Israel/Gaza conflict

[quote=“Moon Shine”]Currently, every western civilised country in the world has suffered from muslim immigration or terrorism. The UK, Europe, USA, Australia and even China are all under attack from this savage cult. :loco:

Why are the world leaders pussy footing around this growing threat to our very existence?

This is a very serious matter and I shouldn’t be banned for expressing my opinion in the free world, although, I probably will. Good old free speech :roflmao:

Islam is not a race, it is a dangerous cult! I wouldn’t be brainwashed into hacking someone’s head off, no matter how hard a priest tried to convince me it was the will of the Pope. Raping the odd 10 year old boy is nothing to the vile hatred of Islam!

Wake up!

Ban this post if you can find a single positive news story about muslims in any western news organisation. bet you can’t. It’s all death and destruction!!!

Poison, poison, poison!!! Burn our poppy’s, flags and effigies, you’ll never win :raspberry:

Bye everybody, especially the cowardly moderators… FREE SPPEECH!!![/quote]

And I hear they also like to tear the tags off their throw pillows,absolutely disgraceful. It’s the world leaders that created this problem so go write a letter to your local representative and spare us the Islamophopia.

Then Israel isn’t a democracy. Israel’s self-identification as “Jewish state” violates its own constitution, and is demeaning to the many Muslims, Christians, Druze, and other religious groups that hold Israeli citizenship. Every society is plagued by internal contradictions, no doubt, but this one is a whopper.

How sad. Religion sucks, generally. I know it can be a source of comfort in a cruel world, but it holds down social progress and creates pointless divisions.

Only a fanatic with absolutely no experience of the world, or even of diversity within their own nation, believes that all Muslims are evil. People are people, and they’re basically the same everywhere. Unfortunately, religious orthodoxy is alive and well in the Islamic world, inhibiting social progress towards the enfranchisement and acceptance of minority religious groups, ethnic minorities, women, and gays. There isn’t a single majority Muslim nation that I would consider enlightened on a national scale, though of course there are reform movements absolutely everywhere. Their influence appears highly limited, however.

I’m not picking on Islam here. It’s easy to forget how much control the Christian church once had over Europe. Failing to honor a feast day or observe a period of fasting could get you imprisoned in a dungeon or burned alive. Outside of free societies, which enjoy constitutional separations of church and state, religious leaders wield enormous power, and societies suffer for it.

I used to think of the Israeli/Palestinian conflict as basically secular in nature, but in some respects it is a holy war. Muslim nations support the Palestinians, and Hamas is committed to Islamic orthodoxy. Israel doesn’t want to enfranchise Palestinians currently in the occupied territories, much less the millions more in exile. And this so that Israel can remain a “Jewish state”. It’s just another example of religion causing pointless and fatal divisions amongst human beings.

[quote]
set·tler noun \ˈset-lər, ˈse-təl-ər
: a person who goes to live in a new place where usually there are few or no people.[/quote]-Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Yet more proof I suppose that most westerners have a moral blind spot the size of the West Bank and Gaza into which whole cities, towns and villages and millions of inhabitants have disappeared without a trace.

Actually, I’ve passed you several times and it only appears from your narrow perspective that I’m behind. :laughing:

America need only look back into its own past to know which fork in the road to take as it once had its own Hamas problem. Fortunately it realized before it was too late that if you treat people like animals they’ll act like animals and that emancipation and a secular, one state solution were the only ways to avoid an endless downward spiral into collective depravity. That probably was less than clear in 1831 though, especially to some people. Otherwise, who knows? If American society had chosen the other fork Barack Obama might himself be digging tunnels and firing rockets at his captors today and burying his daughters because they weren’t able to move fast enough.

[quote]Nat Turner started with several trusted fellow slaves, but the insurgency ultimately numbered more than 70 enslaved and free blacks, some of whom were mounted on horseback. On August 13, 1831, an atmospheric disturbance made the Sun appear bluish-green. Turner took this as the final signal, and began the rebellion a week later on August 21. The rebels traveled from house to house, freeing slaves and killing all the white people they encountered.

