In fact, it does. In a pure democracy, 51% of the people can vote to shit in breakfasts of the other 49% of the people.
This is precisely the reason that I do not believe that the issue of gay marriage should be put to a vote by “the people”.[/quote]
No, it isn’t. By “pure democracy” I mean a “direct democracy”. In a direct democracy, the majority of those eligible to vote make the rules.
I’m not arguing that blacks, gays, women, men or any other group should be oppressed because a majority decides to do so. I am very happy that the US system of democracy, a republican democracy, allows majority rule with protection of the minority.
But your idea of what is “proper” is an opinion. The fact is, in a pure (direct) democracy the majority rules. Whether that is “proper” or not often depends on the size and nature (homogenous vs. heterogenous) of the voting population. Jefferson very much liked direct democracies, but he understood that they usually work well, or “properly” only when the voting population is relatively small and relatively homogenous. Because the US was even in 1789 relatively large and the voting population was relatively heterogenous, the founding fathers agreed to form our government as a republican democracy, in order to prevent mob rule as warned by Madison.[/quote]
I agree, but the US has turned into more of a direct democracy over the years.
For example, the Founding Fathers intended that the President should be indirectly elected, but now the election is decided by popular vote. The electors in the electoral college are now expected to vote according to the popular vote in their state.
At state level, the US has a plethora of ballot initiatives every election time which are again a very obvious example of direct democracy.
Actually democracy in the UK is far less “pure” than in the US, referenda are exceedingly rare and the Prime Minister is not directly elected, but is simply the leader of which ever party controls the most seats in the House of Commons.