Kaohsiung Eateries

Xing Long Ju (興隆居)
No. 186, Liuhe 2nd Rd, Qianjin District, Kaohsiung City, Taiwan 801 (801高雄市前金區六合二路186號)

• Savory Soy Bean Milk (Doujiang)

The Breakfast House(早餐之家)
No. 270號, Sanmin Rd, Fengshan District, Kaohsiung City, Taiwan 830 (830高雄市鳳山區三民路270號)

• Salty Shao Bing

Yaletown Bistro ( 耶魯小鎮)
No. 26-3, No. 26-3, Xinguang Rd, Lingya District, Kaohsiung City, Taiwan 802 (No. 26-3, No. 26-3新光路苓雅區高雄市802)

• Montreal Smoked Meat Sandwich Combo ( 煙燻牛肉三明治套餐)
  • Reuben Sandwich Combo ( 魯賓煙燻牛肉三明治套餐)

I found the absolute best Taiwanese bento place in Kaohsiung:

Mei’s Pork Ribs Restaurant(梅家村排骨飯)

Don’t get the pork ribs. Get the braised fatty pork (luroufan/滷肉飯) instead. Absolutely heavenly.

There are several locations in Kaohsiung.

But that’s what they’re famous for, so it must be their best example of local cuisine, right?

They’re actually famous for their pork belly, even though pork ribs is in the name.

1 Like

I do feel this is average place (check google rating, is so so) and I tried once. There are to me better local ones in most areas of Kao City, no need visit unless one is near. To me its not even the absolute best .
Ha, this afternoon on the way to the Mex or UK burger/quesadilla place saw a pork rice place that was busy, maybe will try and do a photo review.

Did you order the lurou? You thought that was average?

What are some that you like?

Yes, average, so much so I did not go back. There are so many of theses local shops, I would not go far to try one. I would search where you work or ask co workers about good lunch boxes places nearby, as there are many and each area has some good ones.
One that is bit far, but I went a few times near my friends house is 儂來簡餐便當 near the lake/high speed rail station though with a car not much car park places, so use your scooter.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ll give it a try. I usually just order on Uber Eats, so distance isn’t an issue. There aren’t any good ones near me.

@TT I ordered from this place again, and this time I paid more attention to the flavor of their braised fatty pork. Now I know why it’s so good.

It doesn’t taste like your typical Taiwanese/Hokkien braised pork. It is braised in a very sweet and salty dark sauce, which I have only had in China. I believe it is Jiangsu/Zhejiang/Shanghai style.

And it’s SOOOO good!

@PeiHua-Connie I still haven’t had the chance to try the one you suggested yet. I’ll update everyone when I do.

If I threw away the fat, still anything there?

Half of it will still be there, but why would you do that? Do you do that with bacon and brisket too?

If I cook the bacon, i cook off as much fat as possible

Too much fat isn’t healthy for me, history of cholesterol in the family. Also I’d rather save the calories for beer

I used to have a Thai friend who would always call me up when he wanted a certain pork neck dish, because I preferred the lean meat parts and he preferred the glommy fatty bits

2 Likes

I like this steak house, its old classic one but still nice inside and its much older than me

1 Like

This looks good, will be in Tainan a few weeks but will go Kaohsiung visit friends, will add this to my list. Do you need wait long and any nice drinks

1 Like

Usually not a wait unless you go around 12:30 or 1 during peak lunch rush. And then probably just 5-10 minute wait. I would suggest going either at 11:30 before lunch rush, or around 1:30 when it’s ending. Even if you go during lunch rush and there is a wait, it shouldn’t be too long.

Their tea is nice, but it’s not really known for its drinks. They have great side dishes though.

1 Like

@DrewC: oh yeah, this thread :joy:

1 Like