Because the rebels did not want to alert anyone, they discarded their muskets and used knives, hatchets, axes, and blunt instruments instead of firearms. (The latter also would have been more difficult for them to collect.) Historian Stephen B. Oates states that Turner called on his group to “kill all the white people.” A contemporary newspaper noted, “Turner declared that ‘indiscriminate slaughter was not their intention after they attained a foothold, and was resorted to in the first instance to strike terror and alarm.’” The group spared a few homes “because Turner believed the poor white inhabitants ‘thought no better of themselves than they did of negroes.’”

The rebels spared almost no one whom they encountered. A small child who hid in a fireplace was among the few survivors. The slaves killed approximately sixty white men, women and children before Turner and his brigade of insurgents were defeated. A white militia with twice the manpower of the rebels and reinforced by three companies of artillery eventually defeated the insurrection.

The Rebecca Vaughan House is the last remaining intact building in Southampton County at which owners and their families were killed in the Nat Turner Insurrection.[/quote]

I’m not certain that is true.

Leave out the complicated background? Do you think that’s a statement that a single person in the region would or could ever say? It’s very easy for us in the comfortable west (after we’ve irradiated all the original “settlers” who were here before us by the way) to sit back and say things like, forget the past, let’s focus on the kidnapping. I’m sure that’s the furthest thing on their mind, so it’s odd that it’s at the forefront of ours.

There’s two perspectives on the “Islamic problem” if we can call it that. On the one hand, it’s only about 1/4 of the Muslim world that actually takes their religion serious enough to believe in things like Jihad, martyrdom, and Sharia law so the majority of Muslims should be exempt from these discussions. They are just normal compassionate people trying to make a better life for themselves and their loved ones. On the other hand, 1/4 of the Muslim population believes in Jihad, martyrdom, and Sharia Law :astonished: Two radically different ways of looking at the same statistic.

For me though, even as a person who does see 1/4 of the Muslim world as a threat to the rest of the world, I find it impossible to not blame Israel for the Gaza conflict. Have we all forgotten the most basic of truths? There were actually people living there before. We in the west do actually have some experience with this issue, or have we forgotten our own bloody history as well. Things don’t tend to progress peacefully when you treat the original people as intruders on your land, when you’re actually the one intruding on their land.

Do you have any statistics on Islamic fundamentalist groups pre and post invasion of the ME or how many of these groups are being financed and trained by the west and their cohorts?

I can’t even imagine what the Zionist plan is at this point? Periodic slaughters until there are no more Palestinians? Jam packed postage stamp sized Bantustans surrounded by ever expanding “settlements”. It’s hard to imagine any scenarios in which the soul of American democracy and the spirit of Judaism could survive intact.

Might it have something do do with the Likud Charter?

a. “The Jordan river will be the permanent eastern border of the State of Israel.”

b. “Jerusalem is the eternal, united capital of the State of Israel and only of Israel. The government will flatly reject Palestinian proposals to divide Jerusalem”

c. “The Government of Israel flatly rejects the establishment of a Palestinian Arab state west of the Jordan river.”

d. “The Jewish communities in Judea, Samaria and Gaza are the realization of Zionist values. Settlement of the land is a clear expression of the unassailable right of the Jewish people to the Land of Israel and constitutes an important asset in the defense of the vital interests of the State of Israel. The Likud will continue to strengthen and develop these communities and will prevent their uprooting.

I think that’s the crux of the matter and why we are seeing so many people turning against Israel over this conflict. They have simply boxed themselves into this corner where the only solution, two states, can’t happen, nor of course the slow extermination or expulsion of Palestinians. So we get to witness a slow, pointless, murderous grind toward nothing.

I don’t, but I would certainly expect fundamentalism in that part of the region is increasing. Look I’m not at all saying Hamas or the Palestinians aren’t doing their fair share of bombing, killing, and antagonizing. There’s incredible violence coming from both sides. I’m simply saying, they are the ones being forcefully removed from the land they previously occupied. Are people forgetting that the region today looks a lot different than it did in the past? Isn’t violent retaliation an expected outcome here? Defense of your own land, and advancing on someone else’s is quite a bit different.

