Julian Assange (Wikileaks) arrested

Ah Queensland, where the local aboriginals are still affectionately referred to as ‘black fellas’. A beautiful place but full of ferals and rednecks.

And Asian wanna be gangsters (mainly in brissy). Queensland sucks.

I like Queensland. Lived in Townsville for 5 years and really enjoyed it. More than 300 days of sunshine every year. Winter average max of more than 25 degrees Celcius. If I move back to Aus, Townsville will be my home. Reef, rainforest, monsoon forest, savanna and semi-desert all within easy reach. Beautiful country. :thumbsup:

Good 2.7km hill climb on a road bike there.

[quote=“antarcticbeech”]I like Queensland. Lived in Townsville for 5 years and really enjoyed it. More than 300 days of sunshine every year. Winter average max of more than 25 degrees Celcius. If I move back to Aus, Townsville will be my home. Reef, rainforest, monsoon forest, savanna and semi-desert all within easy reach. Beautiful country. :thumbsup:

Good 2.7km hill climb on a road bike there.[/quote]

yeah but youre living in a place where theres a beer called xxxx

That’s ok. One can still buy James Boag, or Coopers Sparkling, at any reputable establishment. A Coral Trout fillet with James Boag is always nice overlooking the Coral Sea.

That’s why I’m moving there.

Well, some may be thrilled to see this: nytimes.com/2010/12/15/us/15wiki.html?_r=1
China will be off the hook for a while now, no?

Well, some may be thrilled to see this: nytimes.com/2010/12/15/us/15wiki.html?_r=1
China will be off the hook for a while now, no?[/quote]

let the cyberwarfare begin

China will be off the hook for a while now, no?[/quote]

I posted that in one of the other Wikileaks threads. It’s an extremely strange move to make. So much for land of the free.

It appears Manning is being subjected to cruel and inhumane punishment at a minimum or even torture, despite the fact that he’s simply a messenger and hasn’t been convicted of anything.

salon.com/news/opinion/glenn … 4/manning/

[quote=“cfimages”]It appears Manning is being subjected to cruel and inhumane punishment at a minimum or even torture, despite the fact that he’s simply a messenger and hasn’t been convicted of anything.

salon.com/news/opinion/glenn … 4/manning/[/quote]

Good article CF.

It has:

allvoices.com/contributed-ne … r-heats-up

The top 10 countries for downloads of the BOTNET tool are: United States 9,779; United Kingdom 3,185; Germany 1,963; Netherlands 1,680; Canada 1,488; France,1,468; Spain 1,364; Poland 1,309; Russia 1,243; Australia 1,076. Conspicuously absent from this list is Taiwan and its millions of forumosan renegades.

It has:

allvoices.com/contributed-ne … r-heats-up

The top 10 countries for downloads of the BOTNET tool are: United States 9,779; United Kingdom 3,185; Germany 1,963; Netherlands 1,680; Canada 1,488; France,1,468; Spain 1,364; Poland 1,309; Russia 1,243; Australia 1,076. Conspicuously absent from this list is Taiwan and its millions of forumosan renegades.[/quote]

Yeah because most people aren’t teenagers aren’t /b/tards. “Anonymous” pulls this shit not because oh we struggle for freedom! They just need a justifiable excuse to attack an organization, why you may ask? For the lulz. That’s all it’s about, the “lulz,” and even greater lulz is achieved when they get on the news. Enjoy jail time kiddies.

This farce has got to end. Crowley was dead right. This is repulsive, and it’s on Obama’s head.

[quote=“McClatchy”]Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s chief spokesman abruptly resigned Sunday, three days after he publicly criticized the treatment in confinement of WikiLeaks suspect Army Pfc. Bradley Manning as “counterproductive and stupid.”

In a statement, P.J. Crowley said his remarks about Manning’s treatment, made at an appearance Thursday in Cambridge, Mass., were meant to highlight the impact of actions by U.S. security agencies “on our global standing and leadership.”
[…]
A Pentagon spokesman has said that Manning’s conditions of confinement are in compliance with U.S. laws, and suggested that officials are concerned that Manning might try to hurt himself.

At a press conference Friday, President Barack Obama was asked about Crowley’s remarks and offered the spokesman no backing, saying that the Pentagon had assured him that the conditions of Manning’s confinement were appropriate. “I can’t go into details about some of their concerns, but some of this has to do with Private Manning’s safety as well,” Obama said, without elaborating.

In a statement, Clinton said she had accepted Crowley’s resignation “with regret.”

It was unclear whether Crowley had offered his resignation first, or whether Clinton — or the White House — had demanded it.
[…]
While noting that Manning is charged with “a serious crime,” Crowley did not withdraw the gist of his criticisms in his statement Sunday.

“My recent comments … were intended to highlight the broader, even strategic impact of discreet actions undertaken by national security agencies every day and their impact on our global standing and leadership,” he said. “The exercise of power in today’s challenging times and relentless media environment must be prudent and consistent with our laws and values.”[/quote]

They’re stripping him naked EVERY night and putting him in a “suicide suit” whatever that might be. And that’s only the stuff we know about. Utterly disgusting. Those bastards are simply filth, nothing more. The sludge off the bottom of a septic tank. The nickname has never fitted better.

Is it any wonder that Assange is fighting to stay the hell away from anywhere that might send him to the US?
So bitterly disappointing.

[quote=“Slate: Glenn Greenwald”]So, in Barack Obama’s administration, it’s perfectly acceptable to abuse an American citizen in detention who has been convicted of nothing by consigning him to 23-hour-a-day solitary confinement, barring him from exercising in his cell, punitively imposing “suicide watch” restrictions on him against the recommendations of brig psychiatrists, and subjecting him to prolonged, forced nudity designed to humiliate and degrade. But speaking out against that abuse is a firing offense.
[…]
Also, remember how one frequent Democratic critique made of the Right generally and the Bush administration specifically was that they can’t and won’t tolerate dissent: everyone is required to march in lockstep? I wonder how that will be reconciled with this.

Remember when the Bush administration punished Gen. Eric Shinseki for his public (and prescient) dissent on the Rumsfeld/Wolfowitz plan for Iraq, and all good Democrats thought that was so awful, such a terrible sign of the administration’s refusal to tolerate any open debate? And then there was that time when Bush fired his White House economic adviser, Lawrence Lindsey, for publicly suggesting that the Iraq War might cost $100 billion, prompting similar cries of outrage from Democrats about how the GOP crushes internal debate and dissent. Obama’s conduct seems quite far from the time during the campaign when Obama-fawning journalists like Time’s Joe Klein were hailing him for wanting a “team of rivals”, and Obama was saying things like this: “I don’t want to have people who just agree with me. I want people who are continually pushing me out of my comfort zone.”[/quote]

[quote=“Jaboney”] . . . it’s on Obama’s head.[/quote] As my tenth-grade speech teacher might say, some time after Obama got elected someone must have taken him around town and shown him how things work.

Obama’s response should have been “Not anymore. I’m in charge now.”

I agree. It’s horrible. Crowley is totally right.

I think they are trying to make an example of him: public humiliation as a deterrent to any other would-be leakers. Also, they’re probably trying to break him so he’ll implicate Assange and they can extradite him to the US.

Obama’s response should have been “Not anymore. I’m in charge now.”[/quote]
That would have been his death sentence.