John Cleese in Taiwan

Saw on facebook, for those that are interested.

9 Likes

Fans of Fawlty Towers already know

3 Likes

Saw this a couple days ago and though “Oh, good!” When I found the ticket site I was pleased to see the range was only NT$2 - 2.3K.

I noticed this:

“The show will be in English, and will not be providing services such as instant translation or subtitles”

Later I started thinking about how well this might go in Taipei considering the language difference, how humor doesn’t always translate well and that Cleese is not exactly a hot commodity to people even middle aged or under. Good luck to him though. Still thinking about catching it if tickets hold out.

2 Likes

It’s on my birthday. How about Forumosa bands together and buys me a ticket?

1 Like

He hasn’t been funny for a few decades now. Or at least that’s my impression from the bits I see online.

I know him from A Fish Called Wanda.

This one just popped up randomly on YouTube and I had to play it twice it was so funny. It says 6 years ago. I’m not a rabid fan but I haven’t come across anything unfunny by him. To each their own.

John Cleese - Church of JC Capitalist

2 Likes

I am considering going.
I like John Cleese and his movies, but have never enjoyed what little I have seen of ANY standup comedy.

I’m a superfan, though I wasn’t that impressed by some of his recent work. I saw his alimony payoff tour on video a few years ago and some other performance. It was a nice but quiet walk down memory lane with some derivative Trump jokes. The Monty Python goodbye show at the O2 was awesome, but that had the 3 remaining cast members. I don’t think I’m going to pay for this, though.
It’s only a 715 seat room. I doubt he pulls 1 mil NT for this even if it’s a sell-out. Hardly seems worth it. I wonder if he’s in debt again.

Might go just to see what he says about half the crowd sitting there with masks on

2 Likes

It’s going to be full of waiguoren. Taiwanese don’t know who the fuck John Cleese is.

4 Likes

That is why I only said half and not 90 percent.

3 Likes

That’s good. Maybe he’s still got it.

People under the age of 40 don’t know who the fuck John Cleese is, wherever they are from.

1 Like

I’m under 40 and I know. Don’t think he is funny though.

2 Likes

Dave Chapelle? George Carlin?

1 Like

Nah I’m 34, I watched the monthly phyton and monthly python movies when i was in high school.

Why 40? If you’re going to choose a cut-off age it should be around 60.

1 Like

If the cheapest seats start at NT$2, I’ll contribute to buying one of the cheapest seats for jimi.

2 Likes

I’ll chip in, but it sounds like an act of cruelty making the man sit down for so long.

1 Like