šŸ„‹ Judo - Coach puts a child in coma

Youā€™ve seen those videos of people being attacked in the u.s., yes? Pretty sure standing by is the default most places. Your example is extremely benign compared to situations where you have to intercede against some sort of attack or authority figure.

Although that is true everywhere, one really cannot compare places like taiwan vs usa/canada in this regard. Sure there are scared useless tiktok morons there too. But the quantity seems to be less. this however seems vastly different now vs before. I think we have all noticed a huge shift in regards to ability, confidence, mental stability over the decades. But lets be fair. There is far more petty violent crime there than here, eg. Street gang violence and religious nut jobs murdering people. the religiius nut jibs here tell you to eat vegan and stop torturing animals while giving them money for guilt tripping you into payin respect to your family, vastly different. So, intervention is more ingrained there as the consequences tend to be more severe. Traffic accidents there tend to also be higher speed (road density) and as such people help more because its often life or death, vs sued or not sued. I find highway accidents, and other serious accidents here people tend to act more reasonable and compassionate. Its also most understandable if people run away for violence, but here traffic accidents are so common, its almost like going out to eat. I wouldnt be surprised if they could prove desensitization (a word?) Here for traffic accidents, domestic abuse etc. As is the same in other areas for their cultural negative norms.

I think a drastic difference is that traffic accidents are often caused by a serious lack of common sense and skill while driving. This is actually quite easily corrected and not malicious in nature. People shooting, stabbing each other, or throwing around a kid for kicks is a completely different beast. We are comparing morons to psychopaths. regardless of the loss of life or end results, there is a huge difference in intent. And this should be very important. Not that negligence deserves a pardon.

Im not a good person. Id have to do some vigilante justice if i was the dad

1 Like

Well obviously

As to attack, if you mean physical attack then obviously any living creature anywhere will think twice before endangering itself for a stranger

As to authority, you made my argument for me

In Confucian society or German society where Thereā€™s no physical threat the lemmings will still standby and do nothing. Iā€™ve lived in China Korea Japan and Germany

In Confucian society or German society where unquestioned obedience to authority is common bystander apathy is more common.

Many TW parents and kids watched a 7 year old boy get beat to death and the lemmings did nothing, the uncle even filmed it! Then he said he had no legal obligation to rescue his nephew

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2021/06/30/taiwanese-child-dies-after-being-thrown-27-times-in-judo-class/amp/

There have been hundreds of judo deaths or permanent injuries in Taiwan Japan Korea. Most of them occurred in group settings

Bystander apathy is universal but far more common in some places than others.

Kitty Genovese is the most cited case of bystander apathy where NYers did nothing and on the witness stand the killer said he knew NYers would do nothing

Well, no, as weā€™ve seen all the coaching scandals in the u.s. as well. Your example is of no attack, no sorry issue, just helping, with essentially no possible repurcussions. Itā€™s just such all apples to bag of marbles example.

Are you from a society where bystander apathy is common?

You are claiming to win an argument when a black and white situation is not laid before you But the subject is not so easily reduced to black and white

Bystander apathy is relatively common in some society and not in others. The Taiwan parents and kids had nothing to Lose but remained mute lemmings (again)

The boy is gone and it bothers me but it doesnā€™t bother Taiwanese Japanese Koreans Chinese.

Itā€™s happened so oftenā€¦,. Letā€™s hope Maybe with the Internet ā€¦ knowledge of the problem will spur action.

Drunk driving deaths were common in USA until MADD took action

I was born in Taiwan but grew up in the U.S. Iā€™m pretty sure i think that people are more willing to help in non-threatening situations like you described in Taiwan, although in both places youā€™ll find a lot of helpful (and a lot of non helpful) people.

Iā€™m just having a discussion, not trying to internet win anything.

110 kids in Japan between 1983 and 2011 according to your article. The U.S. averages about 12 deaths a year HS and College football players. Add in a sprinkling for younger kids. I have a hard time understanding you trying to blame one on supposed bystander apathy while claiming the other doesnā€™t have the same issue.

The ā€œKitty Genoveseā€ thing is a media-generated meme that was created by (probably intentionally) false NY Times reporting that exonerated the NYPD of its responsibility for its utter failure to respond to calls. In reality, multiple people from the building called NYPD dispatch to tell them that a woman was being attacked, and NYPD dispatch apparently decided that it was just another bar fight from a club down the road that spilled into the street and ignored the calls.

1 Like

An unlicensed judo instructor in Taichung has been sentenced to nine years imprisonment for causing the death of a boy attending his judo class in 2021, in the final ruling in the case.

Ho was sentenced to nine years in the first ruling in the case on June 29 last year, and the prosecutor filed an appeal, which was rejected by the Taiwan High Court this week on the grounds that the first ruling did not overlook evidence or exceed judicial discretion. The Supreme Court agreed with the Taiwan High Court, and said a second appeal would not be granted in the case.

2 Likes