Join the Forumosa Cancerbusters!

Still working on it, Frost, but there’s progress.

news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051108/hl_ … &printer=1

[quote]Missing protein may hold lung cancer key

Tue Nov 8, 1:03 PM ET

A single protein may hold the key to turning the tide on lung cancer – still the world’s biggest cancer killer – research published on Tuesday showed.

Researchers at Vanderbilt University in Nashville found that type 2 receptors for Transforming Growth Factor-b – a family of proteins that controls key functions such as cell growth and death – were missing in non-small cell lung cancer victims.

A check on mice injected with lung cancer cells confirmed the findings, with much smaller and less aggressive tumors developing in those carrying the type 2 TGF-b receptors.

“We’ve established for the first time that these important molecules are either missing or that their action is reduced in three-quarters of all cases of lung cancer,” said lead researcher Professor Pran Datta.

“When we restored the molecules in lung cancer cells in mice, they reduced the ability of the cells to grow as tumors,” he wrote in the British Journal of Cancer.

Having established the link, researchers must now find out how or why the key receptor molecules go missing as the disease develops, in order to find a way of treating it.

Some 80 percent of lung cancers are non-small cell cancers, and the overwhelming cause of lung cancer is smoking – either active or passive. [/quote]

But does that have anything to do with your project? How are they connected?

It’s not my project, doggie-boy!

It’s not my project, doggie-boy![/quote]

Hey! Thats Pirate doggie-boy to you!

Sorry to say, there is no cure to Cancer. Cancer for the most part is caused from oxative stress on cells and spreads. Pollution in the air, chemicals on food, second hand smoke, your immune system is low, not repairing your body fast enough all leads to cancer. Ever hear of antioxidants and how good they are?? Oxative damage, antioxidants help fix damage, makes sense… goto www.wrc.net and it will explain everything. What cancer is, how to prevent it and how to deal with it if it’s too late.
Billions of dollars have been put into cancer research in the past several years and more people are dying now, what’s that tell ya??

Get all that crap out of your body, do yourself a favour and do a cleanse. Clean the filters in your body, be more allert, sleep better, lose some weight, have cleaner blood, lower your blood pressure and more with an all natural cleanse. Did you know that your body is full of parasites that are not good for you?? Try a digestive cleanse you can get in Taiwan. www.unicitynetwork.com.tw for more info. Trust me, you won’t be tired during the day anymore, you’ll wake up after 6 or 8 hours of rest and be alert. There are a few more life style changes you will need to do, like drink more water, don’t eat white bread and reguardless of what you think, milk is not good for you.

Thanks, careyteacher. Without your :loco: comments, I probably wouldn’t have found this interesting article:
[color=blue]

Good news for all of you using Linux or MacOS!
[/color] While United Devices still doesn’t support these operating systems, there’s are similiar protein folding project by Stanford University and they do have clients for Linux and MacOS (and Windows, too). :slight_smile:

EDIT: Here’s a good overview of all distributed computing projects.

EDIT (again): This one’s for Pirate doggie-boy :wink: : Pancreatic Cancer Screensaver Lifesaver Program Identifies New Therapeutic Compounds
Millions of home computers link together to accelerate the drug discovery process

Just saw this post and joined up.

Do I get a badge?

Pleeeeease? :pray:

Or at least a sticker to affix to my workstation…

TFT

[quote=“Taifeitang”]Just saw this post and joined up.

Do I get a badge?

Pleeeeease? :pray:

Or at least a sticker to affix to my workstation…

TFT[/quote]

Ditto…

Two people in my family died of cancer in the past 10 years, so I reckon joining will help my karma in that area and (hopefully) keep my in the clear.

We just passed the 1,000,000 point mark :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Members (Rank) 18 (# 1,953)
Current Members 18
Retired Members 0
Total CPU Time(y:d:h:m.s) (Rank) 5:216:04:57:09 (# 5,165)
Points Generated (Rank) 1,000,617 (# 4,173)
Results Returned (Rank) 3,783 (# 5,798)

Details here…

Oh noes ! :runaway: They’ve stopped it: forum.grid.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=599007 We must have cured cancer then. Maybe we could try another one ?

OK, I’ll unsticky this then.

Congratulations!

What do we do now that they have finished grid.org? There’s a big list on grid.org/home.htm of other distributed computing projects, but I have no idea how to choose.