Is Xi Done For!? Rumors Abound!

Social media is throbbing with news of a coup in China and Xi under house arrest! Indian media seems to be driving much of it as are Xi’s friends in the FLG.

Are we going to have new neighbors?! Fake news?! Do we need time to tell or can it be called right now?!

2 Likes

Probably indian media isnt the most unbiased source for such things.

It would be nice, but then the worry with crazy countries is always the same: How nutty is the new guy?

Flights could be grounded to prevent a coup, or for zero COVID

Military vehicles going to Beijing ahead of the October meeting seems not surprising. Could also be a show of force to prevent a coup or preparations for a potential COVID lockdown

Xi has been locking up rivals for years, why would that lead to a coup now?

He could have left the SCO meeting early because of Putin/Ukraine stuff

All of the “signs” of a coup have other easy explanations, no wonder the CCP isn’t rushing to grace the rumors with the honor of a response

Wishful thinking, grasping at straws. Seems unlikely there is anything here, but even if there were we likely won’t know until the October meeting when they announce his replacement. We need time

2 Likes

Science fiction sells better than reality. From 10 years ago: " A few months before his ascendancy to the party leadership, Xi disappeared from official media coverage and cancelled meeting with foreign officials for several weeks beginning on 1 September 2012, causing rumors.[9] He then reappeared on 15 September.[57] On 15 November 2012, Xi was elected to the posts of general secretary of the CCP and chairman of the CMC by the 18th Central Committee of the CCP."

Edit: Lifted from Wikipedia. Some people don’t trust the later, but remember this was an event from 10 years ago.

I still say “fake news” until I see at least a whiff of this in at least one semi-legitimate news source. Hell, I’d even settle for a FoxNews or HuffPo speculative piece. But even sensational sources aren’t touching this (at least the ones not from India or Twitter accounts).

If he is under house arrest, and I also doubt it, it would be the economy stupid.

They night be communists, but damn they love those shiny things.

1 Like

For some reason, my Youtube feed is filled with “the CCP is done for” videos. One of them even has the temerity to say that the CCP will be bankrupt in exactly 27 days. Not 26, not 25 not 30, exactly 27. Number of views: 1.6 million. It’s pretty sad really.

1 Like

Based on what… On nothing.

It’s the classic Internet trick. Say something a little wrong and hoards of people will come to correct you boosting engagement, then the rest of your point is shown to more people.

1 Like

The thing is I’ve never clicked on any political videos. They are all junk anyways. Like I use Youtube mostly to watch snippets of Anime/TV Series I like, or listen to songs. How the hell did Youtube determine that I would want to watch anything related to US, Chinese or even sometimes … Senegal politics? Youtube is becoming junkier and junkier. Business must be hard nowadays.

Something triggers the algo.

The algo is mysterious.

2 Likes

Rumour’s what?

That much we agree with, but at the same time as someone who occasionally works with Machine Learning models, the goal’s the same as in get more clicks, and it’s the most “controversial” (will most likely to get viewers emotionally engaged) content that usually gets recommended. It’s just like when Trump was still President. Why push content that’s middle of the road if you can push Trump related content all day?

I wish I had an answer.

Saw this yesterday and wondered if people would post, a search on Twitter yesterday had the top result suggesting it was fake news.

https://twitter.com/Terror_Alarm/status/1573456535828692999

Today some stuff from Indian news, I’d say file it under fake news for now and wait and see if that changes.

2 Likes

We only know for sure that’s it’s fake news when the evil MSM report it, and AFAIK they haven’t substantially done yet.

2 Likes

The US has made far more from weapons sales to Taiwan alone than any Hollywood movie how china oppresses Taiwan :wink: Reality still sells well.

The real tell would be when CCP puppet nations, like singapore, start reporting it. India has a fairly healthy dislike towards china. I would view their reporting in similar ways as the DPP channels here, but without consequences.

I give the odds of this being true about 1%

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.opindia.com/2022/09/rumours-of-military-coup-in-china-and-arrest-of-xi-jinping-turns-out-to-be-false/amp/

Even the woman who posted about it before now says it’s not true.

Anyhow, would having Jintao or the PLA in charge be any better? I dunno anything about Jintao

What are you talking about? Have they found the Iraq WMDs yet?