Is traffic the worst part of Taiwan's lingering third worldism?

The first table? I was looking at the second one.

So, that is the difference between A1 and A1+A2.

Please don’t post videos which give a comic book-type treatment to horrific accidents, thanks. There’s no benefit to them. This is a local trend apparently, but I don’t see a place for them here.

3 Likes

Level 3 has fixed the pollution.

Another article about the young lady from El Salvador, Laura, that was killed not all that long ago in May.

Includes some words from her father as well.

1 Like

Worst part of Taiwan’s lingering “Third Worldism”?
I’m going with illegal home temples, street Taoism, ghost money burning, and other holdovers from the bronze age.

2 Likes

So…you think the local culture and religion is ‘third world’?

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Sounds pretty chauvinistic to me.

1 Like

I have to admit burning rituals make me uncomfortable.

2 Likes

It’s a terrible idea in cities. These daoists (or whatever they imagine themselves to be) can switch over to electronic payments as some temples have already done.

Guy

4 Likes

No. Our local Taoists think themselves above the law, and that’s very Third-Worldly. In the end, it’s a rule of law issue.

2 Likes

Well that might be your strategic error. Rule of law here is not really the determining factor in figuring out how things work.

Guy

…and that smells “Third-Worldy” to me.

1 Like

That’s not what third world actually means or describes.

1 Like

Yeah it may help for some folks to research “non-aligned movement” and “Bandung conference” for more details. :rofl:

Guy

1 Like

Strictly speaking, considering that the Soviet bloc no longer exists, yes. “Undeveloped World” just doesn’t have the same dash in my opinion.

1 Like

And Taiwan is already proven to be first world and fully developed.

Who gives a shit what some rando on the street does if he’s not directly and actively hurting people?

Don’t like the guy? Walk away. It’s so easy. :roll:

Or maybe your country becomes developed when you have this guy on your streets.

I just smell the developmentness!

Developed/First World? Sure, except when you turn off the main streets, or get out into the industrial suburbs.

1 Like

Nope. Try again. Taiwan is developed nationwide.

For me, one of the most surprising things here in Taiwan is the general lack of care for potential body harm.
Maybe it’s just low safety standards, or just being used to be in a high danger environment all the time (like being in the road, specially as a pedestrian), but I’m having to adapt to certain behaviors and situations more than I’d like…

Things like not wearing the safety-belt the moment you sit on the car, sometimes delaying to wear it “on the next red light”, or just not wear it at all because we are “just driving for 5 minutes and we are sitting in the back anyway”.

Why take ANY chance? I don’t get it.

Also chances taken:
High-speeding drivers are common (like the ones that drive their cars full-speed after the light turned red and honk twice to be “safe”).
Motorbikes carrying cargo (sometimes hazardous) in the most unsafe ways.
Lack of any meaningful fire-hazard prevention on old stores and buildings.

And about construction workers and heavy-lifting jobs… it seems to me the disregard for safety and body health seems to generally be part of the job here.

Is it lack of awareness? Lack of laws? Lack of enforcement?

Tbh also being disabled in Taiwan is like being a third-world citizen, in terms of how the infrastructure treats you (I can’t speak for how other people treat you).

1 Like

My neighborhood is ruled by three neighborhood temples and some rich old people who pay off the cops… and this is not the only hick town in this small nation.

2 Likes