Is Taiwan actually a country?

My biases? Haha sure. But more to do with your ignorance of the biases that actually exist in foreign policy, which you refuse to see.

You could read this book: " New Directions in US Foreign Policy" - Inderjeet Parmar, Linda B. Miller, Mark Ledwidge Routledge, 2009

A online version is here:

There are many studies there about how inherent bias wrt race, religion affect real foreign policy and implementation of rules.

Some examples for you: (sorry it doesn’t allow copy/paste of text)

Ofcourse there are many references there which you could in turn refer to for further deeper study.

alright great. So when do we see Taiwan legislature “declare” itself sovereign, pass a bill to that effect? when do we see others recognizing it as a full country?

1. The Legislative Yuan is sovereign and has been since 1911.
1 Like

@DesiInTaipei means not ROC but Taiwan?

ROC was a Permanent member of the United Nations Security Council, until 1971. And officially Taiwan is still ROC.

3 Likes

Reality on the ground is that Taiwan is a country and operates as a country. Other countries treat Taiwan and operate as if Taiwan is a country but just don’t say it. Even china treats Taiwan as a country but just won’t say it.

If a tree fell in a forest and no one is there to see it or recognize its falling, it still fell. Reality is reality. Everyone operates and treats Taiwan as a country.

9 Likes

The convention also declared that a State did not have to be recognized by other States, meaning a country could exist even if other countries did not recognize it.

3 Likes

Sovereign over what? Are you claiming the ROC is sovereign over the territories of the PRC?
This is all just meaningless bafflegab. The ROC will not modify its constitution to renounce sovereignty over the mainland and claim sovereignty over just Taiwan and the adjoining islands because it will piss off China. Other countries will not recognize Taiwan for the same reason, even the U.S.

1 Like

North Korea has 48 embassies in other countries, that more than Taiwan. There are 25 foreign embassies in Pyongyang, that more than Taipei.

1 Like

Nor will the US support Taiwan independence or any move towards it. They have said so clearly on numerous occasions.

1 Like

I didn’t say that. It’s sovereign in the lands it controls and applies to.

Still doesn’t change anything. Taiwan is a country.

1 Like

Also, reports to no higher authority.

1 Like

Independence from where?

People forget that in 1971 Taiwan was a dictatorship with a shitty economy. In their mind they were trading one shithole for another, no biggie. And even until a few years ago peaceful unification was a real possibility. I think the chances only got reduced to near zero this year. Why would they stick their neck out for a country that might betray them in the end?

3 Likes

Well, there are right-wing hawks in the USA who want to recognize Taiwan.

We believe we are a country and therefore we are at least unto ourselves

If they can issue you a passport, and you need a passport to go there, it’s a country right?

2 Likes

Whatever the US means by this. Their usual wording is, "“The United States opposes unilateral actions aimed at altering the status quo. It has been our longstanding policy that we do not support a referendum on Taiwan independence,”

1 Like

On Monday I was in the German embassy in Taipei 101 to get my new passport. They are named differently but perform exact the same duties as embassies in other countries. The different naming is just not to get sanctioned by communist government in China, same as not officially recognizing Taiwan. Money over morals.

7 Likes

We don’t even have a trade office here in Taiwan . It’s not so easy for many of us . Officially have to process docs thru Beijing.

You need to complain to your country of origin to service their citizens in Taiwan appropriately.