Joys of Aging

I really do like getting older. 90% of it anyhow.
I recently woke up with TMJ. Out of the blue, a new ailment. I had it for about a month, didn’t for a week and it’s back again. It’s the weirdest, most annoying thing. Did I sleep on my jaw wrong? How did this even happen? This is so dumb.

Do you have an unexpected and baffling ailment? Yeah a bad back or carpal tunnel are to be expected, but what did age bring that left you scratching your head?

7 Likes

frozen shoulder. knee pains

1 Like

我太太 :confused:

1 Like

No one knows what TMJ is.

I got IBS recently. That’s fun.

2 Likes

Fatty liver.

2 Likes

Woke up about a mth ago with Trigger Finger…on both hands!! (Left middle & right ring finger)…Never had this ailment before so I was shocked when I woke up to this extreme pain at the base of the affected fingers and with both fingers bent in a trigger position. I still have it and have bought some medications and ointments to rub on my palms and fingers. Hope this goes away soon as it is really uncomfortable.
There’s also this lower back pain I got about 5~6 years ago…came one morning after I woke up and I still have it today :frowning_face:

1 Like

did you check for gall bladder stones too? they usually come together

Shot of cortisone direct into the finger tendons should fix that.

1 Like

Yeah, no stones. Well, not that kind.

Thought you were just generally irritable.

1 Like

I have trigger finger, too. Never heard of it before.
Left ring finger. Had it in right ring finger, but that went away somehow.
I was using something for a few weeks that had a repetitive motion (kind of like a jackhammer), or at least that’s what I think caused it.
I try to force myself hand to spread out like wings when falling asleep to relax that muscle or tendon or whatever that’s causing it.

2 Likes

I’m not that old (40 next month :grimacing:), but I’ve been getting costochondritis or something similar from time to time over the last 3–4 years – apparently an inflammation of the cartilage between the sternum and ribs that for me always presents to the left of the sternum and makes me convinced I’m having a heart attack. I’ve gotten better with assuming it’s not one since it first started happening (after visiting multiple cardiologists and rheumatologists and the ER once), but it’s definitely annoying, and there’s no clear diagnostic criteria besides everything else being negative/normal.

There’s not really a clear trigger, either – sometimes it happens if I sleep in an odd position or lie on my front or if I lift something too heavy too quickly, and other times I can do those things just fine. I used to be able to lie on a hard floor on my front for hours at a time while working, if I was sick of being at a desk…and now, nope.

Oh, and I apparently entrapped my ulnar nerve earlier this year (probably spending too long at a computer) – that isn’t really resolving itself either. :neutral_face:

4 Likes

One good thing about aging, though, is that you are not expected to perform as much as you are when you are younger. No more stress trying to proof yourself in sports etc. Tough if you want to hang onto your job facing younger competition of course.

I enjoy taking it slowly these days. No more rat race, chasing stupid material things.

On the health side, I discovered a fungus toe nail two months ago, and have tried a variety of natural methods ever since. So far with limited success. Who has got rid of nail fungus without going to the doc and getting drugs?

So far I have tried vinegar, baking soda, and garlic in various amounts and mixtures.

2 Likes

Yes, I saw online that’s the quickest way of fixing it but the thought of injecting a big needle right into my tendons really scares the s#$% out of me. I will have to do that as a last resort!

I believe it was also some kind of repititive motion I did a week or two before the TF started…I was mopping the ceilings and walls of my house (very dirty so I was doing it for about 2 hours straight) and was holding the mop very tight so might have strained my tendons. After that, I painted my walls. So that must be the trigger that triggered my trigger fingers!
I have bought some gloves off shoppee that prevents your hands and fingers from bending while sleeping…waiting for the parcel to arrive soon. The TF gets worse in the mornings when I wake up.

1 Like

Isn’t that something you can only do a very limited number of times? I thought I’d read somewhere that there’s a limit per year (or per lifetime?), but maybe it depends on the condition…?

I’ve also heard cortisone messes things up if used too often

Yes, TF always worse in the morning. Then it seems to not be a bother throughout the day.
It has gotten slightly better in last few months, as not used that heavy equipment since the fall. It is, what it is, as they say.

1 Like

Yeah it’s not pleasant for sure especially if the needle has to push through scar tissue. But it works.

1 Like

Couple of times. For trigger finger you only need one shot.

2 Likes

True! My TF doesnt bother much after I wake up…the only discomfort I feel is the clicking/sticking of my affected fingers when I clench and open my hands…I’ve been doing these exercises I saw on Youtube recently…I hope they give good results!

1 Like

It just stops working if used too often.