Is Taiwan actually a country?

Well we did, doesn’t make any difference, it’s the same for many foreign residents here.

That’s when I go into full karen mode and call weekly when stuff like this happens. Call your MPs.

1 Like

What MPs? You think they give a shit about their 100+ compatriots on a remote sland overseas? (Ok a few MPs do care but just a few , another group get invited to China every year). This isn’t Canada or the US with loads of hyphenated Taiwanese to service or Germany with their business interests.

The ones you elect to represent you.

I’m from suburban Southern Ontario and not all that different. But saying and doing nothing doesn’t help. Taiwanese-Canadians don’t live where I live. They live in Toronto and BC.

You might not be able to effect change. Maybe I will fail at bringing dual citizenship to Taiwan.

But sitting down and doing nothing is not going to help set up a rep office.

I don’t give a flying fuck if I think they couldn’t give a shit. They can put as little ‘care’ as they want, but I’m going to harass the shit out of politicians if I feel strongly about an issue.

3 Likes

I can’t vote from overseas but I agree with your sentiment.

1 Like

Neither were Canadians until January last year. My franchise was to expire a mere 6 days after supreme court rulings.

But they don’t need to know that. I still lost my shit at them multiple times.

I have pressured MPs here and I can’t even vote. They have no reason to support me, yet they do. I just do it anyways and fuck everything else.

As a side note, I’ve lost my franchise to vote for MPPs in Ontario. I still call even though I’m not technically a constituent.

1 Like

I hold the conviction that the right to self determination is a inalienable basic human right.

So Based on that, the most important thing is that the free people of Taiwan participate in a democracy that gives legitimacy to their government and country. This gives it all the legitimacy it needs since Taiwan has never been part of the PRC nor has the PRC ever controlled Taiwan as a “province”. We do not need any Declaration of Independence nor do we need to separate from the PRC for this.

5 Likes

That sounds nice, but I don’t recognize you as an “Andrew”. You shall now be known as “Drowsby”.
Obviously, if people keep calling you “Drowsby” you’ll stop considering yourself “Andrew”, just like if some people don’t consider Taiwan to be an independent country then it will stop being one.
Checkm8, far right nationalists.

Are there any such rights?
Right to life? - not really. ask anyone on death row or in combat duty, or say a black man in the US.

No right is absolute. Never has been, never will be. This concept of inalienable human rights makes for good PR, sounds good in international conventions and for people in the UN to have jobs to talk about something. It is not implemented in practice.

" in the words of Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights : “All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.” - no. millions of people are not born free, they won’t die free. They won’t see a shred of dignity their entire life.

1 Like

So…their human rights are being infringed.

2 Likes

Rights being violated does not equate the lack of rights.

1 Like

So you only become a country once a “developed” country recognizes you? I have a real embassy here, with official diplomatic relations since 1941. You want to tell my government that Taiwan is not a country?

The reason “developed” countries like the US don’t call AIT an official embassy is because they don’t wanna piss China off and risk Billions in trade.

1 Like

if rights are being violated all the time, the “rights” don’t exist. They exist only in the conference rooms and town halls of the rich and privileged.

1 Like

Why would the violation of rights negate the existence of them?

2 Likes

Canada never declared independence. Is Canada not a country?

Where did you get the idea that declaration of anything is a condition for being a country?

By that logic, are Kosovo, Pridnestrovia, Užupis, South Ossetia, Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic, the Principality of Sealand, Abkhazia, or The Sovereign Military Order of Malta countries?

I’m fine with calling the ROC a country, and we can call it Taiwan just like we also call Pridnestrovia by the name Transnistria. You can call anything a country for as long as you can hold on to it. But all nationhood is based on fiction anyway, a fiction that some commonality makes a land and/or a people into a separate group. It used to not be that way. It needn’t be that way now, but it will be for a lot longer.

2 Likes

Overview: Here are the 3 periods of US grand-policy as a reaction to China’s hostility or acceptance toward the World Order in the Western Pacific Region, established by US military authorities in the Pacific War (US-Japan War of 1941-1945)

Period 1: 1950 - 1978. Isolation, otherwise known as containment
Period 2: 1978 - 2019. Engagement, otherwise known as appeasement, or strategic ambiguity.
Period 3: 2019 - 20xx. Isolation, otherwise known as containment

Throughout all three periods, Taiwan has been a state-actor with considerable gross national power, situated at the exact intersection of US, Japan, and China.

Given that we’re now in the 3rd period, and as a consequence of that, US-Taiwan relations are becoming official again, as we speak.

2 Likes

Gee, the U.S. has recognized Taiwan?

1 Like

Perhaps the US recognizes the idea of a Taiwan just perhaps somewhere else like
Over the rainbow