Kaohsiung burger wars

Not sure. I think the same people used to operate at another location on Jungshan Road. Back then it was good. Don’t know if it’s as good now.

Seems I’ll have to do my civic duty and put it on the list, then :slight_smile:

Processed with pink slime?

Forgot to post before, but I went there (twice!) when I visited Kaohsiung a couple of weeks ago based on this recommendation. That was a pretty good burger!

2 Likes

What’s the best burger in Taipei?

For your consideration:

Guy

1 Like

that convenient thread was the inspiration for this thread

also, in addition to Monster Burger I’ll put Nobichon on the list to try, thanks @PeiHua-Connie for the recommendation on another thread!

1 Like

I had their deep fried burger the other day.

Delicious, but cannot move afterwards :rofl:

Yes that’s a whole cheeseburger inside, the outside is all crispy and delicious, but inside it’s still like a real burger, bun and all!

1 Like

Jeezus I thought the holidays were already rough, but this takes things to the next level!

Guy

1 Like

No. Just… no. I feel nauseous just looking at that. :nauseated_face:

:stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

:open_mouth:

wow! is that what is meant by a “japanese burger”? i was thinking sushi rice for a bun and raw fish in the middle, until seeing the pictures!

one of my big disappointments with the street food and bien dang here so far is that fried meat cutlet seems the order of the day every day at every place.

1 Like

Easy to reheat and let sit for hours . Makes sense.

that deep fried burger is next level. Yikes!

1 Like

Monster Burger is still on the list to try.

Reigning champ
Webberger: Wow. Fresh, juicy, tasty. I had the double cheese, which seemed to be a simple meat and cheese burger. So good. Best fries I’ve had in K-town, hot and fresh. Bonus coleslaw was delicious. Every table was taken, the music was great. Second visit, same story.

Contenders

• Murk Bar: Had a great late-night burger there. It could be because I was hungry, or because my expectations were low, but man it was delicious. Second visit was the same.

Coulda been a contenders

• Bottoms Up: That’s a tasty burger. Nice place, was quite busy. The fresh side salad in addition to the fries was definitely nice to see. Second visit was the same. The third visit was pretty disappointing (same great salad and service, burger not as good for whatever reason), knocking it out of contention.
  • Beast
  • Tec Burger

There are other things on the menu, but the burger is decent if that’s your hankering

• Arkansas Diner
  • Lighthouse
  • The Plus Star
  • new–> Nobichon: I finally got around to trying the burger here and was pretty disappointed, decent is actually generous and I wouldn’t order the same burger again (would rather have McDonald’s, to be honest). Maybe I should have tried the deep fried burger. Nice place and great service, I would go back and try something else.

Better off going to McDonalds or Burger King, if you know your burgers at all

• MMB (Hanshin)
  • Oxford
  • Smokey Joes
  • Legends
  • Foster Hewitt’s

Honorable mention
Yaletown: While not technically a real burger (like, for example, McDonalds would serve), this beef-based sandwich was amazeballs. Second visit I upgraded to a proper Reuben, not cheap but so delicious!

Monster Burger, Burger Pattie, still on the list to try. Always on the lookout for recommendations and second opinions; this isn’t my thread it is a Kaohsiung burger thread!

Reigning champ
Webberger: Wow. Fresh, juicy, tasty. I had the double cheese, which seemed to be a simple meat and cheese burger. So good. Best fries I’ve had in K-town, hot and fresh. Bonus coleslaw was delicious. Every table was taken, the music was great. Second visit, same story.

Contenders

• Beast: I recently stopped by BEAST because I was in the area and like the vibe. Tried a different variety of burger than previously and it was very good. That’s the 3rd burger there, I have consistently enjoyed the experience.
  • Murk Bar

Coulda been a contenders

• Bottoms Up
  • Tec Burger

There are other things on the menu, but the burger is decent if that’s your hankering

• Arkansas Diner
  • Lighthouse
  • The Plus Star
  • Nobichon

• MMB (Hanshin)
  • Oxford
  • Smokey Joes
  • Legends
  • Foster Hewitt’s

Honorable mention
Yaletown: Try the smoked meat sandwich. Wow.

Either Tec Burgers moved locations or completely shut down.

1 Like

There will be a new burger place, Black Burger & Pasta, in that new department store near the MRT Athletic Stadium stop. Not far from The Lighthouse, Foster Hewitt and the Arkansas Diner.

Has anybody tried The Drafthouse? I THINK that place is in the old Foster Hewitt 1 location, or if not really close. Also in the same area.

There are also a couple burgers at Pier 2. The Freen Burger is indoors, across that pedestrian bridge, and there’s at least one other outside. I haven’t had the Freen Burger yet, but they do have a nice IPA on tap (even if the serving is small).

I’m standing pat on Monster Burger. Still my favorite, even if their fries are disappointing. I wish I could order the Legends fries with the burger at Monster Burger. I suppose I could use FoodPanda, but I hate using FoodPanda.

1 Like

Have you tried any of these since posting this?

Burger Pattie, still on the list to try. Always on the lookout for recommendations and second opinions; this isn’t my thread it is a Kaohsiung burger thread!

Reigning champ
Webberger: Second and third visits, same story.

Contenders

• Beast: 2 good burgers, one great
  • Murk Bar: 2 great burgers so far

Coulda been a contenders

• new–> Monster Burger: Nice place, cute. Generous helping of fries, unlimited fountain drinks, so good value. Good service, fast and friendly. Burger was OK, but for my money not the best in town.
  • Bottoms Up
  • Tec Burger

• Arkansas Diner
  • Lighthouse
  • The Plus Star
  • Nobichon

• MMB (Hanshin)
  • Oxford
  • Smokey Joes
  • Legends
  • Foster Hewitt’s

Honorable mention
Yaletown: Try the smoked meat sandwich. Wow.

I’ve had the Freen Burger. Nothing to write home about. The bun was good (they make it onsite), but overall not as good as a few other places.

1 Like