Is life in Germany better than here?

A lot of basic things in Taiwan is a expensive luxury in Europe though. It’s going to touch 40 degrees here today, and most Italians do not have AC. It’s a luxury, and very expensive. Want a washing machine? Good luck buying a decent Japanese brand which are 3x the price in Taiwan. The European brands are shit. They can’t make technology here. I see technology being advertised that arrived to Taiwan and the rest of the world 10 years ago.

For example, Italy is still catching up on credit card technology. There’s a TV ad on for a credit card reader when the rest of the world is moving to other cashless technology.

I thought European stuff is the rage. I mean people spend so much on European washer/dryer units… I keep seeing them advertised for over 40,000NT.

Germany was ok but technology wise it’s definitely not as advanced as Taiwan.

Invention of German washing machine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhjwUr6PifM

Idk, they don’t looks great and the decent ones are really expensive

Doing laundry was hell in Germany though… had to wash everything by hand because they charged more than 8 euros to wash it. I don’t know what the laundromat charge but it’s too expensive.

Funny thing is you probably waste more water hand washing clothes. Those horizontal washers supposedly use less water and electricity because both are very expensive in Europe.

Bosch makes some good shit though. DeLonghi used to be good too, not sure how it is these days.

Italy always has the latest technology:

s-l225

2 Likes

I bought a coffee machine from them and it didn’t work. I had it sent back 2x and each time it still doesn’t work.

Germany is still leading in technology and stuff that don’t break in many areas, maybe not the most efficient in production but definitely quality levels are pretty high.

Italy is still far behind in technology compared to Germany. Especially when not in the major cities, or Southern Italy.

As for credit card etc, well, even the beggars in South America have credit card wireless machines on the traffic light when they ask for money. No excuse not to give them a change anymore. In comparison, not long ago (and still in many establishments now) we have to carry money around in Taiwan if you want to buy even a mc Donald’s. Same is true for clothes, some expensive restaurants etc.

1 Like

Italy is one of the more backwards European countries. In Scandinavia or the Netherlands you literally can’t do anything without a card or their contactless payment system on the phone. I hardly use cash in London either except in Chinatown.

Now their internet is a JOKE. GARBAGE. The shit 4G drives me crazy. Like what in the actual F. The connection plays dead in ALL crowded spaces. If you arrive at a festival or something late good luck finding your friends because your phone might as well be out of battery. The connection would also disappear at some super random spots, like Waterloo Bridge or a bus stop I use frequently. Suddenly no coverage for no reason.

I had better 4G connection in Alishan I’m not even kidding.

1 Like

This is interesting (item #2 ::did not see many Fiat cars in Berlin)

Italy’s exports to Germany amounted to
$68.7 billion or 12.6% of its overall exports.

1. Machinery: $11.3 billion
  2. Vehicles: $7.9 billion
1 Like

Surprising. Would be curious to know what type of machinery they are exporting

[quote=“owleyes, post:92, topic:180032, full:true”]

For Vehicles I found Iveco (Trucks) and other heavy vehicles (for Industry and Military), so maybe not as much cars.

2 Likes

They make farming machines, trains and all kinds of special machinery for production

2 Likes

Germans are a delight to work with.

4 Likes

don’t forget the pizza ovens and pasta makers.

but seriously, northern italy is highly industrialized and resembles much more southern germany’s economy with many successful small/middle-sized companies than it does with the rest of italy

3 Likes

Only when you are a machine.

4 Likes

…and Taiwan. Which I realised when I used to visit some SMEs there in industrial areas.

Just one thing to be fair with Italy: the northern part it is probably the richest area in Europe and one of the richest areas in the world.
If we take out the north as a group, and take only Lombardy, we are probably talking about the richest region in Europe per GDP.
The growth it had in the last 6-10 years has been remarkable.

It is true however that the rest of the country is extremely backwards and poorly managed.

and coffee machines!