Is this beer "famous" in its country?

So I’ve been buying “weird” beers in Taiwan for a while, and I wonder if some of them are of any relevance at all in their countries of origin, or if they are just some weird or low level stuff that somehow got exported to Asia. It would be cool if you guys helped to rate how famous/known/good are these findings in your country (I mean, the beers from your country that are sold here in Taiwan).

I will start asking about this one (I never saw it in my country):

Never seen it before. I looked it up, it’s dutch.

Just to make sure… you aren’t Dutch, right?

EDIT: it should be this one:

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/weidmann-weissbier-dunkel/220572/

The highest rating is from a guy in Taiwan xD

I’m not dutch. Is the beer tasty?

Hefeweissen is tricky, esp. in the sub-tropics. I’d probably pass on that one.

1 Like

I think I enjoyed it, but probably because I wanted to enjoy it.

Please further develop that .

Brewing hefeweissen is tricky because esters released can easily give off a banana aroma, which (for me) kills the deal. Storing hefeweizen in the sub-tropics is tricky because, as noted, it’s sensitive.

In fact, to me there is only one hefeweissen worth drinking, and it’s German (and it’s not dunkel). Not a big fan of the style, though.

2 Likes

Since it’s fake German/Bavarian (“Weidmann is a fun German wheat beer that helps to be always gemütlich.”), I guess Fei-Fan and I are qualified :stuck_out_tongue:

All I can say is look at their website https://www.weidmannbier.com . Cultural appropriation! Triggered! Do you think this is a “famous” beer? :wink: To answer your question, it seems to be aimed especially at export. Not even a dutch (or German?) version of the website is available:

Weidmann2

Oh, and the graphics designers need to take some physics class about basic gravity topics :rofl:

Weidmann

4 Likes

@ranlee doesn’t this thread belong in “fun & games”? O_o

Thanks for your feedback guys. I think this thread can help to learn more about the beers local market and also about beer in general. I will go through the pictures in my phone to see if I have any of some other weird beers…

Allowing for centrifugal effects…

1 Like

On a non-beer note I found a weird canned mojito in the 711, made in Korea I think. That’s me sorted for the summer. Got a big mint bush on my balcony, polish vodka in the freezer to add a wee kick. :tropical_drink::tropical_drink::tropical_drink::sick:

1 Like

Yeah, that’s weird stuff. I don’t know if I can really trust my memories from so long time ago, but I’d say that by the time I came here you could even find sangría in the supermarkets or perhaps convenience stores. Needless to say that I never tried it out.

So the next exotic beer is…

(I posted this picture before!)

Again, Not famous in Germany. It’s brewed in Germany by Karlsberg for export only.

1 Like

Are you positive about that? You have looked it up or you already knew it?

I read an German article.

1 Like

This is the opposite of the Taiwanese business model. Taiwan exports the good stuff and dumps the crappy stuff on the local market. Europe exports the crappy stuff and keeps the good stuff for itself. Not sure which is smarter.

6 Likes

Out of curiosity… are you German?

There’s again a review from Taiwan. Sorry, actually two (and a third one from Greece):

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/ottweiler-dunkel/259290/