Is Taiwan actually a country?

Maybe because Taiwan is not a country? I’ve said it before - unless world bodies like UN recognize it, nothing’s going to change. Trying to do an end run around the UN is not going to work. All these proposals by Australia and talk by Pompeo are hogwash. Why don’t they do what they actually can - bring up a resolution in the UNGA to formally recognize Taiwan. But ofcourse no one will do that starting with the US with its convenient strategic ambiguity on the issue.
Even if China were to veto it - fine. Bring it up officially. Let’s the world see where you stand.

Taiwan is a country. The UN no more than a mere club membership where countries can talk.

The UN doesn’t decide who is and is not a country.

5 Likes

You saying it doesn’t make it so, does it?

By the way, let’s talk about Taiwan. If it considers itself a free country, is there anything stopping the Taiwan legislature to introduce a bill stating it so? Can they remove words talking about the final aim as reunification with China? Just now the politician stepped back from doing this.

If it is indeed an independent country, what stops it from proudly and loudly declaring it so?

1 Like

The fact that it meets the objective definition of a country does.

3 Likes

It’s not me that says so. It’s the objective truth here on the ground.

Taiwan passports.
The people of Taiwan.
The laws decided by Taiwanese MPs.
Taiwanese currency.
Taiwanese enforcement officers.
Taiwanese macroeconomic policy.
Taiwanese symbols.
And more.

Nothing changed after 1971. The people here are the same people from when Taiwan was a UN Security Council member. None of them left.

Switzerland didn’t become a UN member until 2002. Was it a non-country in 1999?

Before the UN, based off your definition that means there were no countries.

When did Canada become a country? Please humour me.
When did the US become a country?

5 Likes

That was the question made by the reporter.

Really? Not a single developed country from the west has the guts to have an “embassy” in Taiwan. Where did their objective reasoning go I wonder.

Don’t “countries” who have relationships have embassies in each other’s land? Does anything stop the US from today declaring that the AIT will henceforth be formally know as the “US embassy” - nothing apart from a small side issue called the CCP - and US’s dependence on it.

Like 10 thousand missiles pointed at it and a billion fanatics set on keeping the island, kill the people.

2 Likes

Does that matter? What makes them the decisionmakers?

I’m not. Countries are recognized mutually as independent countries. Obviously before the UN we had other formal/ informal ways of doing that. But fact remains that as if today, the UN system is a way of doing that recognition formally.

Exactly my point. So if Taiwan doesn’t have that recognition in the worlds system as of today, (for whatever reason) its not a country simple. It’ll remain in the ambiguous state. It’s pointless trying to ask other countries why don’t they formally support it.

It doesn’t mean that Taiwan is incapable of entering into relations. Therefore it is a country.

1 Like

It has always been entering into relations. And I wish it’d be a country - but fact remains that’s it’s not. I don’t know why that’s so hard to understand. You wishing it were so or the people declaring it were so doesn’t make it “formally”. Unless other parties also agree to it. The question was why other countries show verbal support but not real support - because Taiwan is not a country they recognize. They problem begins there. Let all those countries first atleast recognize Taiwan. Then they could support its inclusion into the WHO.

The fact remains that it is. North Korea has virtually no relations with anyone. It’s a country.

I am in Taipei. What country am I in?

1 Like

You’re in an ambiguous piece of land. Prove it otherwise.

https://english.president.gov.tw/Page/40

President seems pretty unambiguous.

Still unambiguous.

1 Like

Last I checked, this wasn’t included in the definition of “country.”

4 Likes

Last I checked nothing is included. But it’s the way the world functions “today”. In any case even if it’s not included, what’s stop the US from doing so ?

Well as you see officially it’s an unofficial relationship. So why would they support Taiwan in reality?

So if official diplomatic relations with the US makes one a country…how is the US a country? Who gets to decide the US is a country?

1 Like

Fecksake lads why didn’t we think of this before?

Why did we never even discuss it?

:roll_eyes:

8 Likes