iTunes tips

Okay itunes bods - help me with this. I ripped an old CD (no copy protection as far a the label states) to itunes the otherday, it will not go onto my (aged) MP3 player. I have had no problem with copying stuff before, and can still copy other CDs. Whats up?

I lent the CDs to someone recently. Do you thin it is because they copied them, or have I inadverently changed settings somewhere?

Thanks,

L.

Sure it’s ripped in mp3 format? I’m assuming your old mp3 player isn’t an iPod, btw.

Ahhhh…let me see

Jesus, you’d think a sound engineer with ten years experience could have worked that one out, wouldn’t ya?

T-w-a-t.

Sorted, thanks Stupot

[quote=“Limey”]Jesus, you’d think a sound engineer with ten years experience could have worked that one out, wouldn’t ya?

T-w-a-t.

Sorted, thanks Stupot[/quote]

Hehehe. bows

Ok, did everyone else know that you can use iTunes to organize text files? I just stumbled across that one. I’ve got most of the Project Gutenburg ebooks, I don’t know how many hundreds of academic papers, plus magazine newspaper articles galore, and keeping track of it all ain’t exactly my strong suit. Turns out they can be stored and accessed in iTunes. And with Libra the text files can sit in an entirely separate library.

Oh yeah, and this applescript makes those wickedly long audiobook files bookmarkable.

Throw me a bone… what else am I missing out on?

Hi Jaboney,

Please redo the link for Libra - it’s stuffed.

Cheers. L.

Done, sir.

sank you very muchie!

Come on, man, use the correct Pinyin…it’s “Sank you beddy muchie”…

Sheesh…

:stuck_out_tongue:

I am beddy solly

Now, back to the matter in hand…

Okay, I started taking my first baby steps in the world of emusic (hey, did you know they stopped making 8-tracks?) and following the path of least resistance I started loading everything into itunes.

Now I’ve heard you have to use an ipod instead of cheaper generic players. Is this true?

[quote=“MikeN”]Okay, I started taking my first baby steps in the world of emusic (hey, did you know they stopped making 8-tracks?) and following the path of least resistance I started loading everything into itunes.

Now I’ve heard you have to use an ipod instead of cheaper generic players. Is this true?[/quote]

No, it’s not true. Just be sure to rip CDs as mp3 if you’re going to use anything other than an iPod (iTunes by default rips CDs as a format that only iPods (and iTunes) can play (m4a (Called AAC in iTunes))).

Setting is in Edit>Preferences>Advanced>Importing. Change “Import Using” to MP3 Encoder, and choose a bitrate (Standard is 128kbps). Now click OK.

If you have already imported a stack of songs in AAC format (actually, in this case AAC is m4a), and you can’t be bothered doing it all over again, then you can select them all in your iTunes library, right-click, and choose “Convert Selection to MP3”. You will lose some quality doing it this way, but depending on how fussy you are, you may not even notice. If you want the sound to be better, then delete the lot and re-rip all your cds (and if you want, increase that bitrate setting).

irishstu

Thanks a lot-will give it a try

Why bother using iTunes? It really seems to make a lot of simple things difficult. I have used iTunes for some time, but I can’t see why it is any better.

We can’t shop online in Taiwan for e-music at iTunes shop… So why bother? Ipods are highly overrated… and sometimes quite unreliable with quality problems, etc.

Just use a regular MP3 player, rip in a favorite program, upload easily…

Makes a lot sense too me.

Kenneth

iTunes will not have artwork search until there’s a method that’s so simple and brilliant, it amazes us. All the artwork programs out there are unreliable, take too much effort, and don’t necessary produce very high quality results. Offering art from their own store, they may do.

And then there’s the record companies. What would they say.

Who can help me with this problem. :fume: Quite an irritating on for me.

So, I burn two songs to my Itunes. Make sure that the artist, album, and genre are the same. But when I go to update my IPod it will often make lists for the artist. So, it will look like this

music>play lists>artist>Liberace>You don’t love me
>Liberace>I still live with mom

How to I get Itunes or is it my Ipod to stop making all these dups?

[quote=“Namahottie”]music>play lists>artist>Liberace>You don’t love me
>Liberace>I still live with mom[/quote]

I’m not exactly sure what the problem is, but I suspect that it has something to do with the fact that you’re listening to LIBERACE.

[quote=“Josefus”][quote=“Namahottie”]music>play lists>artist>Liberace>You don’t love me

I’m not exactly sure what the problem is, but I suspect that it has something to do with the fact that you’re listening to LIBERACE.
[/quote]

:bravo: That’s exactly what it is. :slight_smile:

The problem is that the artists are not the same. One probably has a space or other invisible character at the end. To fix it, select all the Liberace songs in iTunes, Get Info (control-I/command-I/or File | Get Info menu), and you’ll be able to edit the artist and other tag info for all the songs.

[quote=“gary”][quote=“Josefus”][quote=“Namahottie”]music>play lists>artist>Liberace>You don’t love me

[/quote]

:bravo: That’s exactly what it is. :slight_smile:

The problem is that the artists are not the same. One probably has a space or other invisible character at the end. To fix it, select all the Liberace songs in iTunes, Get Info (control-I/command-I/or File | Get Info menu), and you’ll be able to edit the artist and other tag info for all the songs.[/quote]

You got a problem listening to Liberace??!! Kids today don’t know good music when if slapped them in the head. :laughing:

Now, gary, I’ve done that before, and still occasionally find a glitch…