"Kamikaze" in Chinese and Taiwanese

Hello. I’d like to know, how do you say, “kamikaze”-a wild and reckless person, in Chinese and in Taiwanese Hokkien and in Taiwanese Mandarin?

I know, 神風 is one way to say in Chinese and 神風特, 攻隊飛行員, and 神風隊飛機 are three ways to say it in Taiwanese Mandarin.

Please let me know and please list as many translationsa s possible. THank you. :smiley:

[quote=“Mavericker”]Hello. I’d like to know, how do you say, “kamikaze”-a wild and reckless person, in Chinese and in Taiwanese Hokkien and in Taiwanese Mandarin?

I know, 神風 is one way to say in Chinese and 神風特, 攻隊飛行員, and 神風隊飛機 are three ways to say it in Taiwanese Mandarin.

Please let me know and please list as many translationsa s possible. THank you. :smiley:[/quote]Can you define “Taiwanese Mandarin” and “Chinese”? Don’t you think it would be a good idea to learn a little about the languages you want to use, even if it’s just for comic book character names?

The other thing is your English interpretation of kamikazi, which alone has a rather specific meaning and one unrelated to fengzi (psycho), for example.

By the way, you could always try zisha feiji - suicide plane, which is how they translate the cocktail, but that doesn’t seem to match your purpose much either.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]The other thing is your English interpretation of kamikazi, which alone has a rather specific meaning and one unrelated to fengzi (psycho), for example.

By the way, you could always try zisha feiji - suicide plane, which is how they translate the cocktail, but that doesn’t seem to match your purpose much either.

HG[/quote]

Hi-this is the definition I’m using:

Kamikaze-a person or thing that behaves in a wildly reckless or destructive manner: We were nearly run down by a kamikaze on a motorcycle.

[quote=“joesax”][quote=“Mavericker”]Hello. I’d like to know, how do you say, “kamikaze”-a wild and reckless person, in Chinese and in Taiwanese Hokkien and in Taiwanese Mandarin?

Please let me know and please list as many translationsa s possible. Thank you. :smiley:[/quote]Can you define “Taiwanese Mandarin” and “Chinese”? Don’t you think it would be a good idea to learn a little about the languages you want to use, even if it’s just for comic book character names?[/quote]

Hello-there’s Chinese Mandarin and Cantonese, and there’s the Taiwanese form of Mandarin.

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]The other thing is your English interpretation of kamikazi, which alone has a rather specific meaning and one unrelated to fengzi (psycho), for example.

HG[/quote]

Hello HG-this is from Dictionary.com:

1. (during World War II) a member of a special corps in the Japanese air force charged with the suicidal mission of crashing an aircraft laden with explosives into an enemy target, esp. a warship.
  2. an airplane used for this purpose.
  3. a person or thing that behaves in a wildly reckless or destructive manner: We were nearly run down by a kamikaze on a motorcycle.
    –adjective 4. of, pertaining to, undertaken by, or characteristic of a kamikaze: a kamikaze pilot; a kamikaze attack.

Definition 3 is the one I’m using.

Hi-I know shen2feng1 is how they say “kamikaze” in China-do they use this term in Taiwan also?

Yes. No one really uses 神風, but everyone knows it.

[quote=“Mavericker”]

1. (during World War II) a member of a special corps in the Japanese air force charged with the suicidal mission of crashing an aircraft laden with explosives into an enemy target, esp. a warship.
  3. a person or thing that behaves in a wildly reckless or destructive manner: We were nearly run down by a kamikaze on a motorcycle.
    –adjective 4. of, pertaining to, undertaken by, or characteristic of a kamikaze: a kamikaze pilot; a kamikaze attack.

Definition 3 is the one I’m using.[/quote]

Remember, just because a word has an extended or metaphorical meaning in one language doesn’t mean it can be stretched that way in another. I’d probably be picking something like a Mandarin equiv. of nutso in this case. But I’m not a native speaker.

Great point. Taiwanese would never refer to a reckless driver as a “kamikaze”. (Answer given by a native speaker)

Great point. Taiwanese would never refer to a reckless driver as a “kamikaze”. (Answer given by a native speaker)[/quote]

No, they’d refer to a reckless driver as normal. :smiley:

[quote=“Dragonbones”][quote=“Mavericker”]

Definition 3 is the one I’m using.[/quote]

Remember, just because a word has an extended or metaphorical meaning in one language doesn’t mean it can be stretched that way in another. I’d probably be picking something like a Mandarin equiv. of nutso in this case. But I’m not a native speaker.[/quote]Not sure that it matters. As far as I can make out, all these translations Mavericker keeps looking for are for names for characters in English-language comic books. Sort of like the authorial equivalent of getting a tattoo of your name “in Chinese characters”.

Oh, so it;s for a tatoo, is it? The n this really does require some attention.

I think 狗屁 encapsulates the divine wind/warrior thing rather nicely. Get it emblazoned somewhere noticable and impress all your Chinese friends with the various recants of what it all means.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Oh, so it;s for a tatoo, is it? The n this really does require some attention.

