Is the theory test a written or an online test? (obtaining a driver's license)

I have been researching to no avail and would like to ask for a public help for those who know, is the theory test for getting a driver’s license a written test or a online test, and if so does the theory test have options in different language?

Yes, different languages

You do it on computers at the transportation office

Exactly the same as the online practice test. The link is around here somewhere…

Here you go:
https://www.mvdis.gov.tw/m3-simulator-drv/

3 Likes

much appreciated thank you, I had a hard time finding a straight answer online since most blogs never really exactly communicate that the theory test is and online test but say, “do the theory test”. once again thank you for helping me, much obliged.

1 Like

That’s because it’s not an online test. As TT mentioned, you need to take the test at the DMV but they are taken on a computer if that’s what you were really asking.

1 Like

Welcome to Forumosa, tell your friends :smiley:

1 Like

Hi apologies for hijacking the thread, but the information online hasn’t been too clear.

I’ve been trying to sign up to take the test online, but it seems like the system won’t let me because 1) it can’t find a health check for my ARC number, and 2) it says I have not had a driver’s permit for a month.

From tealist it seems like I could just sign up. Are there prerequisites? Does anyone know how to sign up online or should I just show up in person when ready?

You do have to go to a hospital and get a driving license health check as a first step. It wasn’t difficult. Usually there is one nearby the motor vehicle office.

For my first motorcycle license this wasn’t a requirement. For the second motorcycle license there is a requirement to have the first for a year. In your case, I don’t know (car license?), but you can just go the motor vehicle department and ask. You’ll have to go anyways to sit through an educational video which is another requirement

For the theory test or the driving test, no. My theory test was fully booked, every computer was taken. I did the driving test 3 times in 3 different locations because the entire city was overbooked, would have had to wait a month or more for some locations. Even if there is space, if you’re not in the system they can turn you away

I had a friend help with this, and she also had to talk to the human at motor vehicle office to sort it.

3 Likes
1 Like

What health problem would prevent you from getting a driving license?

Tealit says this:
Record your height and weight
Check your hearing - tuning fork sounded left and right, ask if you hear it.
A color blindness test.
Check to see if you have all 4 limbs.
Ask you to produce both your hands.
Get you to squat down and rise up one time.

But would they ask about any medications you’re on?

1. Visit the clinic by clicking on this link to find available clinics near you.
  2. At the clinic, you will be required to complete a form. Please provide your basic information, present your ARC (Alien Resident Card), NHI (National Health Insurance) card, and submit three recent color photographs.
  3. Once you have filled out the form, the doctor will review it and add any additional required information. After a successful health check, you will be eligible to proceed.
  4. Allow at least one day for the clinic to process and update your information in the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) system.
  5. Once your information has been added, you can proceed to sign up for the online test and driving test , however you need to first attend a safety class (about 2 hours)

*This is a sample of the form you need to fill out with your basic Info. Please ensure that you select the appropriate form based on your vehicle type (motorcycle or car)

sources:

2 Likes

No.

1 Like

Other than the simulator, how would you study for the test?

You’ll find the test questions here.

There is no official handbook of instructions so you’ll just need to learn the rules of the road by reading through the test questions, and then you’ll need to memorize all the questions and corresponding answers for the test.

1 Like

Since the simulator is the exact same as the actual test, I just did the test until I knew all the answers. There isn’t much reason to learn all the rules, if your goal is to pass the test.

I also advise making sure you know how the “practical” is scored and do a couple of test runs on the little track before the actual day

3 Likes

They’ll let you practice on the actual track?

Yes, and you really should.

There are times when the track is reserved for the test, other times it is just open. The lights and sensors will be off, but that’s ok

I needed to practice the opening slow straight, and also there is a tight u-turn that might need practice (or, just a different scooter). Some other parts of the “practical”, like pretending to shoulder check, you need to know where on the course it is expected

I suppose you need a friend to bring you with their scooter, or can you rent one? It sounds like it needs more practice than I expected. I don’t think I can manage that on my schedule. I haven’t ridden a scooter for 10 years, and my friends who have them are far from here.

Thats the easiest legal way, also some learner driver places do scooter courses now and will lend you the scooter. I saw one here in Pingtung I think it was 1300nt all in, but I just quickly notices the sign as I passed.

Maybe just an hour once before the actual test is enough, depending on your balance. You can rent, but I can’t remember if you can rent from the MVD when it isn’t test time, so you’ll have to ride your rental to the track

I hadn’t been on one for 10 years either, took a friend’s in a parking lot for 10 minutes and it is just like riding a bike. But the test track isn’t realistic, and is very specific

This is the same for car and heavy motorcycle, for my scooter test the locale driving school had a track panted on the floor and they let me go practice for free.

1 Like