It's cold and it s*cks!

9 degrees outside, 18 degrees in the office…

I hate that Taiwan doesn’t manage their climate control or hot water like civilized countries, or even many underdeveloped countries. Some civilizations have been doing it for 2000 years and Taiwan can’t even manage it today.

Well, our bunker dates from the Japanese era, so blame them! Though they did have a fireplace in the hall…

Seriously, how do you survive? Do you all have a heater? Because I’m wearing three sweaters and I have my blanket on the shoulders, I’m so desperate that I’m drinking hot water but I’m still cold.

First time I’ve de-mothballed my down jacket in years (only for riding the scooter). Loving it!

At home or at work? At work it’s a lot harder because you can’t crawl into a blanket! Consider investing in a nice coat.

At home or at work? At work it’s a lot harder because you can’t crawl into a blanket! Consider investing in a nice coat.[/quote]
Down works best, but fleece is cheaper. You can pick up a thick fleece jacket at Costco for next to nothing.

Quality stuff. Merino wool underwear. Invest in a good jacket, mine is Canadian, awesome. Snow boots. Keep feet and hands warm. Yes, fingerless gloves for typing.

Hot drinks, like coffee, chocolate, tea, all the time. Warm packets -the ones you shake and last a day warm- in strategic places. Warm water bottles. One coworker has a heater at the desk, but I shuffle too many papers.

In a few words, strategize. You’ll make it.

.facebook_1417004027595 by Bolita5, on Flickr

at home it’s worse because I live at the 7th floor, just under the roof, and my room is freezing. where I can find the warm packets? I’ll drink more hot stuff and buy some new clothes too… thanks :slight_smile:

Can I ask where you’re from? I’m compiling a list. So far I have met people from Poland, Russia, Canada, and Germany who say Taiwan’s winters are far harsher than they are used to back home.

I’m from north Italy. It’s not like in Russia or Canada, but I saw minus 20 degrees too. I can stand the cold outside but not in my home!! you can’t escape it D:
I’m considering setting up a tent in the closest Mrt

What a drama! Just go to the Carrefour and get a electric heater. I have 2, one for me and one for my Gal.

Oh yeah, that’s what winter is like on a SUB-TROPIC island! Friggin’ bone chilling cold! Wear a hood, keeps you warm.

Can I ask where you’re from? I’m compiling a list. So far I have met people from Poland, Russia, Canada, and Germany who say Taiwan’s winters are far harsher than they are used to back home.[/quote]

Add Belgium …

Right, my two dogs go stand in front of it leaving me in the cold!

Well…I’ve got 76pings to heat. I hate winter with a passion. Currently, the heating regimen is as follows.

Downstairs, 25000BTU kerosene heater and 4,000watt 240V electric wall heater. It’s 24c in my living room and 7c outside.
Upstairs, the combination of rising heat has raised the ambient temp to 20 with nothing up there. Bedroom is currently warming up with 3,000watt/220v 15 rib oil heater and is 23c.

If I wasn’t paying 3times for heating what I would back home I’d almost swear I’m in a centrally heated home. I live up on a very exposed hilltop in Southern Taoyuan county and it gets COLD up here.

T-shirt and shorts…Ahhhh

[quote=“Icon”][quote=“afterspivak”]Yup. Dressing correctly is the key here. And also warming up from within, with your preferred choice of hot beverages! :slight_smile:

Guy[/quote]

Isn’t it sad, though, to dress up as an artic explorer when you are only going to work?[/quote]

Only going to work? I remember cold front days when it was 4c INSIDE my apartment in Wanli !!

I was dressed like I was in Antartica and I was in my living room. And watching tv while under covers on the sofa. After turning on the kerosene heater and three recirculationg oil heaters, the 30 ping apartment only got up to 8c !

The concrete apartments just suck away heat.

HEre in CAlif its cold out but inside its a toasty 22c.

I love it. If it was cold and dry like today all winter I’d be very happy. Key word here is “dry”

It’s not that bad. I’ll layer up when going out, but back in my apartment where I have no heater, I’ll just wear a t-shirt and shorts. All those brutal Chicago winters really prepared me from Taiwan.

YUP that is the magic word D.R.Y. And that is sadly not the case usually.

Especially I remember in Wanli where it basically rained near everyday from January 1st (and before) until mid May just about.