

4 Likes

I don’t think it’s a shithole or anything, but it was extremely hyped and my trip didn’t live up to that hype.

They have got some funky shit :joy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kOVvVyTam8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAex3wGE7ik

1 Like

Germans seem to love the 70s glam era. So many TV shows …hehe
Quality .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_yMLbAyO1U&list=PLVdxvV7WMxe0UCPaMkTj0bpnUwPKoG_tH&index=73
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4Y93Qucbt0&list=PLVdxvV7WMxe0UCPaMkTj0bpnUwPKoG_tH&index=92

1 Like

Having lived in the US and in Germany (albeit not for a long time), I like Germany better.

I say this but I haven’t lived there for years, so maybe things are different, but Germany has reasonable healthcare expenses. Not Taiwan cheap but not American expensive either. Health insurance if required is only 70-ish euros per year (it may have changed). In the US it’s 50-200 dollars and up per month, and doctor visits are still expensive despite insurance coverage.

Public transportation is night and day. Germany has decent public transportation, only a little worse than Taiwan but not like the US where without a car you’re not going anywhere except where you happen to be at.

I as far as night life, I can’t say because I don’t get into those kind of things but Germany doesn’t have silly rules like no beer on Sundays, bars have to close at 2am, etc.

1 Like

From your post, I’m not sure why you think Germany is better than taiwan.

I was comparing the US to Germany, never said anything about Taiwan.

For the record, I do like Germany better because over there it’s not super hot and humid and air conditioning is actually a luxury there, not a necessity.

But every place has its ups and downs.

I find that to get around in Europe you don’t really need a car. Trains work very well for long distance. And if you are going to isolated places you can rent a car a day or 2, because having to deal with everyday park in city centers was very expensive when I rented for long time.

Health care has its ups and downs. Taiwan is efficient, not always effective but efficient. Waiting time is almost inexistent compared to the west. Price still no one can beat. But I was misdiagnosed many times here. The curse of one size fits all in diagnosis in Taiwan is very real.

And as for air con, this year I think is even worse than the previous years, or I am just getting hit lol. Pun intended. But summers in a Europe so far weren’t as painful as here even when the temperature was in 40’sC over there.

I am checking real state prices and I found many great deals for both rental and purchase. No in famous places like Frankfurt and Munich. But I am not disappointed. Or maybe I am just used to the nonsense price of houses in Taipei.

My only problem with Europe is my inability to get any visa beyond the 3 month per 6 month period visa wavier thing. I simply do not know how to get those other kinds of visas because it would require me to have a ton of money to sign up for language schools or something. Or at least being able to be hired by some international company.

Tell them you’re a refugee :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

It’s like any other country, you can’t just live there for no reason.

2 Likes

You can get into Spain or Portugal. Pay a rent and apply for a 2 year visa without having to enroll in a school. But would still require money as you wouldn’t be allowed to work in Europe.

Espanol non Comphrende…

1 Like

No cultural or language tests, but still would need to fill out the paperwork. Still, you would have residency in Spain or Portugal and be able to travel all around Europe for the whole visa period.