Joe Biden: U.S. President

Only if you’re a U.S. company.

Business groups object to the changes, contending that they would hurt investment and U.S. companies’ ability to compete for global business.

Yeah, not a lot of people in the middle will go for the “If you aren’t with us yer a racist” thing when they get back in the booth.

1 Like

True if you’re a company that doesn’t do business with any international banks or companies. If you’re a company doing a barter transaction between Iran and China that doesn’t involve any outside banks or companies that do business elsewhere, you’re set.
If you are a Taiwanes company say, selling computer chips to the EU, and also doing any business with the US., related or not, you will have to pay a minimum tax in Taiwan or the US will be able to seize any assets you have in the US, or take action against you in any country in the world, under pain of that country facing American sanctions. Ask Iran if that hurts.

So, Joe is going after his own long outdated policies. gotcha.

Yep. Biden supported more and stricter policing in the Clinton years, as did most people, including black politicians and black people in general at the time, because crime was bad and the trend in, especially, violent street crime, was way up. Ironically, it was just when crime had peaked and started its decline (we’re still not sure why- I’m inclined towards the lead (as in metal) theory, but also give some weight to the spread of video games).
Also, he should have foreseen that police departments would use this as an excuse to crack down on blacks and minorities, through theories such as ‘Broken Windows’, recently abandoned in New York.

I believe is it clear from his Congressional testimonies that he did know exactly who the laws would primarily affect. It’s pretty cherry picking critical theorists that they can go back in time and judge Washington and Jefferson as being racist, but Biden? Nah…he good.

“Let me tell you what is in the bill, and I’ll let you all decide whether or not this is weak,” he said. “Let me get down here a compendium of the things that are in the bill. One, the death penalty. It provides 53 death-penalty offenses. Weak as can be, you know?”

“We do everything but hang people for jaywalking in this bill,” Biden added. “That’s weak stuff,” he said.

A Biden fuck-up.

Really. It’s disgusting how Big Pharma is putting a full-on press to keep vaccines proprietary, and the American government under both Trump and Biden, and other developed countries, are aiding the effort. I remember a short while ago the NYT had a story on how North Korea was stealing vaccine secrets and was going to make copies of it- not only would they prevent deaths in North Korea but they would make and distribute the vaccine to poor countries- the horror.
Information should have been made publicly available from the first, and the pharmaceutical companies just paid for their work.

But getting to the issue of fairness, one of the main points we made in the piece is that Moderna and Pfizer have already been paid for their work on the vaccines. In the case of Moderna, the U.S. government paid the full cost of the research and clinical trials for the economy. If the vaccine turned out to be ineffective, the U.S. taxpayer would have been out the money, Moderna had been paid for its work.

In the case of Pfizer, the company has large advance purchase agreements with the U.S. and many other countries, which far more than cover its plausible research costs and allow for a generous profit. The German government also contributed several hundred million dollars to manufacturing facilities.
https://cepr.net/big-pharma-strikes-back/

As always, socialize the costs, privatize the profits.

2 Likes

https://www.rawstory.com/big-pharma/

In a story published Friday, journalist Lee Fang cites “newly filed disclosure forms from the first quarter of 2021” to reveal that “over 100 lobbyists have been mobilized to contact lawmakers and members of the Biden administration, urging them to oppose a proposed temporary waiver” of patent protections at the WTO—a push led by India and South Africa and backed by the World Health Organization, over a hundred nations, and public health experts and justice advocates worldwide.
Pharmaceutical lobbyists working against the proposal include Mike McKay, a key fundraiser for House Democrats, now working on retainer for Pfizer, as well as several former staff members to the U.S. Office of Trade Representative, which oversees negotiations with the WTO.
Several trade groups funded by pharmaceutical firms have also focused closely on defeating the generic proposal, new disclosures show. The U.S. Chamber of Commerce, the Business Roundtable, and the International Intellectual Property Alliance, which all receive drug company money, have dispatched dozens of lobbyists to oppose the initiative.

3 Likes

Good- it’s about time. Now about those patents…

2 Likes

Ofcourse they do. All this talk by the west about human rights, right to life, charity etc. has always been bullshit. They only fund when they see it necessary to their national interest.

As opposed to what? Have there been many examples of countries that hold the values and health of other countries higher than their own and not trying to promote their particular way of life? :idunno:

It’s as though you’re saying countires be mean. welp :runaway:

Any translation services for this?

He’s not gettin’ any intercourse?

TMI, Joe.

1 Like

Remember China said they would share the vaccine?

Uhm, they did.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-04-27/china-vows-to-step-in-as-india-curbs-vaccine-supply-to-neighbors

I didn’t see India, but I don’t think any got to Africa as they promised.

Yes, it did (the fact that the Chinese vaccine- along with its Russian counterpart- turned out to be pretty crappy is, um, irrelevant?)

Joe wants to have intercourse with the world?