iTunes tips

I don’t think there is a specific thread about iTunes…

Now I have finally got an iPod, I am getting into iTunes more and more. I figure there are some good tips out there about using iTunes to get your library built up and organized.

My first question is this: What about Album artwork? In the past when I used Windows Mediaplayer to rip CDs, it would give me the Album artwork. I see there is this feature on iTunes, but I can’t seem to get it happening automatically. iTunes talks about being able to browse to the Artwork and importing it in, but that seems like a hassle to do automatically.

Any ideas?

Sorry, I can’t help you out Truant.

My question - I want to higlight multiple items in itunes. How do I do that?

I always forget.

Actually, I keep a folder on the desktop with proceedures I always forget how to do. It’s pretty handy. Getting old y’know

:blush:

L.

[quote=“Limey”]My question - I want to higlight multiple items in itunes. How do I do that?

I always forget.
[/quote]

oh that is easy. hold shift or ctrl when you click.

Shift for blocks, and ctrl for specific songs

[quote=“Truant”]I don’t think there is a specific thread about iTunes…

Now I have finally got an iPod, I am getting into iTunes more and more. I figure there are some good tips out there about using iTunes to get your library built up and organized.

My first question is this: What about Album artwork? In the past when I used Windows Mediaplayer to rip CDs, it would give me the Album artwork. I see there is this feature on iTunes, but I can’t seem to get it happening automatically. iTunes talks about being able to browse to the Artwork and importing it in, but that seems like a hassle to do automatically.

Any ideas?[/quote]
Truant, there are no features in iTunes that will get the artwork of an album for you, however you can use several scripts for it. A popular one is :
versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19933

I forgot if you are a Windows user or Mac, but here something similar for Windows:
versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/35729

You can also do this manually, if you only have a few album you need artwork for, go to amazon.com, search for your CD album, click on the image to enlarge it, then select all the songs in iTunes and drag and drop the artwork in the little corner down left of itune window.

I hope that helps.

[quote=“igorveni”]
Truant, there are no features in iTunes that will get the artwork of an album for you, however you can use several scripts for it. A popular one is :
versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19933

I forgot if you are a Windows user or Mac, but here something similar for Windows:
versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/35729[/quote]

What a classic post in the comments:

[quote=“some happy camper”]I have 252 albums (99artists) in my iTunes right now.
Itunes locator cannot recognize 70 covers. That’s about 1/3rd.
Even when I found the album cover, the locator wouldn’t copy the artwork to itunes, which is quite frustrating.

Sometimes, the locator dosen;t see the artist name that i have in itunes. sometimes it only sees the composer not the artist and therefore can;t find the artwork.

In a few words…the locator is a piece of crap.
I want my money back…not worth paying a quarter for it.

I came to realize that windows media player was not that bad in the end.[/quote]

I think your idea about amazon isn’t too bad. Cheers. It mystifies me that iTunes is so good, but doesn’t do this. huh.

Nice, I’m still going to write it down though.

L.

Just updated the Album Artwork via Amazon. Great idea, drag and drop. Not too bad. :slight_smile:

Hope there’s some Split Endz in there matie!

Late

Last night oh woo
Late…

You’ve heard enough.

L.
:smiley:

Ha, funny you should say that. the first music I bought with my own money was a CASSETTE of Split Enz. Enz of an Era, bright green and purple.
Oddly enough, the art for that CD is not on amazon :wink:

for those that have never heard of split enz, the pic above shows Neil Finn on the left and Tim Finn in the middle. (Crowded House) Born in Te Awamutu, New Zealand…although Australians tend to forget that. :sunglasses:

I knew it looked funny when I typed it. Enz Enz Enz.

Heard any of Neil’s solo stuff? Pretty good. I’ve been waiting for his latest solo effort for a while. The last Finn Bros. release was a little disappointing.

Oh, topic…

Mmmm, did you know you couldn’t auto upload the album art in itunes? :noway:

Here’s another tip I discovered tonight.

Some songs you may have acquired over the years may be limited in what iTunes can edit (i.e. album name, genre etc) while others seem to be really flexible.

Right click the song > choose ‘show song file’

This opens the folder window where the file is located. Right click the file>choose properties.

DEselect ‘read only’

now try it. :wink:

My single most important iTunes tip: use the shopping cart when purchasing music!

Step 1: iTunes store can only be accessed from computers in the following countries. Please select the country you are in:

[quote=“Truant”]
Step 1: iTunes store can only be accessed by accounts in the following countries. Please select the country you are from…[/quote]

• fixed

[quote=“naijeru”][quote=“Truant”]
Step 1: iTunes store can only be accessed by accounts in the following countries. Please select the country you are from…[/quote]

• fixed[/quote]
    OK. New Zealand.

[quote=“Truant”][quote=“naijeru”][quote=“Truant”]

• fixed[/quote]
    OK. New Zealand.[/quote]

Fixed.

Seriously Truant. You need to stop moaning. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“irishstu”][quote=“Truant”][quote=“naijeru”][quote=“Truant”]

• fixed[/quote]
    OK. New Zealand.[/quote]

Fixed.

Seriously Truant. You need to stop moaning. :p[/quote]
Thanks Stu. What a relief. After all, it is soooo complex to purchase stuff over the internet from where ever using a credit card these days :loco:
Looking at that list there aint a heck of a lot of Asian countries listed.

Yeah, I know. It does suck big time. I’ve tried the old UK address using a UK bank VISA card (registered at that same address, which is my parents’ address, btw), but to no avail.

Has anyone ever managed to get something like that working? (I realise you’re screwed EITHER way, Truant.)

I just can’t understand why they are so selective as to who can download music legally.

It’s cos they have different pricing structures for different countries. They don’t want people buying stuff from another country just cos it’s cheaper. For that reason, if they haven’t set up a price structure in a particular country, it’s tough luck, basically.

No so long ago, they got sued, cos they had different prices in the UK from other parts of Eurpoe, which is illegal (common European market).

Completely unfair, btw, and smells FAR TOO MUCH of Sony’s region settings on DVDs, etc.