Is traffic the worst part of Taiwan's lingering third worldism?

You have to get people to stay on them on the first place, and follow a reasonable speed limit because one accident shuts down the whole system

I’ve been in single file scooter lanes and still had people get right up behind me and squeeze me over so they can pass. If anything, it is more dangerous

2 Likes

But the kinds of accident in this type of single file will not involve 4 wheel vehicles, hence very manageable and frankly, not lethal. I’d build the lane 5 feet wide, not wide enough for the scooter behind to overtake. If backed up, Google Maps will tell them to reroute. No big deal.

1 Like

Lol, how often do you ride a white plate in Taiwan?

Only works if everyone uses Google maps all the time. I don’t use it on routes that I know well, saves the battery

Could be lethal, depending on speed and helmet quality. As for managable, your barriers and the scooters packed in will not make removal easy

Never. Motorcycles can go on regular vehicle lanes, I’m fine with that.

Visualize a bicycle lane with posts and bollards separating it from the car lane. 5 feet wide to me seems just right. The concept is very simply, just make it applicable to scooters too. I’m not reinventing the wheel.

1 Like

And this will go everywhere in the country? How will it fit ?

I’m sorry, it just seems to me you haven’t thought it through very far, or very realistically

So where will cars park or stop, if they cant access the legal spaces or the red lines or double park? Will drivers have to walk across the dedicated scooter lane to pick up their tea or drop off their kids?

Can start in any city X that is willing to live a dignified life and not look 3rd-world-ish. Any ambitious politician can do it to make a name for himself. Once they solve the scooter problem, they simultaneously will have already solved the pedestrian/sidewalk problem easily, EASILY!

Lol, if he leads with the lack of dignity and 3rd worldism, will definitely make a name!

Whatever other solutions you have in your head that are not the same as mine, I already thought of and they will fail. You just have to trust me, the problem is a physical problem - the mobility of the scooters on the one hand, vs the degree or amount of freedom you’re allowing. Entropy , do you understand? (I don’t want to make physicists cringe but conceptually I’d use that word to describe)

Your idea really won’t “solve” the scooter problem. People who want to go faster than a grandma will drive on the sidewalk or in car lanes, leading to more of the same problems.

1 Like

It causes so many more problems than it solves, but I guess for a five year old it makes sense

1 Like

Um no. Those people that you describe will become the exceptions rather than the norm. With my proposal, law enforcement can focus on the exceptions. The majority will be peer-pressured to be confined by physical barrier of the 1-lane-1-file. I am Taiwanese and I know very well the group behaviour. Establish the norm and the rest will follow. Tip over the scale. Cross the 50% threshold. Get it?

No, it is cultural

Raise the fines and enforce the laws?

1 Like

Aaaaand there goes my interest in this discussion for a while

1 Like

These people are the exception (but not by much) in the current lane design. It will definitely become the norm if somebody tries to implement this ridiculously idiotic idea.

The only special lane you need is for the bus, making everyone jam except for buses, double or triple the number of buses, make roads single way too. Make public transport to actually no sucks.

1 Like

It’s too late for wishy-washy humanist approach. Culture or not culture, who cares.

BUIlD THE WALL.

At least we got some amusement from it :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Just pay people for reporting traffic violations. Slap a huge fine on the offenders and remit the money to the first reporter.

4 Likes

Reducing the number of scooters and increasing slower bikes and ebikes in particular is the way to go.

Most riders dont need scooters, an ebike would be just fine. Or just walk and buses.

Changing the speeding behaviour on scooters and cars is also key.

How with this society and this police force?

3 Likes