🇯🇵 Japan | Temple in Nara (JP) Defaced by Canadian Teen

So should the teen face major charges you think, or just expelled? Should places in Japan better inform people of the rules since from the story he did not know it wrong to deface the temple?

story:

In Singapore he would have earned himself a few strokes of the cane as one from the USA did some years ago.

7 Likes

The parents were reportedly there at the time.

What the hell!

Guy

2 Likes

A monk at the temple told The Mainichi that “even though it may have been done without malice, it is still regrettable and sad”.

I’m confused. How does one intentionally damage property “without malice”?

“Oh sorry I just thought it would look prettier with my name on it”?

2 Likes

Their mistake was letting people from a culture where streets shoes are worn indoors roam freely without supervision.

3 Likes

Huh? Do they do that in Canada? The few times I’ve been there, people always took off their shoes when they entered a home.

Can any Canadians here chime in? @TT

1 Like

Logan Paul did something similar and that bastard put it up on YouTube.

He used his fingernails? Cannot have been that deep or large then, right?

Unless…

Glad it was not another Chinese tourist, shows that humans are all the same, capable of the good and bad.

2 Likes

You might have been thrown off by the “English” name and the Canadian passport.

1 Like

Are you suggesting that the teen is a Chinese with an English name and a Canadian passport?

Haven’t seen any photos or names, so…?

1 Like

Money is tight in Canada lately. I can’t imagine too many people picking Japan as a summer vacation destination. It is a great place to meet up with family close to the homeland without having to step foot in the homeland

When I was there in Japan in June, I could not believe the number of visitors from North America. I could not remember seeing anything like it.

Guy

1 Like

There are no affluent families with spoilt brats in Canada these days? :thinking: :grin:

3 Likes

Japan is overrun with tourists currently.

1 Like

School aged kids in this mix? Funny, I would have thought summer holidays start at the end of June.

I love the smell of dumb Canuck in the morning.

2 Likes

Shoes on indoors is a US thing AFAIK

2 Likes

I could do without it, frankly.

Guy

Why would you make this assumption? It’s not only statistically fucking stupid, it’s just playing up race bias for literally no reason. As far as we know he’s another typical white kid who is either dumb or callous, possibly with parents either too distracted or distant to notice.

To illustrate:
Canadian tourist, statistically white, does something bad abroad: Must be a Chinaman in disguise!
Chinese tourist does something bad abroad: Well, that’s just how they are.

Even if he wasn’t white (whatever that means anyway), it wouldn’t make a difference at all to me because it’s ultimately a ridiculous assumption predicated upon some rather unsavory thought processes.

To be fair, @flatlandr didn’t bring up the Chinese angle, but did say “might”…

Your ungenerous assumptions about a fellow Forumosan stand on shaky ground.