Joe Biden: U.S. President

Yes it does! That’s exactly what it is. (Corporations are people, remember? Citizens United). If corporations don’t pay their fair share of taxes, they are avoiding their responsibilities.

If wealthy people don’t pay their fair share of the tax burden, then who pays it? It either goes on the credit card, or programs have to get cut. (RWs know this, and their goal is cutting programs, so they run up these debts intentionally in office).

God forbid a government program get cut!

1 Like

A lot of necessary ones get cut. I think we can discuss this without trafficking in absolutes, and that shouldn’t have to be spelled out.

Go on…

1 Like

Democrats think funny. “tax responsibility” = tax a person is legally required to pay

What person in his or her right mind pays more taxes than they’re legally required to?

It really isn’t.

1 Like

How about going after all those shell companies the super rich use to hide their money and investments then? You OK with that?

I’d like to see a comprehensive examination of who in Wyoming and Delaware are opening such accounts and whether or not they are even paying taxes on them.

https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/fandd/2019/09/tackling-global-tax-havens-shaxon.htm

Corporations aren’t the only beneficiaries. Individuals have stashed $8.7 trillion in tax havens, estimates Gabriel Zucman (2017), an economist at the University of California at Berkeley. Economist and lawyer James S. Henry’s (2016) more comprehensive estimates yield an astonishing total of up to $36 trillion. Both, assuming very different rates of return, put global individual income tax losses at around $200 billion a year, which must be added to the corporate total.

1 Like

Absolutely.

Glad to see you supporting Biden after the sleaze and laxity of the Trump years.

1 Like

High US corporate taxes are fine with me. Just more business for Taiwan.

1 Like

And schools, and repaired infrastructure, and a high speed rail, and better funded first responders…more money for cops as well…

Yeah, I’m not really talking about cooperate taxes.

I’d support Biden if he actually DOES something about individuals, foreign and domestic, and foreign nations hiding money in the US. He’s from Delaware though. Been political there for 50 years. It won’t happen. But, it won’t ever happen, not just because he’s too weak to pull it off. YOu can release the Panama Papers and little will happen.

2 Likes

Not if the Republicans in the Senate can help it.

1 Like

Dry your eyes now. It’ll never happen.

1 Like

I’ll believe it when I see those stimulus checks in the mail, another promise from Biden that Republicans stood foursquare against and that Democrats failed to deliver on:

The IRS has already sent out more than 156 million third stimulus checks, worth approximately $372 billion. President Joe Biden’s American Rescue Plan pays individual taxpayers earning less than $80,000 a maximum of $1,400 and couples making under $160,000 up to $2,800.

Ooops.

1 Like

Unfortunately now that the election is over we’ll have to wait until the mid-term elections two years from now before politicians start promising us free money again.

I don’t follow you here. Stimmies are acknowledgement of going after tax haven abuses? :idunno:

1- Biden announces intent to do something (here, stimulus).
2- Scoffers say it will never happen.
3- Republicans announce united opposition,
4- Democrats pass it with 0 Republican votes.
5- WH begins to take action (in this case, distribute checks).

With the tax haven thing, we’re past stage 3, moving to stage 4. Sometimes the process fails, as for the minimum wage bill, because of Democratic opposition i.e. Manchin and Sinema. On this issue, Manchin seems in favor and Sinema apparently doesn’t care.
I’m surprised as anyone that Biden is taking action- I always used to refer to him as “the Senator from Mastercard”, but he looks like he’s getting pushed on this.

Not if the bill contains provisions to prevent that.

The plan would eliminate biases in current tax law that favor offshoring economic activity and would largely put an end to corporate profit shifting with a country-by-country minimum tax.

Sorry- the dream of doing business in America or elsewhere while setting up your HQ as a PO Box in a tax haven is specifically dealt with in the proposed legislation.

Among other things, like college debt forgiveness. We’ll see.

1 Like