Is NT$41,000/ Month Too Low To Be Teaching English?

its always easier ti get a job if you already have one, thats for sure. just dont knock the current job during the interviews with the new ones.

If I were you I’d really think about moving to Vietnam to teach.

I recently lived in Saigon for a year and taught ESL both in a pubic school and a private academy. From what I saw at both of my workplaces the workplace culture is much better than here in Taiwan, and that includes hiring practices. You’ll be treated much fairer in regards to your skin color and gender, it really shouldn’t be too much of an issue. I worked along side other ESL teachers from the Philippines, India, Candian Vietnamese, and African Americans who were treated the same and paid the same as their white counterparts. I wish that the same work environment I had there existed here, but they seems too far and few in between.

The thing is though, like you mentioned, you need to move there first before you can find the job. Luckily though ESL jobs there are plentiful so it’s relatively easy to find a good ESL job in a short amount of time.

I’ve also taught in Korea, and they are on par with Taiwan in their ESL workplace stereotypes, but it’s not always the case, so it’s worth giving it a shot.

Honestly, between the three countries, Taiwan, Korea, and Vietnam, and would rank Taiwan as the worst place to work ESL, with Vietnam being the best place.

If I were you, I’d read the contract of China job really carefully, before to make a decision. I’d check all the legal requirements, job terminate conditions, visa procedure, living cost & environment, reasonable salary for my qualification, etc.

If staying here were still one of my options, I’d try to get my fbi document as quickly as possible.

And how many hours do you actually teach? If your teaching hour is 4 or 5 hours, it is not much worse than 20hr classes per week with 500NTD/hr contract at buxiban. They’d have not a small amount of unpaid work.

Edit:
I’m not saying 41000 is good enough for OP. If I were OP, I’ll surely look for a next job. But the working experience with 41000 pay is better than long unemployed period to find a better job.

its not a world of difference from here, as has already been said.

1-8:30 and 1-7:30

Is that 5 day a week?

if they come for money, yes 80k is not so good. But I’ve thought they are coming mostly for some experience living abroad. And having taught foreign kids could be some good for teachers.

Yes

There is no way anyone would be paid the full western salary for teaching at a private or public school in Taiwan. It just isn’t going to happen. The only way to get a western salary is to work at either TAS or TES. That’s it. Everything else is between 65000 and 100000 tops. That 100000 is only obtainable after a good decade or more at one school.

80,000 is twice what the average Taiwanese teacher makes. You just can’t compare to western salaries. Qualified teachers do not come here for the money. They come for the experience, the stop over, the sabbatical in their teaching career or because they married a Taiwanese and are making this island their home.

Salaries for Taiwanese have been stagnant for decades. Many Taiwanese are leaving and going to other countries for higher pay, better opportunities and a better life. 80,000 is far from a western salary, but something to be grateful for when you put everything into perspective.

1 Like

Jeez man, you’re always casting the first stone… :innocent: :stuck_out_tongue: :unamused:

As soon as software can reliably write itself…
@discobot quote

:left_speech_bubble: Your sacred space is where you can find yourself again and again. — Joseph Campbell

1 Like

Actually teachers currently.are coming out with 60, 70,80k per month retired for the rest of their lives in Taiwan.

I always hear this be grateful stuff but be grateful for what exactly?

Be grateful you are able to make twice the salary of a Taiwanese in their own country. Be grateful you are employed instead of unemployed. Be grateful you can get raises every year. Most Taiwanese don’t and can’t. Be grateful you have access to very affordable health care. Be grateful for opportunity. The grass may seem greener in other places, but more often than not, it isn’t.

Good luck bro. Racial discrimination certainly exists here.

It does. People like to say that “Oh they are curious because they don’t seen black people” but there is a lot of racism. My wife is a teacher and a few years ago she had a mix child in her class. Her mum was Taiwanese and her dad a black Nigerian. One day the dad come to pick up the girl after school, and the boss scream at him “Why you here nigalo? We don’t want your drug. Go away!”
The dad is very angry and my wife have to tell the boss that he is a paying customer. Then the boss change her tune and say sorry because money. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

most means more than three quarters?

Anyway, those expenses could be covered by the extra 20~30k NTD/month foreigners are getting. And locals should pay for kids education, which many foreigners don’t need, especially young language teachers.

I am not black but I will never say to a black man: cheer up, you are overreacting etc etc simply because I have no idea how it feels to be black in a non black country. But I worked as a recruiter back home and I was literally told by my boss to possibly select people with no african background for a specific position.
The only time I got stopped by the police for no reason in my European country was when I was hanging around with a black friend.

In my experience yes. In my company I am the only foreigner. There are about 40-50 employees. Everyone I speak to who is single lives with their parents. The 10 people who are married, half live with parents STILL and the other half live with a home that daddy paid for.

1 Like

Right. Last night, I asked what I should do on another forum (a predominantly black one) and someone told me not to go to China. The pay may be good but it’s not worth it. This lady had a posh job, she was goven a stipend for her housing, transportation and medical costs but she couldn’t continue with it. She says the hatred for brown skinned people is real there and they have no problem screwing people out of money despite what the contract states. She says I shouldn’t go there unless I’m absolutely desperate.