Is the Century Egg really that gross?

1 Like
1 Like

Yes it is. Though not to the degree of the other disgusting food in that slideshow. Mouse wine? Seriously? Just the picture makes me gag.

I’m not an egg fan to begin with, but this is what puts it over the top for me. Tea eggs I can deal with. Century eggs, no way.

This is far from the “grossest” thing a westerner could see.

Try balut, you know that egg with the duck embryo inside… and they sell those here too.

4 Likes

Covid-20 in the making.

Yummy egg with runny green yolk as a starter followed by chodofu.

Isn’t it? It’s a controlled rotting process I thought.

1 Like

YUMMY!

It doesn’t taste nearly as bad as it looks. It was … unmemorable. OTOH, on the one and only occasion I had one (I ate it all) I had a massive dose of the shits the next day. It probably wasn’t the egg, but it put me off trying it again.

2 Likes

never liked century egg, it just looks gross. Doesnt taste that bad really with congee but still, its dracula food

This. But I like it with tofu and dried pork. Can’t get past the smell of stinky tofu.

You thought wrong. Rotting is the process of matter break down as the result of the action of bacteria and/or fungi. This is a more basic chemical process, the effect of peeing on eggs, and then boiling them in pee (in the disgusting case of the Chinese paraphilia someone posted hours ago).

2 Likes

But fermenting is rotting in another name, right?

1 Like

I guess fermenting is rotting in some way…? TBH I don’t have a degree in food science or anything like that. I love fermented food like beer, yogurt, bread and similar.

Damn, today I’m fancying wine a lot xD

2 Likes

Fun fact: yeasts are considered something between a bacteria and a fungus, or something that has characteristics of both. Need to get back to my brewing… mead and kombucha are easy enough.

3 Likes

You’ve brewed mead?

FIFY

1 Like

I was the owner of the most underground mead company in Taiwan a few years ago. So underground that only a few people know it haha. I made a few bucks harassing people into customers…

3 Likes

speaking of fermented food… this one is pretty :tent: up too: