Jail toilets face away from Mecca

OMFG…

[quote]Facilities in a prison are being built so Muslim inmates do not have to face Mecca while sitting on the toilet.

The Home Office said two new toilet blocks are being installed as part of a refurbishment at Brixton jail in south London.

Faith leaders had told prison bosses it was unacceptable for Muslim inmates to face Mecca while using the toilet.

“The refurbishment has been carried out with due consideration for all faiths”, a Home Office spokeswoman said.

“Following consultation with faith leaders within the prison, various small adjustments were made to ensure the faith issues of all prisoners are taken into account.”

She added: “The money spent did not affect the overall cost of the refurbishment programme.” [/quote]

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/engl … 926114.stm

If you are planning to incarcerate large numbers of people of a single faith, then it’s only fair to have some consideration for their needs.

[quote=“jdsmith”]OMFG…

[quote]Facilities in a prison are being built so Muslim inmates do not have to face Mecca while sitting on the toilet.

The Home Office said two new toilet blocks are being installed as part of a refurbishment at Brixton jail in south London.

Faith leaders had told prison bosses it was unacceptable for Muslim inmates to face Mecca while using the toilet.

“The refurbishment has been carried out with due consideration for all faiths”, a Home Office spokeswoman said.

“Following consultation with faith leaders within the prison, various small adjustments were made to ensure the faith issues of all prisoners are taken into account.”

She added: “The money spent did not affect the overall cost of the refurbishment programme.” [/quote]

news.BBC.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/Engl … 926114.stm[/quote]

PC is going way to far. :fume:

If the toilet faces away from Mecca, doesn’t that mean you show your ass to Mecca every time you take a dump?

Not if done at a 90` angle, but it makes me wonder if all mudlim homes have toilets that do not face Mecca, hmm.

Is it really preferable to rear Mecca rather than face it?

Edit: Oops, already answered. Their back-mounted direction sensors must be really sensitive…

[quote=“jdsmith”]OMFG…[/quote]I somehow doubt you’d be expecting the same outcry if there was somehow some accommodation for Christianity in a similar situation.

I’m sick to fucking death of the OMFG MUSLIMS SHOULDN’T GET RESPECT shit that seems to predominate so much of modern Coalition of the Willing thinking.

So basically my response is:

Big. Fucking. Deal.

Respect is something one earns. The article refers to people who have been incarcerated, how much should they expect?

I would hardly say the handful of responses on this thread constitute an outcry, not in number nor content.

Good…they can wipe their ass pointing towards the big moon stone in Mecca.

[quote=“Dr_Zoidberg”]Respect is something one earns. The article refers to people who have been incarcerated, how much should they expect?[/quote]I agree. But there’s a difference between saying respect should be earned and demanding it not be given.

[quote]I would hardly say the handful of responses on this thread constitute an outcry, not in number nor content.[/quote]I agree again. And thankfully so. But that was undoubtedly the intent of posting the story originally.

I think that they ought to paint the inside of the toilet bowls in the likeness of…

…nevermind.

[quote=“Tetsuo”][quote=“jdsmith”]OMFG…[/quote]I somehow doubt you’d be expecting the same outcry if there was somehow some accommodation for Christianity in a similar situation.

I’m sick to fucking death of the OMFG MUSLIMS SHOULDN’T GET RESPECT shit that seems to predominate so much of modern Coalition of the Willing thinking.

So basically my response is:

Big. Fucking. Deal.[/quote]

Yes, really it’s much better when we say, “Jail? Don’t worry, we’ll take care of all your needs, medical, education and spiritual after you commit your crimes.”

God forbid jail time be uncomfortable. Or are you thinking, haven’t they been punished enough?

And FYI, I had the same outrage at other relgious nonsense in the 1980s when “Satanists” wanted dove’s blood to perform their rituals. The fact that this bozo idea is aimed at placating future Muslim convicts means little. It’s stupid all around.

It’s a jail, not a hotel. Go build a road.

BFD? I agree.

It must be difficult to go to the bathroom if you allready live in Mecca. And also, if you face away from it when you’re sitting on the throne, you must be facing it when you are taking a leak. Unless your toilet is at a right angle or something. Maybe the incarcerated prisoners should be asked to sit on the toilet sideways.

Problem solved.

oi ganesh!, I’m smrt today. S-M-R-T smrt!

I read somewhere that people in Mecca must immediately re-eat whatever comes out. There are large numbers of Japanese men who convert to Islam specifically to fulfill this need for no pay whatsoever.

If the toilets are facing away from Mecca, however, wouldn’t it also lead to the problem that when you’re praying, you’re aiming your prayers at the toilet?

[quote=“Dr_Zoidberg”]Respect is something one earns.
[/quote]

This has been said so much here. This is such a fawkin joke. Respect isn’t something you earn, because hell a lot of you here would be in the red. Pure simple mindness would lead someone to believe and actually practice that you would need to ‘earn’ this.

If we didn’t have some resemblance of giving respect, as oppose to earningit, on this planet it would in a hell of lot more chaos than it is now.

Where in the Koran does it say that you have to take a shit facing way from Mecca? I’m serious. I have a hard time believing that it’s something that’s actually in the Koran. It’s most likely something some half-literate mullah made up or vulgarly misinterpreted.

On edit: Before anyone beats me to the punch, gotta say it -

“I fart in your general direction!”

I’ve never read the Koran, but I bet it doesn’t say you get seventy virgin brides for blowing yourself up, either. Does the Koran have anything to do with that type of Islam?

Rather than posing hypotheticals…perhaps someone can post an accurate answer to these queries.

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“Dr_Zoidberg”]Respect is something one earns.
[/quote]

This has been said so much here. This is such a fawkin joke. Respect isn’t something you earn, because hell a lot of you here would be in the red. Pure simple mindness would lead someone to believe and actually practice that you would need to ‘earn’ this.

If we didn’t have some resemblance of giving respect, as oppose to earningit, on this planet it would in a hell of lot more chaos than it is now.[/quote]

If respect isn’t earned, but something automatically bestowed upon us, then a total stranger should be able to walk up to you, grab your tits, or your ass, and you would still have respect for him.

Aye. But I reckon this probably covers a wide range of religious beliefs.

Reminds me of one of the pieces I like from The Onion:

[quote]"
L
[size=100]ook, I don’t know, maybe I haven’t made myself completely clear, so for the record, here it is again," said the Lord…

Somehow, people keep coming up with the idea that I want them to kill their neighbor. Well, I don’t. And to be honest, I’m really getting sick and tired of it. Get it straight. Not only do I not want anybody to kill anyone, but I specifically commanded you not to, in really simple terms that anybody ought to be able to understand…

Worse yet, many of the worst violators claim that their actions are justified by passages in the Bible, Torah, and Qur’an.

“To be honest, there’s some contradictory stuff in there, okay?” God said. "So I can see how it could be pretty misleading. I admit it