Yeah, nothing could go wrong here :loco:

This is a crime against humanity and America’s hands are dirty for enabling it.

[quote]The blockade of Gaza

The blockade - now in place for seven years - has devastated Gaza’s economy, left most people unable to leave Gaza, restricted people from essential services such as healthcare and education, and cut Palestinians off from each other.
More than 40% of people in Gaza - nearly 50% of youth - are now unemployed and 80% of people receive international aid. Many key industries, such as the construction industry, have been decimated as essential materials are not allowed into Gaza. Exports are currently at less than 3% of their pre-blockade levels, with the transfer of agricultural produce and other goods to the West Bank and exports to Israel entirely banned.

The blockade left people reliant on tunnels from Egypt to bring in goods. The Egyptian government’s closure of these tunnels in mid-2013 has severely worsened the humanitarian situation in Gaza. Massive fuel shortages have led to daily power cuts of 12-16 hours - leaving hospitals, schools and small businesses struggling to keep going, and water and sanitation systems often failing.[/quote]- Oxfam

I’m not certain that is true.[/quote]

NY Magazine report that Israel lied about Hamas involvement in teen kidnapping seems to be falling apart

Perhaps the liberal media jumped the gun and was all too willing to disparage Israel?

Let’s just say I remain skeptical when a man under “interrogation” makes this kind of confession and it gets reported in a paper that won’t allow anti-semitic comments but will allow dozens of comments calling for the dirty pig to be tortured.

Even if true it is only part of the story as it says nothing to the charge that the Israeli government knew the boys were dead from the start but stirred up the people anyway.

[quote=“Mucha Man”]Let’s just say I remain skeptical when a man under “interrogation” makes this kind of confession and it gets reported in a paper that won’t allow anti-semitic comments but will allow dozens of comments calling for the dirty pig to be tortured.

Even if true it is only part of the story as it says nothing to the charge that the Israeli government knew the boys were dead from the start but stirred up the people anyway.[/quote]

Let’s just say that I remain skeptical about an industry that manufactures massacres such as the one that didn’t happen at Jenin.

Meanwhile…

[quote=“NDTV”]In the minutes before the ceasefire kicked in at Gaza this morning, Hamas fired a flurry of rockets towards Israel – 30 according to some counts.

Israel has argued that that these rockets are fired from civilian areas, and this is why its retaliatory strikes can result in civilian casualties.

But this morning, NDTV witnessed one such rocket silo being created under a tent right next to the hotel where our team was staying. Minutes later, we saw the rocket being fired, just before the 72-hour ceasefire came into effect….

This report is being aired on NDTV and published on ndtv.com after our team left the Gaza strip – Hamas has not taken very kindly to any reporting of its rockets being fired. But just as we reported the devastating consequences of Israel’s offensive on Gaza’s civilians, it is equally important to report on how Hamas places those very civilians at risk by firing rockets deep from the heart of civilian zones.[/quote]

I have no idea what your last context-free link is for, nor what you think about it, so expect no more comments from me.

Mucha Man, you know I have great respect for your opinions, but it’s hard for me to understand your position on this one. I have no doubt that the death of those teens stirred emotions in Israel, and no doubt that Bibi took advantage of that sentiment, but it’s not as if that was the only motivation. Hamas has been harassing Israel with rocket fire for a long time. I’ve read that Hamas fired 1000 rockets between the last war and the start of this one (I think the last one was two years ago). Despite the relatively high success of Iron Dome, there isn’t a nation in the world who should be expected to tolerate that.

Its quite obvious, and in context, too.

Here’s another for you, whether you wish to comment or not:

Maybe you remeber this attempt by the Palestinians to defame the Israelis by circulating a photo of an IDF soldier stepping on a Palestinian child?

There’s one small problem – the photo was shown to be a fake.

The uniform is not an IDF uniform, the boots are not IDF boots, and the weapon is a Russian issue AK-47 – the IDF uses American-made M-16s.

But why let facts get in the way?

Maybe you could redirect some of your skepicism? :2cents: