iTunes tips

It’s not on Amazon? That’s where I look for my album art.

The Amazon music store is for US customers only, or so it says.

Ok, I found a Yahoo! Widget that looks for album art and kinda works. Still would like an automatic search for all of the albums in my library instead of having to go through every single song.

just go to amazon and look up the album u like.
then right click the cover art -> copy picture
go to itunes, shift-select all teh titles of teh album.
rightclick -> information
on right hand side you see a small box for COVER. just paste the picture into it.
only drawback is that the amazon coverart is low rez and doesnt look so nice in full screen coverflow like the itunes originals.

but normal copy and paste works fine with the cover art pictures.

update:
for windows PC there is also a small program call itunes cover art 0.9.2 or soemthing which looks up the stuff on amazon automatically after u select the songs in itunes and start the search.

Thanks, I’ll look into it when I get home. The Yahoo! Widget I am using now has a “scan all” function, but I’m not sure what it does, exactly, so I just left it running and will see what it came up with when I get back.

A nice function for iTunes would be a way to check for duplicate songs, i.e. the same songs accidentally copied from different directories. I thought I had 7gb of music on my iRiver, but when I copied them to iTunes I found a lot of repeats, and I only have 5gb and change. Going through manually to find them is a pain, though.

View > Show Duplicate Songs

[quote=“Poagao”]Thanks, I’ll look into it when I get home. The Yahoo! Widget I am using now has a “scan all” function, but I’m not sure what it does, exactly, so I just left it running and will see what it came up with when I get back.

A nice function for iTunes would be a way to check for duplicate songs, i.e. the same songs accidentally copied from different directories. I thought I had 7gb of music on my iRiver, but when I copied them to iTunes I found a lot of repeats, and I only have 5gb and change. Going through manually to find them is a pain, though.[/quote]

Uh oh, so did you join the mindless iPod cult?

It really behooves you to organize your music in iTunes. iTunes and iPods are a lot more useable when the tags are all nice and organized (no duplicate artist or album names, favorite songs rated).

Yeah, got an iPod touch. Not too impressed with the sound quality, but it’s ok. I’m just used to dumping everything in a music folder and on the iRiver and going, so iTunes is taking some getting used to.

Does view-show duplicates highlight them somehow? Or does it just include them in the list? In mine, they’re already listed, I just need to pick through the entire list and spot them all.

It creates a playlist with all your duplicates in. You then have to go through, select the ones you want to get rid of, and hit delete.

There are third-party applications available for the Mac which will find them for you and delete them (subject to your approval). Dunno about Windows though, I’m afraid.

i got the ipod touch too. its really nice, with 32gb i would call it near perfect.
what i like is its video capability (good enough to watch missed tv shows while in taxi, or waiting), the ease of use through touch interface and teh wifi option. comes in sometimes really handy to go online to check something in the www.

Ok, been using the Widget, and most of the time it either can’t find the art or gets it wrong, and the interface with iTunes is questionable at best, as many time the correct artwork doesn’t match what shows up in iTunes coverflow. It’s terrible, but it’s the only thing to use for now without going through Gelangweilt’s suggestion for every song in my library.

I too find iTunes crap, and dearly miss Windows Media, which is a suprise. Unfortunately I have a iPod, so it demands iTunes. I do like the subscribed podcast updater thingee, mind.

Ovbverall, I have a Mac laptop and PC desktop. The MAc demands iPod be formatted to Mac and the Pc wants it in PC, so no sharing.

Is there a crack that allows you to use Winmedia, or some other such, on iPod?

HG

its a bit a pain in the ass. took me total like 4-5 hours to get my library done (i have an itunes account, but not all stuff was recognized (sometimes really weird, even if u match the exact itunes shop descriptions it wont download a cover), so i had to it manually.
itunes art importer is a great help:
yvg.com/itunesartimporter.shtml
its free and makes it really convenient: just mark down the album in itunes, click search in itunes art importer, it will take a few seconds (sometimes also a couple of minutes depending what u are looking for), then u get a choice or selection of the searchresults. just select the one which is right for you and click the write button and the proggie will automagically import the cover to your selected album.
saves you a lot of time from the manuial copy&paste.
when u right click in the search result window browser will take you to the currently selected search result on amazon.com.
inly drawback: it only searches amazon.com, (in my case soem albums couldnt be found taht were on amazon.de) but it should cover 95% of your music at least…

good luck with it

I can’t get an iTunes account, so would this work for me?

yes. the itunes art importer doesnt need an account with itunes.

Argh, the more I use iTunes the more frustrating the experience is. I download some TV shows, add the folder to the library…iTunes classifies them as “movies”. I add the “TV show” category in get more info. iTunes doesn’t add them to my iPod. I try to sync movies, and iTunes says “Are you sure? Synching movies will erase all the other data on your iPod.”

WTF? I’m at a loss for words.

I agree. I’m shocked at how bad it is. I’m new to Macs and while I like other aspects, ths is appaling. Not least of the suprises was the frequenct of rebooting the damned iPod . . it runs, dare I say it, like a PC!

HG

As I was telling Sandman the other day, Macs are great if your needs and wants are exactly what they predict. It seems like they’ve thought of everything, and with style. But if you want something else, be prepared for a world of trouble.

Like this:

Seriously, WTF? They’re all in the same directory, the same file types as stuff already on my iPod. The “movies” play in iTunes fine…but the iPod, I guess, isn’t allowed to play movies AND other things…for some reason…?

When Macs work, they are brilliant. When they fall over, they are worse than anything (5% of the time).

When I’ve got issues, I find that most of the time I can search out a good fix on the Mac support forums. Sometimes 10 min of searching saves me several hours of heartbreak.

YMMV