I think 狗屁 encapsulates the divine wind/warrior thing rather nicely. Get it emblazoned somewhere noticable and impress all your Chinese friends with the various recants of what it all means.

HG[/quote]

Hey, I know someone with that tattoo!

After he returned from the second world war, my grandfather was regarded as a war hero. They declared him an official 狗屁 and thus he had the characters 狗屁 tattooed across his back.

Even now, whenever someone asks about the war, he still takes off his shirt proudly to display his 狗屁 tattoo.

Great point. Taiwanese would never refer to a reckless driver as a “kamikaze”. (Answer given by a native speaker)[/quote]

Hi-I’d like to know, what are Taiwanese terms for “a wild and reckless person”?

Are there any slang terms for it? :smiley:

Mavericker,
In case you haven’t figured it out, I think you’ve worn out your welcome with this kind of question.
In most communities, there is a give and take going on. You are welcome to take from the community, but you have to give to it as well. I don’t see many contributions from your side.
I recommend a language exchange. You can set one up even if you are not in Taiwan, via Skype or other Internet means. An LE is expecting to work for free and to answer all your questions.

[quote=“ironlady”]Mavericker,
In case you haven’t figured it out, I think you’ve worn out your welcome with this kind of question.
In most communities, there is a give and take going on. You are welcome to take from the community, but you have to give to it as well. I don’t see many contributions from your side.
I recommend a language exchange. You can set one up even if you are not in Taiwan, via Skype or other Internet means. An LE is expecting to work for free and to answer all your questions.[/quote]

Hello-do you have any advice for what to do so I don’t get kicked off of certain forums and message boards?

神風特攻隊; 飛行員;神風隊飛機

are three ways to say “kamikaze” in Taiwanese Mandarin. Do these terms mean “warrior”?

[quote=“Mavericker”][quote=“ironlady”]Mavericker,
I recommend a language exchange. You can set one up even if you are not in Taiwan, via Skype or other Internet means. An LE is expecting to work for free and to answer all your questions.[/quote]

Hello-do you have any advice for what to do so I don’t get kicked off of certain forums and message boards?[/quote]You haven’t actually been kicked off many forums have you? I see that the DC Comics board let you back on. It’s true that you’re becoming a bit of an Internet phenomenon with all your language questions, though, and some people are definitely getting annoyed by them.

As to what you can do about it, Ironlady has a point about the give and take thing. But I’m not sure if you even need to “give” that much in return for the help you recieve. I think what you need to do is:

a) To persuade people that your project is something vaguely worthwhile that has a chance of actually happening. You’ve been asking lots of the same questions about twenty or so different languages, on lots of different forums. And you’ve been asking them for quite some time – a year? More? Ostensibly the translations you’re looking for are for names for characters in the comic book you’re writing. I think that for a lot of people that just doesn’t seem to compute. Maybe if you could talk a bit more about your project and why you need all this stuff, people might be a bit more sympathetic.

b) To actually listen carefully to the answers that people give you. Sometimes it seems that people try to help you, then you reply telling them they’re incorrect. That may not be your intention, but that’s how it comes across sometimes.

c) To know when you’ve exhausted a particular source of knowledge. That means not posting strings of questions in multiple threads. If you haven’t received an answer to a particular question, it probably means you’re not going to get one, from that source anyway, so you should stop asking the same kind of question there.

Hope that helps.

Joe

[quote=“joesax”][quote=“Mavericker”][quote=“ironlady”]Mavericker,

Hello-do you have any advice for what to do so I don’t get kicked off of certain forums and message boards?[/quote]You haven’t actually been kicked off many forums have you? I see that the DC Comics board let you back on. It’s true that you’re becoming a bit of an Internet phenomenon with all your language questions, though, and some people are definitely getting annoyed by them.

As to what you can do about it, Ironlady has a point about the give and take thing. But I’m not sure if you even need to “give” that much in return for the help you recieve. I think what you need to do is:

a) To persuade people that your project is something vaguely worthwhile that has a chance of actually happening. You’ve been asking lots of the same questions about twenty or so different languages, on lots of different forums. And you’ve been asking them for quite some time – a year? More? Ostensibly the translations you’re looking for are for names for characters in the comic book you’re writing. I think that for a lot of people that just doesn’t seem to compute. Maybe if you could talk a bit more about your project and why you need all this stuff, people might be a bit more sympathetic.

b) To actually listen carefully to the answers that people give you. Sometimes it seems that people try to help you, then you reply telling them they’re incorrect. That may not be your intention, but that’s how it comes across sometimes.

c) To know when you’ve exhausted a particular source of knowledge. That means not posting strings of questions in multiple threads. If you haven’t received an answer to a particular question, it probably means you’re not going to get one, from that source anyway, so you should stop asking the same kind of question there.

Hope that helps.

Joe[/quote]

Thank you.

Getting back to topic,

are 神风" and "神风敢死队 Taiwanese terms, and do these mean “warrior”?