Is the Century Egg really that gross?

Fermenting and rotting are digesting processes changing structure, composition, texture, flavour …

Shrimp paste is pretty nasty, too.

1 Like

There are different versions of it, some more disgusting than others. The Thai version is not too bad in small doses.

The Romans, IMO, had the vilest version of it. Apparently at one point they used to drench everything in the stuff, so you couldn’t even taste what was underneath.

Fish sauce, or shrimp paste?

It was fermented fish guts, apparently.

Fish sauce (the clear liquid stuff) I don’t have a problem with. Thai (and Indonesian) shrimp paste is not too bad IMO. But as far as “controlled rotting” goes, shrimp paste must be pretty much that.

I like fish sauce, but not a fan of shrimp paste, I generally leave it out of any Thai dish I make. Maybe I was influenced by reading King Rat where he described the prisoners making a version for sale out of the abundant local cockroaches :slight_smile:

2 Likes

1 Like

It’s delicious to me. I posted about it in my recipe thread. Colatura di alci is based on garum.

I can’t eat them. I suppose if you like the taste of ammonia, go right ahead.

2 Likes

In theory one could eat decomposing fish that smells like ammonia?

In theory, one could choose to. I, however, choose not to.

You’re doomed to be free.

1 Like

I’d love to make some mead as well, but so far all recipes I found took very long compared to beer. Like … many months instead of a few weeks. Did you perhaps find a secret, maybe Taiwan specific, way to do it without dying of thirst while waiting?

I don’t know, you make a batch every day and you keep making them and in a few months you will have enough to drink everyday?

I’m sure the Taiwanese have a way to accelerate the fermentation process… probably by using chemicals.

Nah… Just drink beer in tge waiting. Iirc depending on the batch it took from 2 to 3 months. I’m on the phone, feeling too lazy to explain it.

Thanks a lot, that explains it already. I’ll stick with making beer then :beers:

Goes well with Century eggs, too ^^

Yes the yolk looks yucky. But the taste… I just feel it’s like egg - only stronger. Very good stuff.

1 Like

I love century egg. It’s my favorite. Stinky tofu is foul though I can’t stomach it unless it’s the one in the soup with duck blood, then it’s ok but still not great.

Still haven’t tried the bird spit soup or the wasp larvae

1 Like

The key to enjoying the century egg is eating it in preparations in which it is cut very small and immersed in some other substance. (Like that yellow jelly thingie in the vegetarian buffets). I made the mistake of trying it on its own the first time, and it was terrible.

As part of an unfortunate promise I made some friends, I had to egg a century egg on my 50th birthday last year. It was WITHOUHT QUESTION the worst thing I’ve ever had to eat in my entire life. I can’t for the life of me understand how someone would willingly want to eat such a foul, disgusting thing.

1 Like

The best is to eat it with that soft tofu.

Actually it’s probably my favorite food in Taiwan. I can’t get enough of the stuff.

Plenty of foods here I can’t stand though. Like that alcohol chicken soup. Now that stuff is foul

6 Likes

It’s pretty common to find it just served along a slice of regular old, uncooked firm tofu. That’s how I tried it and it was fine. What made it gross was whatever sauce they put on the tofu actually. I had to scrape that off then I could enjoy the egg and tofu. I’d order it again.

1 Like