Kaohsiung burger wars

…hmmm. the internet i guess. I probably have everyones nationality wronbhere :slight_smile:

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Haha. Are you sure you weren’t thinking of the other Andrew, @Andrew0409? I think he’s Taiwanese, or Taiwanese American.

1 Like

Quite likely…all you andrews are the same to me…

Actually, i never even noticed those numbers after the name til now. Excuse me if there were awkward posts in the past, this may well explain it.

1 Like

In Tainan i went to a burguer called Rock Zebra. It was good. They served the Coke like here in many places, prepared I supposed from a big bottle, you don’t see where it comes from, which is illegal in Europe. I really don’t like it.

In Taitung I went to a burguer near the bike path which in theory circles the city, but has been partly destroyed to build a road or something. The burger was served with a slice of pineapple. It was good. It was optional, I suppose, I just was too tired and didn’t pay much attention when I ordered. I can’t find the place in Google maps. Will try again later.

If we’re including Tainan in the mix, then you have to try Shack.

The Shack Bar&Grill Tainan
+886 6 208 0810

1 Like

You’re probably talking about Sam’s Burger? (Not in Kaohsiung, though - I think it’s just a single restaurant)

1 Like

It’s not that he only talks about Western food (he doesn’t), it’s that when he does talk about Western food he seems to irrationally champion the worst possible versions of it.

3 Likes

No. I don’t champion anything. I just question the gatekeeping and general snobbishness.

Friend? It’s been a long time since I heard that word. Not since Niagara Falls. If you want to be my pal just give me the name of a place or two where I can get a clean burger with no Worcestershire sauce or fish contamination. I’ll even throw in a bonus if you can get me a place that has a clean fryer which fries their french fries and onion rings in a vet that doesn’t contain fish or seafood. I actually don’t care about the other stuff. I can deal with it
McDonald’s is safe for me and that is where I go for my burger because they definitely separate their fryers. Fish/meat/fries all separate.
It would be so great to walk into a place and bite into a burger without having to worry or experience itchy Ness and breathing problems. And by the way, I have to travel an hour to get to your recommended burger place so really. It means a lot.

My current list is as follows:

1. new Murk Bar: Had a great late-night burger there. It could be because I was hungry, or because my expectations were low, but man it was delicious. Best patty I’ve had so far in K-Town.

2. Arkansas Diner: I have burgered there twice, so far a consistently great sandwich. Service is great, atmosphere not my style.

3. Lighthouse: Good sandwich, my kinda place, service was good. I got onion-rings for a change and there were a paltry 6 on the plate.

4. Burger King: What can I say, it is the closet to where I live now. They have an Angus burger that is not bad.

5. McDonald’s: The Angus BLT is worth it, for my first 6 months here this was my only burger option within an hour of where I was staying.

6. Smokey Joes: The meat tasted off, and they said the slow service was due to cooking fresh fries but the fries were cold. Cool building, though.

7. updated Foster Hewitt’s: First visit was dry and tasteless burger that benefitted from mayo and tobasco. I went back a second time to give them another chance and try the poutine. As a Canadian, I found the poutine offensive (details available on request); the burger was undercooked and not just pink but slimy on the inside (still tasteless); I was overcharged based on the menu prices (30NT so not worth the hassle), and will probably never go back.

2 Likes

We’re waiting! :rofl:

Guy

… they aren’t that interesting…

• The fries were that type which seem to be coated with something, wrong style. They were neither hot nor fresh.
  • Not only were there no cheese curds, there seemed to be no cheese (this is 1/3 of the ingredients required).
  • Such gravy as there was seemed to be powder-based and poorly made, not hot enough to melt the non-existent cheese, not much of it, not much flavour.

Living in Ottawa for many years, it was easy to get pub food and poutine (there are now multiple poutineries, and even a great shawarma place by the Market the sells shawarma poutine) so perhaps my standards have risen too far, but considering it is the closest thing to a national dish I will stand by my offence.

How dare they.

3 Likes

Fair points, but surely the slimy raw burger is worse? Thats literally dangerous, not just nasty.

Edit. Does kaohsiung still have a burger king?

I could give them the benefit of the doubt on the burger, since the first one was not undercooked. What national pride I have, however, draws a line. It’s french fries, cheese, and gravy: pretty hard to mess that up.

There’s at least a couple; one just south of the main train station at the centre of town, for example.

2 Likes

Gotcha. Cheers for clarifying. I thought burger king had already descended into the depths of international airports for the last few years before covid. Having not taken flights for the past 4 years, i was half expecting them to be gone completely haha.

I get the hate for the fries. truly, most poutine i have had is also…well…ya. shit would be an understatement, i dont even bother trying it anymore. That said i can understand that gravy isnt so easy as we canucks might presume. Its just not a taiwanese thing. Even the cooking methods. margins here are so low, it makes zero sense to run gas/electricity that long for such a product. never mind the herbs and spices, they are fairly unfamiliar. It can get done here, but i have forgiveness if they cant match a nice christmas turkey dinner gravy back home. Much like back home cant match a good hot pot here. Mos burger chains have poutine now. Im not sure why thye admitted it to me, but theyvsaid it is their regular fries, with pizza cheese (that starch coated mozerella frozen stuff) and that nasty red sauce they use in their burgers. 120 if i remember right. Its as bad as it sounds.

What i find unforgivable is a raw meat that is grilled/bbq style because taiwanese CERTAINLY have experience on this front (cooking meat). There are no excuses for raw slime meat in my opinion. If youre serving that, you best be a night market vendor and NOT display your name/phone number and dont bother printing business cards.

Still have Legends, Bottom’s Up, Oxford to try out.

1. Murk Bar: Had a great late-night burger there. It could be because I was hungry, or because my expectations were low, but man it was delicious. Best patty I’ve had so far in K-Town.
  2. new Beast: Blue cheese burger was pretty good; a bit dry but at least it was cooked through for a change. Nice place, I will go back.
  3. Arkansas Diner: I have burgered there twice, so far a consistently great sandwich. Service is great, atmosphere not my style.
  4. Lighthouse: Good sandwich, my kinda place, service was good. I got onion-rings for a change and there were a paltry 6 on the plate. Had a second burger on another visit which was closer to mediocre.
  5. Burger King: What can I say, it is the closet to where I live now. They have an Angus burger that is not bad.
  6. McDonald’s: The Angus BLT is worth it, for my first 6 months here this was my only burger option within an hour of where I was staying.
  7. Smokey Joes: The meat tasted off, and they said the slow service was due to cooking fresh fries but the fries were cold. Cool building, though.
  8. Foster Hewitt’s: First visit was dry and tasteless burger that benefitted from mayo and tobasco. I went back a second time to give them another chance and try the poutine. As a Canadian, I found the poutine offensive (details available on request); the burger was undercooked and not just pink but slimy on the inside (still tasteless); I was overcharged based on the menu prices (30NT so not worth the hassle), and will probably never go back.

I didn’t even know Yaletown does burgers. It seems criminal to me to go there and not get the pastrami sandwich.

my mistake, they do not

New burger place called Tec. Burgers which is good you can try out. They opened just recently.

The burger patty was thick and cooked well. Bun was toasted and seemed fresh. Not like the “burgers” you get at the breakfast places. Got the cheese burger which is a melted cheese on top and then cheese sauce.

Also comes with a small side of fries or onion rings or I think chicken nuggets, decent price (160-200ish depending on what you get)

It’s a small joint, so not much seating (like maybe 6 seats total).

1 Like

Sounds good!