Is traffic the worst part of Taiwan's lingering third worldism?

It’s almost as if they’re in a 3rd world country and have never seen or heard of traffic lights and basic traffic rules in general… or even just common sense.

Then road like this would be off limits for cars. Not possible to drive past without touching the double yellow. I don’t know why they would put a double yellow there.
Cars on the right are parked legally, the red line ends there. On the left there is trash and plants placed, then cars parked.

What would you do? Stop and call the police?
Turn around?
Or just drive in the middle on top of double yellow?

3 Likes

Yellow lines, red lines, 停, 讓, 慢, zebras, traffic lights… Why bother.

3 Likes

You’re allowed to drive over double yellow lines to avoid obstacles such as parked vehicles and cyclists, as long as you don’t cross completely into the opposite lane.

Double yellow line

You mean that trucks are allowed to cross on double yellow lines?

Read the whole thread before posting.

1 Like

This is the place:

Yes, there is a double yellow line. But, in a country without roundabouts (so no easy U-turn at the next intersection) in such a straight road with good visibility, just 2 lanes and many businesses in one side, is it really necessary the double yellow? I mean, forbidding overpassing is perfectly reasonable, but forbidding left turns in property entrances in perfectly straight sections… I don´t know.

Reduce the speed limit (now it is 40 for heavy vehicles and 50 for everyone else), make sure vehicles comply with the speed limit (there are plenty of design options to do this). Place speed control measures nearby entrances.

I know, it is too much to ask for Taiwan. Because this is how they do things here:
Down the road (same direction the truck was travelling) there is a signal forbidding heavy vehicles to turn left. So, who knows where the trucks must go to turn around. I am sure what this truck was doing is daily practice.

This is the signalling in the intersection where trucks cannot turn left at certain times.

WTF.

4 Likes

I believe the “no left turn” sign refers to what looks like a highway exit off-ramp on the left, while the left turn lane sign is for the on-ramp up ahead.

3 Likes

Yes, it is what you say. There is also a no entry sign further left. But it is a mess.

2 Likes

Yeah, messy but not surprising. You see confusing things like this all the time in the US as well.

Taiwan really went off the deep end in the 50’s/60’s when they abandoned the Japanese style road infrastructure and adopted the US style.

2 Likes

Happened last year, Feb. 2022.
Verdict just came out and driver that caused the accident was finally sentenced to 10 months.

A baseball player gets doored by an illegally parked Uber car while riding on his scooter and it sends him into a gravel truck which kills him.

3 Likes

That is terrible, and why I never ride near parked vehicles.

Not only was the car illegally parked, but the passenger illegally tried to exit from the left side.

In related news, a delivery worker is killed by a scooter when he was about to get to his truck.

4 Likes

Looks like he’s parked on the red line

7 Likes

Serves him right.

EDIT: ok, bad joke.

Not a joke, he could have killed someone else (like the baseball player). What this is is an example to other people that park illegally, at least be careful when you open your door and get out

3 Likes

I meant I made a bad joke.

And i meant, with no humor, serves him right

Sad that such selfish and careless behavior continues to cost lives. But if someone had to die, serves him right.

How are they supposed to do their job? There aren’t designated areas.

3 Likes