Is traffic the worst part of Taiwan's lingering third worldism?

Not in Taipei they don’t.

So including both A1 and A2 statistics, would taiwan have the same stats as new zealand?

Funny. My friend got pulled over by turning left instead of hook turning in old Kaohsiung County.

My first pulled over in Taiwan experience!

She was fined $2000.

1 Like

Taoyuan also has a lot of aggressive and poor drivers (doesn’t matter what category of vehicle they are all shit) who routinely run red lights because they are speeding or think that the first red in a set of two lights isn’t important. The only reason you don’t see fights these days is the fear of gangsters and cameras everywhere .

The worst places for scooter riders are those very busy mixed light and heavy vehicle avenues in places such as Yonghe or Kaohsiung. Mixing scooters with trucks and buses is madness. Years ago I saw a serious accident every week in zhonghe. It was literally blood on the streets and I myself was hit from behind once and very fortunate to not get crushed by a bus.

And a lot of scooter drivers behaviour is deplorable and idiotic. Which many then continue when they graduate to four wheels.

Serious thumbs down for Taiwanese drivers and the piggies who enable it. :-1::-1::-1:

6 Likes

I don’t disagree with any of this.

Guy

I lived there for 3 months. down a side street, and still saw crashes.

2 Likes

I don’t think I ever turned in the box area when I lived in Kaohsiung. Even the whole ride across the pedestrian line to double turn. But too be fair everyone else did too, even 5 years ago. When I went back two years ago NOBODY dared to do that anymore. I assume traffic enforcement must have been stepped up.

That’s pretty much the solution. Greater but not selective enforcement.

2 Likes

Young lady from El Salvador killed by cement truck changing lanes.

3 Likes

Looks like it drives over her as the truck raises, possibly her head.
No big deal though, taiwan is only as bad as new zealand, its not like we get these stories every day or anything.

3 Likes

Goddamnit… This is really the only major thing for me keeping Taiwan from being a really nice country. I can overlook a lot of other things wrong here since I can find a lot of issues in the US or Europe also but seriously… Fix this shet legislators, police or society

6 Likes

So if there is no story then there is no collision?

:thinking:

Or are collisions so normalised in other countries that news don’t bother reporting on them unless they’re notable?

Oh, here’s one in Canada, wow, that country is so bad, look everyone! See! Collision happened in Canada!

Last three days. Took me 30 seconds to find. Quit unnecessarily manipulating the narrative and quit pretending that Taiwan is the only place that has road deaths. Taiwan isn’t special in terms of road deaths.

If I use your strawmanning, I can make ANY place look dangerous. lmfao :rofl:

Riding a scooter is dangerous in Taiwan, pretty much everybody has been in an accident and knows people who’ve been in serious accidents. I have minor scars and could have broken my back. I know people who have broken bones, lost fingers, facial scars, burned their legs. They just aren’t designed for safety and then you mix in the local free for all.

7 Likes

The blatant flouting of traffic rules is gonna make Taiwan a confirmed 3rd world country soon enough, if they don’t do anything about it. The craze of running thru red lights, unnecessary speeding, revving, riding over the road/curb edge….

5 Likes

And the driver is completely clueless. No shoulder or mirror checks obviously. Or as is typical, he saw her and expected her to get out of the way as he made an illegal lane change as most other Taiwanese do when they see a big truck.

3 Likes

Imagine the difference in press coverage and punishment if the driver is:

1. Son of the soil vs.
  2. Foreigner
2 Likes

I think she’s in the blindspot. Nevertheless he switched far too quickly. She was also too close and seemed to brake at the last second whereas she should accelerate away. Anyway RIP.

I never stay in those blind slots for more than a second or so because I know they either can’t see me or don’t care. But he’s still fully responsible IMO since the one who changes lanes needs to be sure its clear. You can’t see you don’t move. The truck signals for 3 seconds and figures he’s done his due diligence

3 Likes

We know what the punishment will be.

The foreign community needs to begin with sticking up for themselves. Obviously it needs to be soft approach otherwise we will be punished and ostracized further.

But these incidents are common.

We treat the Taiwanese like children who can’t handle criticism. These are the outcomes.

3 Likes

English article.

Donation page for those looking to help the family with costs.

2 Likes

Still on the crusade ? Your argument was based on stats, which were proven by other posters to not represent the true number of accidents.

You are wrong on this one marco. Taiwan may not be one of the worst in the world but its still pretty bad and its still lagging behind in this area of its development.

4 Likes