Is Santa dead?

Now that Fabian’s 2½-year-old son is starting to recognize Santa in picture books, she and her husband have decided to take a different approach: Santa isn’t real.

“For us, we’ll focus more on Christmas is about family,” Fabian said. “Your gifts come from your family, and we’ll be grateful for those and your family.”

“Also I just feel dishonest to bring up my kid and lie to him all the time,” she added. “It just feels kind of wrong.”

This seems like another hot take putting down old traditions. People can do as they wish. They don’t have to tell their kids that Santa is real. But believing in Santa as a kid certainly didn’t traumatize me, and I miss the magic of those Christmas mornings wondering if he had visited and what he had gotten me. I understand it’s a bit tricky, since it’s technically a lie, but I think it’s okay to engage in a bit of make-believe with kids… up until a certain age of course. By age 9 or 10, I’d hope my child doesn’t still believe in Santa and I certainly wouldn’t perpetuate the myth at that age.

FWIW, I dress as Santa for my daughter every Christmas, but she’s only 3 so she gets a huge kick out of it. When she’s a couple years later, she’ll probably think it’s lame.

8 Likes

No Santa is not dead. Didn’t read any of that.

5 Likes

Man…

1 Like

If there isn’t Santa, we don’t need Christmas.

1 Like

Is Santa Dead?

No! Santa Claus is very much alive. He just has two identities. One is named Tim Allen.

1 Like

The reason for the season I thought was Jesus😉

3 Likes

I know. “we” is my family. :christmas_tree:

1 Like

Here’s thing…out of all the “lies” that an American kid will learn during their lifetime, wouldn’t Santa be the nicest?

I think as we move further into the 21st century we’re going to witness more and more “traditional” stuff die off. I guess this is what the beginning of the 20th century was like and I can’t tell if that’s forward or a step back in someways.

Not satisfied with debunking santa, @anon38216271 trains her sights on Jesus…

2 Likes

I don’t whether to laugh or get thee to confession.

1 Like

I respectfully disagree. I don’t think Santa is going anywhere. He’s still celebrated in many households and will continue to be. Maybe slightly less households than 50 years ago, but still more than enough that he’ll endure.

1 Like

Santa -who’s name, dress sense, omnipresence and mind reading abilities are suspiciously similar to Satan - will have my back in the cosmic standoff.

1 Like

One time when I was maybe 5 or 6, my mom woke me up on Christmas morning saying “Hurry! Santa is here!” Naturally, I jumped out of bed as quickly as I could. But just as I ran out to the living room, my dad closed the front door from the outside to make it seem as though Santa exited. My mom said “Aw! You just missed him.”

Then she and my father had a good old laugh about it behind my back.

It’s fun to dupe little kids. Makes for some lasting memories, like that one.

3 Likes

1 Like

Bring it on but over in the religious forum, I’m still lurking in there with my crucifix

1 Like

Strike up a conversation over there! :wink::grinning:

1 Like

It’s a story, not a lie.

I’ve been in some marathon threads in there especially about the resurrection, not as long as the Brexit thread but pretty long.
I know a few of the ladies in here have been traumatized by well meaning nuns :smile:

1 Like

That’s what I tell myself every year. I’m believing he’s still making his way to my house with $10M.

1 Like