Is traffic the worst part of Taiwan's lingering third worldism?

Damn, you missed some Asian countries where they don’t use toilet paper at all, or less, depending.

I love the way you open with a straw man argument, then proceed to put words in my mouth. I’ll take your apology now if one is one offer.
But to continue, If you’re really interested in why I think illegal (key word illegal) street Taoism is “backward”, then I’d be happy to share my thoughts. Hint: it has to do with legitimate secular authority and rule of law.

1 Like

How long have you been in Taiwan?

Guy

1 Like

Why is that relevant? You are distracting yourself from my point.

2 Likes

I dont, I think it holds Taiwan back. Id like the fucking scooters off the street and the traffic to be better. I would also like to be able to walk around cities easily

3 Likes

Taiwan does have strict laws for some stuff, in my opinion for the wrong stuff. Too much fucking stuff.
As George Carlin would say.

1 Like

The scooters were there long before you and I came to Taiwan and will be there long after we aren’t here. I’m fine with that. Traffic rules being enforced uniformily I can get behind.
As far as walking around easier, many cities have banned parking on sidewalks so it’s a big improvement

1 Like

Loads of Taiwanese dont like Scooters everywhere. A city like Taipei doesnt really need them and if people want to ride a scooter in Taipei, they should pay more.

Traffic and walking around most cities is still shit. I want Taiwan to look and feel relative to how wealthy it is, and I think most Taiwanese under 40 feel the same as me. People are sick of all the ugliness and mess.

3 Likes

This is true, lots of young people in Taipei if they do scooter they do electric, they take the cage from the buildings, they are cleaner.
Walking and parks I didn’t see any improvement in 4 years living in Taipei, where in my “third world country” they invested a lot of money and is amazing how fast is changed, same for city planning, bus lane, etc.

3 Likes

Taiwan is wealthy yes, for the engineers and the laobans, not your average worker or 711 clerk, Starbucks barista etc. That is who is on the scooters. The rich are in their BMWs and no amount of tax will stop them from driving. My opinion, for what little it’s worth, is that Taiwan doesn’t need any China style bans on motorized scooters. People should be able to drive what they want, when they want.

Make them follow the laws sure. But telling people what they can ride or taxing them for making the decision to ride… naw
Gonna be a no from me dawg to channel Randy Jackson

2 Likes

If people want to drive in cities, they should pay more for parking, congestion charges etc. Cities should make driving as inconvenient and costly as possible and make walking, cycling and public transport as convenient and inexpensive as possible. That way you let people make the decisions by themselves and for those who have to drive, they can pay extra for the privilege.

Or put it this way, they take up vital real estate in the city and pollute more, so have to pay their way.

Cars are for trips to Costco or family trips, not for getting around cities.

3 Likes

You waited two months to say this?

:rofl:

I already explained my counter points. I did not put any words in your mouth. I made my points.

5 Likes

Very sad Taiwanese never improved since I lived here.

1 Like

Every time I go out for a drive here at least 2-3 people fail to turn on their headlights at night. It’s even worse on a rainy day. It’s like their so unaware of their vehicle or wtf they’re doing. Can’t count how many times I see people here fail to check oncoming traffic before merging. Its like they just expect the oncoming driver to do the job of serving around, that includes drunk drivers I guess

12 Likes

They’ve been to the temple. They don’t need to worry about anything. The gods will protect them.

6 Likes

When you’re preoccupied with things like your mother-in-law’s health, gambling debt, kid’s education, bank balance, fried food options, TCM/Western medicine clinic wait times, who your son/daughter is going to marry and/or your parents held your hand through life until your 40s, you might not be attuned to the traffic patterns either.

8 Likes

Ah that channel has a lot of videos, one of the channels/groups run by locals that are pretty fed up with the traffic situation in Taiwan. This same channel also used video released by the Govt. and spliced in footage of accidents and what driving in Taiwan is really like so as to show what driving in Taiwan can be like to foreigners.

I can’t find the original video without all the cuts/spliced footage added in but it’s relatively new.

5 Likes

Yes, astounding, poor spatial awareness and lack of anticipation

6 Likes