Israel declares state of war after terrorist attacks

Those optics are just awful. Right. Optics, because Shirley there isn’t any other connection. :grimacing: :ok_hand:

Joe Biden Faces Fury Over Iran Deal as Israel Attacked (msn.com)

“I’m sure the fact that Joe Biden gave $6,000,000,000 to Iran had nothing to do with Hamas declaring war on Israel on Shabbat,” posted Afshine Emrani.

Airstrikes have killed about 200 Palestinians so far.

Israel Gaza live updates: We are at war, says Israel’s PM, after major attack - BBC News

And the Israeli military has really been caught with its pants down.

Yip as there were initially in 73-----wonder if they’ll be a modern type of Agranat Commission to look into the possible intel failures.

Agranat Commission - Wikipedia

1 Like

It isn’t cool that they continue to encroach on and annex the Palestinian Territories. I would agree with a two state solution, or full integration

6 Likes

Two state was viable thirty years ago after the Oslo accords when Rabin was in power. A lot has changed since then. Especially after today, there’s no way that’s happening in the next few decades (I never say “never” but… it’ll be a looooong time before that’s a serious discussion again).

3 Likes

Oh, I’m not holding my breath. Just seems to me people have the right of self determination

3 Likes

I’ve been very critical of Israel and the Netanyahu government in the past, but this was the stupidest thing Hamas could’ve done and I feel like perhaps Iran put them up to it. I have to be honest, I’ve temporarily lost all sympathy for the Palestinian cause when their government is sanctioning missions to target enemy civilians, including women and children. Maybe I’ll regain some balance once this plays out a bit, but a lot of what I’ve seen today has made my blood boil… a bit similar to what I felt after 9/11 and the initial Russian invasion of Ukraine.

6 Likes

Ok, but I was responding to this

And I don’t agree with what Hamas has done, either.

There is a third path here…

2 Likes

I also believe in self-determination but a country cannot condone a border with a hostile enemy that wants them driven into the sea. Hamas is a cancer that needs to be eradicated and replaced. With what, I don’t know. But before there can be statehood there has to be a sustained peace and acceptance. Sorry @TT if it seems like I’m piling on you, I’m not. I’m just venting my thoughts as I process this.

2 Likes

The illegal settlements don’t help to change any minds. Basically it is the same thing in my mind.

Yeah, I’m not pro hamas. I just don’t think Israel is above criticism, that shouldn’t be a difficult concept

Illegal settlements, as far as I’m concerned Israel has the power to extend an olive branch and chooses the opposite.

All good

3 Likes

The human beings who currently exist in the Palestinian Territories totally exist.

3 Likes

Sure, would love to see them integrated as full citizens into the Jordanian state. The late King Hussein understood. They themselves are incapable of governing as we have seen again and again. Always shoot themselves in the feet.

Jordan doesn’t want them. Can you blame them?

1 Like

Given Black September in the 1970s, no. But I don’t see them as capable of going it alone.

1 Like

Your method won’t solve the violence either.

I can’t imagine a Palestinian state either. Maybe Jordan and Egypt can take a small part of the west bank and Gaza but the majority have to be integrated into Israel. No one else can handle so many nutjobs.

1 Like

I agree, but the thing is all those settlements are in the West Bank. Hamas baselessly attacked a bunch of border towns and kibbutz within Israel’s 1948 borders today. The killers behind this are total animals that need to be put down. Once they’re gone we can get back to talking about how batshit counterproductive it is to build settlements in the West Bank, especially as many of those orthodox zionists refuse to serve in the army themselves. But they weren’t the targets today.

1 Like

I don’t think it is realistic to isolate these things as separate

Hamas is fucked up and sucks. The rub is, WTF is Hamas going to do other than terrorist attacks? Israel continues with settlements that basically the entire international community says is illegal, but does nothing about. Hamas even won a democratically contested election, they had revenue cut off. They have no leverage whatsoever, have no prospects, and so shitty options start to look like the only option.

You down with settlements and destroying civilian infrastructure and razing neighborhoods in retribution? Some of the “self.defense” by troops against protesters make US police brutality look like child’s play.

I bet most civilians there, like most civilians everywhere, just want to live their life.

Ah yes, that won’t create more terrorists, at all.

What happened when Hamas won election to govern the Palestinian territories? How do they govern given that?

5 Likes

300 Israelis dead according to NYT but number expected to rise.

1 Like

I believe their collective mindset is not, hmm, rational, and that would simply embolden Hamas and Hezbollah and Iran even more.

It’s a dickfer.