Joe Biden: U.S. President

You make it sound so terrible.

Speaking of family shaming, in other news:

“If being the daughter of a polarizing mayor who became the president’s personal bulldog has taught me anything, it is that corruption starts with ‘yes-men’ and women, the cronies who create an echo chamber of lies and subservience to maintain their proximity to power,” his daughter writes

1 Like

the only self reflection that’s going to be happen is in the GOP.
they’re going to start distancing themselves from trump. they need to take a long hard look at how Trump was able to rise to power in their group

The younger Giuliani, a director, actor and writer who lives in Los Angeles, endorsed Hillary Clinton in 2016 and voted for Barack Obama in 2012.

I respect and value the fact that Americans have the right to voice their political views, but the importance that some people place on expressing their political views so publicly often puzzles me. Why the hell should I care what Caroline Rose Giuliani thinks?

Did anyone read her Vanity Fair piece?

Around the age of 12, I would occasionally get into debates with my father, probably before I was emotionally equipped to handle such carnage. It was disheartening to feel how little power I had to change his mind, no matter how logical and above-my-pay-grade my arguments were.

Her debates with her father were “emotional carnage”? Dramatic much?

From what I can tell, she and her father disagree on politics and she has some hangups about the fact that her wise but oh-so-vulnerable 12 year-old self couldn’t get her father to agree with her despite her “logical and above-my-pay-grade” arguments. :roll_eyes:

It’s not like she’s revealing material information about him or his relationship to Trump that is pertinent to Americans. She’s just using the last name that she has supposedly tried to distance herself from to promote her political views.

And I say all this as someone who really dislikes Rudy Giuliani.

2 Likes

Because she believes Trump represents an existential threat like so many others. Just more fuel to the fire.

Wouldn’t you?

1 Like

And how are her beliefs any more pertinent to me than those of a random person on the street? She didn’t reveal any material information. She basically ranted about her 12 year-old self not being able to convince her dad to change his beliefs and repeated standard Democrat election year arguments.

Rudy is a conservative. Caroline is a progressive. She wasn’t able to convert him. End of story. If she has any personal hang-ups over this, a therapist would probably help her a lot more than a Vanity Fair piece.

No. Why would I?

What is it with Republican leaders and their public confrontations with their own families? See Conways or Mary Trump for reference. Its not like every interview of every publication has to serve some public good. It’s Vanity Fair ffs.

And you’re missing the point. It’s not about her. It’s about him. I couldn’t imagine my daughter shaming me in public. What level of douchery do you have to be to have your own daughter do an interview to shame you?

Democrats have elevated the demonization of Republicans to such an extent they expect those in their bubble to disavow foamily members, the young are particularly susceptible to this kind of messaging,

4 Likes

George and Mary are not young.

I don’t think the motivations are about demonizing Republicans. It’s about demonizing Trump. Have Republicans tied their identity up so much with Trump that any criticism is a reflection on them?

Kinda like how Obama’s own brother is firmly aboard the Trump Train.

Choo! Choo!

Of course, that means he ain’t black according to Biden.

1 Like

Thanks for not answering the question: how are Caroline Rose Giuliani’s beliefs any more pertinent to me than those of a random person on the street? Again, she didn’t reveal anything other than the fact that she has very different political beliefs than her dad.

And to your point about public shaming: it takes 2 to tango. When a person feels the need to air family dirt in public, it says something about everyone involved.

Like I said, I dislike Rudy, but it seems like he’s a little more tolerant of his daughter’s opinions than she is of his. Per her own previous comments:

My dad knows. I was for Barack in 2012. He knows and is fully comfortable with it and thinks I have a right to my opinion.

Such emotional carnage!

The fact that she is related to him and motivated enough to public shame him is enough for readers to care. And carries more weight than a rando on the street. She didn’t reveal anything more for you? Ok. Don’t read it. For some she did by hating her own father. Not every article needs to serve a public good. I answered your question. You just didn’t like it.

Or are you saying that I shouldn’t post it here because it didn’t reveal anything to you? Its part of a trend of Republicans being shamed by their own families helping Trump. It is relevant enough in that regard.

I don’t really care to compare their grievances and who’s more tolerant. The drama is entertaining though.

Why doesn’t this happen to democratic leaders? Or maybe it does and I’m not noticing it.

Oh ok…is this the one in Kenya that he didn’t actually grow up with or really know at all? Didn’t even meet until he was 25? That brother?

Doesn’t seem comparable.

1 Like

Still his brother. All aboard the Trump Train.

Choo choo!

2 Likes

If you’re a partisan, anything that reinforces your existing beliefs will be seen as carrying weight.

As a person who thinks both Trump and Biden are deeply flawed candidates, and that Republicans and Democrats alike have been failing the American people for years, I could care less about family members with opposing political views throwing shit at each other in public. And it’s shameful that this is what American political discourse has devolved to.

All I see here is Rudy’s daughter using her last name (yes, the very one she claims to have tried so hard to distance herself from) to promote her personal political views, which happen to closely mirror those of the party she supports. If she had brought to light material information about her father’s relationship with Trump, that would be a different story. But she didn’t.

What this does reinforce to me is that the political class, including their children of privilege, are totally disconnected from the reality that faces average Americans. I mean, I’m sorry that Caroline Rose was traumatized by not being able to change her dad’s beliefs at the age of 12, but her public family mud-slinging does nothing for Americans worried about the US economy and decline of the middle class, the rise of an increasingly combative China, and other such issues.

2 Likes

Public denunciation of family members for political crimes is one of the hallmarks of cultural revolutions, along with public erasure for wrongthink, Green Leaps Forward, Red Guard youths rioting unchecked against capitalism in the streets and 9-member chambers of unelected government officials issuing supreme diktats to the nation.

They beat her, bound her and led her from home. She knelt before the crowds as they denounced her. Then they loaded her on to a truck, drove her to the outskirts of town and shot her.

Fang Zhongmou’s execution for political crimes during the Cultural Revolution was commonplace in its brutality but more shocking to outsiders in one regard: her accusers were her husband and their 16-year-old child.

2 Likes

If only we could all be so enlightened. Part of a larger trend which you are dismissing. That is what holds it’s journalistic value. There’s free press. Anyone can do an interview. What motivates people to go so far as to denounce their own family? Why haven’t you seen anyone do this to Biden or Obama before him? Because character matters. That’s why.

I don’t discount people’s motivation because of what she said when she was 12. She’s 31 by the way.

Yes perhaps she is a secret member of Antifa and is here to force all americans to accept cancel culture and transgender bathrooms.

Brainwashing, or deep emotional issues…or both.

3 Likes

Then why do Republican leaders have so many family members with deep emotional issues? Is it a symptom of catching covid? :wink: