Join the Forumosa Cancerbusters!

As the runt of this litter, I’m wondering if my less than stellar results are because my computer is older and slower than the rest of yours.

Any suggestions on speeding things up?

Just leave your PC running ALL the time (inc weekends). Looking at the latest stats it seems that the others must.

BFM 3,224
Connel 2,291
hypermegaglobal 2,334
miltownkid 1,472
RoachTPE 1,926
rooftop 513
SDTetsuo 1,361
smithsgj 2,351
torza74 1,692

Its still a small team! Why aren’t others joining???

[quote=“Roach”]Just leave your PC running ALL the time (inc weekends). Looking at the latest stats it seems that the others must.

BFM 3,224
Connel 2,291
hypermegaglobal 2,334
miltownkid 1,472
RoachTPE 1,926
rooftop 513
SDTetsuo 1,361
smithsgj 2,351
torza74 1,692

Its still a small team! Why aren’t others joining???[/quote]
Not allowed. The Sys admin about had a cow. :s

I’ve always left my computer on all the time, just rebooting for installs and stuff. But since starting this cancer thing, I’ve noticed that the fan has really been clonking it, presumably cos the machine’s working at max all the time.

can that be right, or is it my imagination?

also, is there any point shutting a PC down overnight, or when you’re not using it? I thought powering it up used more than the negligible amount of electricity used in keeping it running, but I really have no idea.

I’m sure there’s a website where they answer that kind of question. Another one that interests me is this: Why can you get a hot plastic bottle of baby formula cool quicker by running it under a cold tap (the water has to be >0 degrees for it to run) than by putting it in the freezer for the same amount of time?

[quote=“rooftop”]As the runt of this litter, I’m wondering if my less than stellar results are because my computer is older and slower than the rest of yours.[/quote]Possibly, the points are calculated from the time spent multiplied by the power of your computer. But every bit helps.

[quote=“smithsgj”]I’ve always left my computer on all the time, just rebooting for installs and stuff. But since starting this cancer thing, I’ve noticed that the fan has really been clonking it, presumably cos the machine’s working at max all the time.

can that be right, or is it my imagination? [/quote]That makes sense.

[quote]I’m sure there’s a website where they answer that kind of question. Another one that interests me is this: Why can you get a hot plastic bottle of baby formula cool quicker by running it under a cold tap (the water has to be >0 degrees for it to run) than by putting it in the freezer for the same amount of time?[/quote]For the same reason a fan cools you down even though the air is not any colder, because it’s moving and takes the heat away faster. Still air (like in a freezer) is a good insulator.

Not I. I left it on for two days 'cause I was downloading a couple of big files, but other than that it’s just after work mostly.

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”][quote=“smithsgj”]I’ve always left my computer on all the time, just rebooting for installs and stuff. But since starting this cancer thing, I’ve noticed that the fan has really been clonking it, presumably cos the machine’s working at max all the time.

can that be right, or is it my imagination? [/quote]That makes sense.[/quote]
Most definetly, my lappie seems to be running red hot… the fan is chucking out lots of hot warm air… actually its quite useful this time of year as I can use the constant stream of air to keep my hands toasty warm :sunglasses:

Of course on the flipside I am wondering if the thing may crap out… :fume:

Wow, Roach is catching up fast and will have more points than me soon… :notworthy: What kind of crazy machines are you using? I had to install the software on a small army of mediocre office computers to pass you in the first place (unfortunately, some users deleted the program again because the temperature-controlled fans were making too much noise).

hypermegaglobal 39,842 RoachTPE 35,767 Kaejan and Philjan 22,361 Quirk100 19,040 BFM 16,815 smithsgj 13,675 SDTetsuo 9,937 lupillus 7,442 Connel 5,399 miltownkid 2,967 rooftop 2,845 butcher boy 2,255 torza74 1,884

My headstart was soon completely wiped out.
We have now done 1 year and 18 days of processing :notworthy:

Hey hypermegaglobal, I wondered when you would notice. I spotted you had 5 machines on the go and had to watch as you flew past me. How many machines are you down to now?

I’ve been running on a 2.6G P4 in my office and I’ve only just got a shiny new 3.2G P4 at home. I had sworn never to have a PC at home but now I’ve got one I’m kinda enjoying it…

If I had more clout in my office, I would install the software on more machines, but my Taiwanese colleagues are a little reluctant to install something they don’t understand…

What I want to know is why aren’t there more Forumosans on our team? Come on people, its not a malicious piece of software - it just sits in the background doin’ its thang. Its easy to install and get linked up with Grid.org, so why not. At least give it a try…

I’m left with a 2.53 GHz P4, a (very slow) 1.3 GHz P4 and my 1.7 GHz mobile P4 (about as fast as the 2.53 GHz P4), but only the first PC is running all the time.

You win! :laughing:

I’ve just been browsing the stats page and found that NCTU Taiwan are in the top 50 (#43) with 1058 members and 57,957,041 points.
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

See here grid.org/stats/teams/points.htm

What really got me was the top ranked team, Team 2ch, with 51,300 members and a whopping 3,757,427,425 points!
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

[quote=“Total Stats for the Entire Project”]Members 1,249,046
Devices 3,070,122
Total CPU Time (y:d:h:m) 403,378:248:11:07
Points Generated 54,023,214,196
Results Returned 327,703,225 [/quote]

Check out the CPU time! :astonished:

We are currently have 13 members, ranked #12,164 (out of 41,750 teams) with 180,229 points, so we are doing very well but it still looks like we have a bit of catching up to do . :slight_smile:

Apparently they think Mac OS machines aren’t worth writing a download for.

I got a 1.8GHz PowerPC G5 that I’d be glad to lend to the (very worthy) effort, too. :frowning:

Same with Linux and I’ve gotta sweet linux box that’s wasting CPU cycles doing sod all…

I just can’t catch up :stuck_out_tongue: You’re still up there :bravo: but only just :slight_smile:

I just can’t catch up :stuck_out_tongue: You’re still up there :bravo: but only just :slight_smile:[/quote]

Come on, Roach, just a few points to go! :slight_smile:

hypermegaglobal 69,876 RoachTPE 69,576

Greetings from Ningbo, China (where the Internet is s…l…o…w and censored).

Oh well, looking at the member statistics, you’re already ahead (70,336 to 69,876)! :bravo:

When I checked on Saturday I was still behind :s, but today I’m finally ahead :slight_smile: .

I have a P4 1.8GHz running Linux, but as there’s no Linux version of the grid software I put in a second HDD with Win2000 and run it from there when I’m out of the office. I guess that, with my 3.2G and 2.6G P4s, has given me the edge… :rainbow:

Come on people - don’t waste those CPU cycles and join in. Our humble team of 15 members (Hobart being our newest member) is storming up the ranks…

[ul]
[li]Jan 27 - Points Generated (Rank) 2,786 (# 32,774)[/li]
[li]Today - Points Generated (Rank) 379,764 (# 7,978) [/li][/ul]

The system is configurable so that, if have an office PC, you can run the application only when you are out of the office, or on weekends. So the its slows my system down too much when I’m working excuse does not apply :wink:

I’m not sure I understand why various Forumosans’ laptops are running hot - the max CPU usage the application uses is 50% irrespective of what what you are running. I’ve been trying to find a way to chance this but so far nada…

I can’t empasise enough how important this project really is, but any CPU time you can donate will contibute something to the project. A lot of small contributions = one large contribution…

Its a shame there isn’t a linux version so that Miltownkid could increase his now static point count.

hypermegaglobal, welcome back…

So did the cancer get cured yet? Somehow I feel this is a big practical joke. If not, I still can’t help with my Mac.