Kaohsiung Eateries

What are the some of best local restaurants in Kaohsiung? What are the cheapest? What do you usually order?

I found the best local food by asking around the locals in my area, the security guards in my building are very helpful. To be honest every time i have tried on of the “Best in Kaohsiung” restaurants, with a 2 hour wait outside and reviews all over the internet, they have never failed to disappoint.

1 Like

I love this place and it’s dirt cheap.

Interesting someone else goes here on this board. I like to Bao, not so much as fried rice, ect. Price is good, and after here in Southern California a Soy drink for NT$100 and bit cheaper a in El Paso a but still triple Kaoshiung price, do miss those prices. This place is central, going by car is a problem (no parking), so bike there.

Seems to be a lot of interest in Kaohsiung food lately. Wasn’t this particular thread originally about local food?

K-town is the place to be. Taipei is stalling.

Maybe Kaohsiung has just got hungry :yum:

That new kaohsiung mayor is spicing things up.

But we can’t all just eat fish

Whatever you end up eating in Kaohsiung, I would suggest not trusting the ratings on Google. We’ve ended up going to a lot of bad places that way.

If I want a burger in Kaohsiung I usually end up at the T.G.I. Friday’s in Dream Mall. It’s a more pleasant place to sit. Foster Hewitt’s is alright. DON’T go to that burger place across from the FE 21 (assuming it’s still around). That place is terrible.

For a burger , now I like simple maccas/ Micky D’s burger inside FE21 haha.

Taipei has lot, but sometimes overpriced and now days even though I go weekly when I am in Taiwan I stay only for the day (meetings) and after work dinner and train it back south, no more weekends there to try cafes there. I feel I know the South better , I just go local and find something interesting.

Nothing beats “beast burger” imho :sunglasses:

Never been there. I’ll have to check it out.

IMG_20190616_131119

delicious, and only NT$110, too

Looking for course meals in Kaohsiung. Any recommendations? I’m happy to spend NT1000-1500 per person, it’s a special occasion. European, fusion, anything, so long as it’s good. Just not sushi, we had that last night haha.

Actually it doesn’t even have to be a course meal, even though that’s preferable. I’d settle for a good steak at a place with a bar.

Thank you!

Alright so we went to Croatian Kitchen tonight.

https://g.page/CroatianKitchen?share

The grilled pork chop was perfect. We paid 699 for it (pretty much enough for two people) but would have happily paid more. The stew was killer too. Had a good talk with the owner afterward, really straight, no bullsh*t guy. Got the impression that he’s really passionate about his craft, it’s kind of a gift he has, since he’s not trained in culinary whatsoever. We’re definitely going back.

Excellent restaurant and the best we’ve been to so far in Kaohsiung. Check them out.

Pro-tip: make a reservation, he hates walk-ins :rofl: Some of the items you usually have to order a day ahead anyway.

2 Likes

Enjoy the shop while you can, as I doubt this approach will work with Taiwanese customers who value spontaneity…

Guy

He said about as much himself, it’s funny you picked up on that right away.

1 Like

After more than a decade in Taiwan, I am slowly getting the hang of this place. :grin:

Guy

2 Likes