Is there some kind of disorder that makes your sweat smell like dirty baby wipes?

I know about this condition, but he doesn’t smell that bad. I think everyone else would notice if he did, and I’m the only one who’s really disturbed by his odor, as far as I know.

1 Like

I was worried about that. Or kidney failure. However, I think it’s testosterone.

I considered this, too. But the smell isn’t really characterized by sweetness in quite the same way diabetes smells are, in my experience. Although of course it could be different for everyone.

It’s a bit unsatisfying, but I’m starting to lean toward the immune system incompatibility theory. There is absolutely nothing about this person I find attractive even disregarding his weird smell. So I guess it’s just a natural revulsion. Maybe he finds me just as inexplicably ugly and stinky.

How close do you have to be in order to smell it? Is the smell noticeable everytime/all seasons?

How long have you been working with him? Your brain tends to just block out unpleasant smells if you’re exposed to them long enough.

I can smell it from about six feet away, but like I said, sensitive nose. Some days it’s stronger than others but generally it remains the same.

Long enough that I figured I’d get used to it by now, but I also regularly mitigate the issue with a swipe of tiger balm.

Maybe the fact that you find this guy unattractive is keeping your brain from blocking out the smell.

Come on, someone make a spam account and post a question about a co-worker who keeps putting tiger balm under their nose, and making the whole office smell bad!

Impossible. Tiger balm nice smell, very nice. Nobody dislike.

1 Like

Crafty :laughing:

It could also be medication that causes it. However, if you can smell it from such a distance, it would be weird if noone else has reacted which makes the incompatibility theory more likely. But wouldn’t that also cause you to have this issue with a lot more people than just him…

1 Like

It is unusual. I’ve liked people’s smells, felt neutral about them, and even disliked some, but I’ve never hated someone’s smell to this extent. Maybe I’ve just been lucky, and now my luck’s run out.

You’re a Beagle.

4 Likes

Male Taiwanese no wash in morning no wear deodorant smell.

1 Like

To his credit, he looks clean and not terribly greasy. So I think he’s bathing properly.

It’s a very hard issue to address. Years ago I managed a call centre. There was an Anglo Asian guy who reeked. I got so many complaints about it from the other employees. In the end I bottled it and sent it up to HR.

Could you do that?

Naw, I’m managing alright with my tiger balm technique. I don’t feel a need to see HR about it. This thread is motivated mainly by my curiosity. The mystery of the coworker’s weird smell…

3 Likes

Moldy (?) clothes? Clothes that don’t dry properly sometimes get this old washcloth smell that’s a little bit sweet and very much gross and the smell is impossible to get rid of after that. I’m not entirely sure the cause is mold, I just know the smell all too well.

4 Likes

Oh I’m familiar enough with this smell that I’d know immediately if that’s what it was. Several of the engineers in the office smell like that. Yuck!