iTunes tips

That is the reason. If more than one Liberace shows up under artists, the artists are different, a space or something. I’d double check. Highlight 2 songs you know show up under different artists and see if the artists match. Get Info will be blank if you the artists do not match.

if you have changed them and they are correct, then iTunes hasn’t copied the changed songs to your iPod.

If all else fails, find other ways to verify what I said. You could go to Apple Discussions. They’ll say the same thing but perhaps give you more detailed instructions.

[quote=“gary”]That is the reason. If more than one Liberace shows up under artists, the artists are different, a space or something. I’d double check. Highlight 2 songs you know show up under different artists and see if the artists match. Get Info will be blank if you the artists do not match.

if you have changed them and they are correct, then iTunes hasn’t copied the changed songs to your iPod.

If all else fails, find other ways to verify what I said. You could go to Apple Discussions. They’ll say the same thing but perhaps give you more detailed instructions.[/quote]

Great thanks for your help. And all the Liberace haters out there :raspberry: :smiley:

Any tips on the best way to convert a DVD into the format required for an ipod?

Also, if I have a music DVD, can I retain the track indexing in the compressed format?

[quote=“Truant”]Any tips on the best way to convert a DVD into the format required for an ipod?

Also, if I have a music DVD, can I retain the track indexing in the compressed format?[/quote]
DVD to ipod? google search came out with:
makayama.com/dvdtoipod.html

and

howto.diveintomark.org/ipod-dvd-ripping-guide/

Good luck.

It seems I can do it going to AVI first and the to H.264 using Videora, but that takes friggen ages.

I liked the look of Cucusoft’s ipod coverter. Basically, insert DVD, click the button to convert, and drag the file over to itunes. nice. But is $29.95 USD which happens to be what Quicktime Pro is.

I think I’d rather buy QT pro if I am shelling out some cash. However, does QT pro provide the same one-step process (insert DVD & out pops the H.264)?

Just wondering if anyone else uses it.

I have a bunch of music DVDs and I reckon they would be awesome on the iPod as the screen can be turned on or off as required…

I have a bit of an iTunes problem and can’t seem to get the right answer from the help.

Maybe a year ago, I set up some playlists on my PC copy of iTunes, and when I synced my ipod next, on they went, which was great.

Fast forward a bit, and since then I have done the various iTunes/iPod updates, and more importantly, I rebuilt my PC.

So, the problem now is this: I can’t seem to get the playlists that are now on my iopd, back onto my PC, so I can’t change the content of the playlists at all.

Another thing, just lately I have added some tracks to my MP3 folder, do a sync, and expect the song to appear on my pod, but it doesn’t.

Anyone else come across these problems?

To prevent piracy, Apple made updating the iPod a one way process. You can sync from a PC to an iPod but not the reverse. There are however some hacks to let you extract files off an iPod.

If you still have all your music on your PC then you should probably wipe your iPod and start over. Connect your iPod, then in iTunes go into the iPod preferences and set it to ‘update manually’. Then when you click on your iPod it you should be able to select all (ctrl-a on PC) and then clear the tracks. Once this is done, go back and set your iPod to automatic update, select the playlists you want to sync, and then sync.

ok, I can understand that regarding the files, but I am talking about playlists only here. There is no intellectual property in playlists, I own them…but now it seems like all the effort I put into creating them will be gone.

If I wipe my ipod and start again, I lose my playlists forever and need to create new ones. Not just now, but EVERY time I reinstall an OS. What a pain in the ass.

I guess some people don’t use playlists, do don’t understand the issue, but I have several playlists with a couple of hundred different songs on each, specificially picked for genre or mood. I don’t really want to lose them, but it sounds like I have no choice.

At the moment, all I can do it charge my ipod via USB and view the contents of it in itunes, but everything is greyed out so I can’t update anything anymore. :fume: :fume:

Next time back up your iTunes data when upgrading/reinstalling the OS. On a PC you’d just need to back up “My Documents\My Music\iTunes”

Specifically you’d need the .itl and .xml files for playlists and track info (.xml only for older versions).

Set it to manual update and you will be able to update.

Thanks Jlick.

Go to ilounge.com and check out the many different 3rd party apps that allow you to transfer from an iPod to your computer. I’ve used these programs to transfer mp3s before, but I’m not sure if they can be used to transfer playlists.

Is there a button I’m missing or something that will allow me to switch from the iTunes regular window to the mini player with a single click?

Brian

Hit Ctrl-M. As far as I know there’s not a mouse click for it though.

For the mini-player, it’s under Advanced.

Yep, uou can ctrl-m or pull down the menu, but there really should be a screen button you can hit to switch to mini player. I even have a feeling there was on a previous version. Oh well.

Brian

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]Yep, uou can ctrl-m or pull down the menu, but there really should be a screen button you can hit to switch to mini player. I even have a feeling there was on a previous version. Oh well.

Brian[/quote]

On a Mac, the minimize button does it. Should be Windows too. Perhaps there’s a preference that toggles between mini player and minimize.

I like the Mini Player. On a Mac, all the controls–previous, next, pause/play, even volume–work without changing window focus. So I can click something without a need to click back to my previous program.

g

How restrictive is the US credit-card rule for signing up with iTunes? I don’t want to buy anything, just be able to get album art for what I already have. Could I borrow a friend’s US card and use it to register?

You need to have registered with a credit card with a US mailing address. You do not have to be connecting on a US IP address.

Do the registering name and credit card name have to be the same?

I think the only place they ask for a name is in the billing information, and that’s the only place I see my name when I view my account information. Why does it matter?