Is Xi Really That Bad?

As if the same kind of things didn’t happen in Taiwan. Never has freedom just been given to people without them fighting for it. China needs its own Cheng Nan-jung (鄭南榕), Chan I-hua (詹益樺), Cheng Tzu-tsai (鄭自才) and Peter Huang (黃文雄) in addition to just waiting for their own LTH.

None of it would happen if there aren’t some people constantly feeling basic rights are worth fighting for.

4 Likes

Its not the same. CCP has much larger and more sophisticated surveillance apparatus and are absolutely ruthless.

Do you have a roadmap for how resistance could be achieved? Bearing in mind that they will use tanks on their own students

A lot of the kids who got arrested in the white paper protests last year haven’t even resurfaced.

But more to the point, don’t get your info on China from frigging Laowhy86

Is the average American complicit for tortures that happened at Guantanamo bay or Abu Gharib?

Yes, of course they are. Or do you think because it is Americans, now it’s different?
Even more so as it is a democracy where people have even more say than any dictatorship, if you believe the books. Or are you now seriously trying to sell the idea that the American people are totally innocent to all the shady stuff that surfaced the light? Once they know and don’t act, they are complicit. Period.

And yeah, I know you got conditioned quite well to see the Nazis as something comepltely else than any other regime in history. Everyone needs a good boogeyman. But I guess it doesn’t cross your mind then that those Nazi soldiers were fighting for their lifes, their families and their country same as any other soldier of any other army.

Yes they have built a high-tech surveillance state. But he hasnt killed 6 million Jews or started a world war

No, the communist have even killed a lot more of their own. And it does not matter a bit if it is jews, blacks, asians or caucasians that got killed. It was humans that got wiped off the earth as if they are mannequins. And this CCP is still ruling the country and the Chinese are still alive who went through this.

I am not the one looking for simple answers here. If you bother reading my comments, you might see that. Anyway, have a nice day, sir!

1 Like

Wait, are you saying average random Johnny Americano is responsible for Abu Graib, but we all need to get over the brainwashing and have some sympathy for Nazi stormtroopers?

2 Likes

I don’t think they are complicit to be honest.

Doesn’t make much sense.

Nazis are bad

CCP is bad

We can agree there. But you are making a connection that because they are both bad, they are the same thing

alright, I think you are not interested too much in nuance from your comments. But have a good day

I am saying that citizen of a country that are actually in the know what their government is doing, share responsibility, especially in a democracy where they actually have a choice and a voice. Or do you want to give the Americans a general pardon for everything their country does on the world stage now? Did we already reach that point of hypocrisy?

There wasn’t a roadmap for Cheng Nan-jung, Chan I-hua, Cheng Tzu-tsai, Peter Huang or any of Taiwanese freedom fighters either. They just did what they could, trying to form a consensus.

The issue with China is they had 30 years between the 90s to the 2010s to accomplish this before deep-learning assisted automated surveillance became a reality. However, they squandered it just because there was money to be made.

I can understand now how truly modern surveillance has made any organized freedom fighting near impossible, but they’ve had their opportunity. They just chose to count their RMB.

4 Likes

But once it became public, there was outcry and it was shut down

Ok, someone needs to calm down

Yeah… like tanks… shooting students.

How would you get around that?

Yes, and that is a great thing (the thing it became public and was shut down). That is what I call “owning up the mitakes”. But how Snowden is handled is still very problematic if you ask me.

Sorry if I am getting emotional, but it is not as easy to have a discussion in a foreign language and getting the point across but keep being misunderstood. It is a bit frustrating.

Imagine how hard it is for us to understand your Nazi fixation. :wall:

2 Likes

Imagine how hard it is for me as a German to understand the American fixation on their own culture and history :person_shrugging:

We all know our own history best and then some bits of others. I can’t give you many details on other dictatorships, as I didn’t learn much about them in history class but sure did learn a lot about my own. I guess this is the same in every country. So when I take the Nazis as an example, I do this because it simply is within my best knowledge compared to Mussolini and Italy, Stalin and Russia, Khmer and Cambodia, etc.

I am sure you can enlighten me with tons of details about the American civil war I am not even aware of.

I would never have known you were German if you didn’t remind me with each and every post.

You maybe. I read books.

Damn, you must be damn knowledgeble. I didn’t know there were books I could read up on. Please tell me more :slight_smile:

We have a thread for that. Guess who’s the top poster?

1 Like

Neat that we have a thread for that. Didn’t know. Is there also a thread for CGI/VFX artists? Would love to connect with fellow artist.

I also dropped a quick list of my favorite sci-fi books, if you are into that :slight_smile:

Not sure. But there are badges for doing the tutorials, search function probably comes up in there…

1 Like

That’s just a timeline difference. they didnt have it back in the day.

Basically, the best time to deal with them was yesterday and the second best time to deal with them is now.

It is not going to become easier as we swing around the sun.

Same could be said for the international community.

I don’t understand what you mean. There has never been a time when meaningful resistance was possible in the last 30 years. The 80s were the most liberal time in China and the time when people were most open about voicing criticisms. This ended when the party sent tanks and soldiers against students