Is traffic the worst part of Taiwan's lingering third worldism?

I’ve seen some scooter hate on these very threads, but apparently BMW drivers can do no wrong :thinking:

1 Like

If he’s not turning right and he’s doing the speed limit, he’s in the right place. There’s no painting on the road saying he can’t be there, and no reason for excessive speed on the urban roads. BMW driver should have the license revoked

1 Like

This is properly shocking. Viewer discretion

2 Likes

I mean, srsly, wtf my dude on the scooter???

2 Likes

Jesus…maybe he was speeding? But still, shouldn’t the driver see him coming and wait for him to pass or did he do the usual thing where he forced his way in and the scooter didn’t have enough time to slow down?

I blame the scooter on this one, truck was signalling in advance and well across the road. If the scooter was paying attention and still couldn’t stop, waaaaay too fast

4 Likes

He didn’t even attempt to brake or avoid. Just went straight. Fell asleep?

3 Likes

Although there is a valid point on the scooter going too fast and not being aware, its still incumbent on the truck driver to wait until the road ahead of him is clear before he starts the manoeuvre to turn left across the carriageway.

4 Likes

While I don’t disagree, and certainly I am regularly cut off by people who should wait, some drivers speed so excessively that even though the road seems clear and they seem far away, suddenly they are there!

4 Likes

Forcing drivers to brake is so common here. Especially with the larger vehicles.

3 Likes

It’s also incumbent on the driver to follow the traffic laws and not cross the double yellow lines.

1 Like

The truck was turning left into a driveway. Is that not allowed in Taiwan?

In most places I know of, double yellow lines just means no passing, but you can still turn left.

1 Like

Crossing double yellow lines is illegal in Taiwan.

Wow that’s a strict rule. It doesn’t seem like the truck can make a U-turn at the end of the street, so the driver would have to circle the block to be able to go into the driveway.

Not to mention that no way trucks that size can exit that place without crossing the double yellow, no matter in which direction they’re turning.

It’s a strange system for me. There’s only double continuous yellow and single discontinue yellow in Taiwan. The mix of continuous for one side of the road and discontinues for the other side is a very important feature in many countries.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, I didn’t notice that. If the scooter came around a sharp corner and there was suddenly a truck there that does make a bit of difference. If, but…

It makes no sense here. Dashed lines on a curves where passing is a bad idea, double lines on straight sections if road where passing should be allowed

That’s true too. So, a bad implementation of an incomplete system.

1 Like

From what we can see it feels unlikely. However, if so wouldn’t the scooter rider try to pull his bike down? As opposed to going head first into a vehicle.

1 Like

That exists in many places in Taiwan, surface streets and freeways all have in appropriate areas.

1 Like

In Miaoli a police car backed up to let a car turn left on a double yellow.

Also in Miaoli a police officer on a scooter did a two-stage turn but after getting into the box ran the red light and was hit by a vehicle. He didn’t have sirens on.

5 Likes