Mexican Food in Kaohsiung

I’m not familiar with Kaohsiung, but the family will be there Monday. We REALLY want to find some decent Mex. or Tex-Mex food. I’'ve read here that Smokey Joe’s is OK, and mixed reviews on Friday’s.
What I need are addresses, and other recommendations. Where can I find these places? I can speak decent Mandarin, so I can give an address to a taxi driver (I can also print it out and show him)
THANKS!! :notworthy:

[quote=“kjmillig”]I’m not familiar with Kaohsiung, but the family will be there Monday. We REALLY want to find some decent Mex. or Tex-Mex food. I’'ve read here that Smokey Joe’s is OK, and mixed reviews on Friday’s.
What I need are addresses, and other recommendations. Where can I find these places? I can speak decent Mandarin, so I can give an address to a taxi driver (I can also print it out and show him)
THANKS!! :notworthy:[/quote]

Its a little late, but just opened last month: There’s a great authentic Mexican join on Heti, just north of Yucheng called Don Burrito. 528 Heti road, just south of a Spanish restaurant. They make an amazing pork burrito, tacos, and enchiladas. They even make their own tortilla chips- something I haven’t had anywhere else outside of the “New World.” You’ll have to pay for it though- my burrito was 250nt, but it came with a platter, rice, refritos, a little salad, soup, and homemade salsa. He also makes sangria and margaritas.

facebook.com/pages/Don-Burri … 1642311839

Hi all,

Don Burrito @ 528 Heti Rd. Zuoying District is awesome! Tel 07 310 1517

…well, I am from Australia and Don Burrito is the best Mexican food I have ever had. The owner, Manuel Hernandez is from Mexico and orders many ingredients from Mexico, including the special chilli peppers that are hard to find just about anywhere else. He also cares a great deal about his food.

Recommended dishes: anything, but make sure you try the Nachos if all you ever had were the usual TexMex caffe style nachos. Also try the pineapple smoothie.

I am not connected to the restaurant, just extremely happy with their food so I hope they do well enough to stick around for a long while.

Opening hours: 11-14 & 17-23 every day. Go today :smiley:

V.

…oh did not see this post when I made my own. I was at Don Burrito on my phone making my post, and did not have enough free hands/attention to read the forum. Yes, Don Burrito. It is very, very good.

Here is my post: viewtopic.php?f=108&t=103515

V.

There’s another Mexican joint down by the ferry to Cisian. Its right next to a mango ice place and a Family Mart.

I was much less impressed with this one. The price was right, but they smothered their burrito with a velveeta kind of sauce instead of cheese and forgot to bake it. Also, the mole (an amazingly complex sauce by the way. Something I recently learned- and is so time consuming to make that its usually just served at weddings, etc.) was made with milk chocolate rather than bitter chocolate, so it tasted more like a dessert than anything else. They also served the chicken with its skin on (something I’ll never get used to in Taiwan, and its greasy not crispy) and the salsa was from a jar. Arguably the most upsetting thing was that the woman who ran the place with her Taiwanese husband was from MC. Oh well. It was nice for a change, but if you want the real deal I think you’ll just have to go back to the States. …or, of course, move to Mexico. Hmmm…

[quote=“vmajor”]Hi all,

Don Burrito @ 528 Heti Rd. Zuoying District is awesome! Tel 07 310 1517

…well, I am from Australia and Don Burrito is the best Mexican food I have ever had. The owner, Manuel Hernandez is from Mexico and orders many ingredients from Mexico, including the special chilli peppers that are hard to find just about anywhere else. He also cares a great deal about his food.

Recommended dishes: anything, but make sure you try the Nachos if all you ever had were the usual TexMex caffe style nachos. Also try the pineapple smoothie.

I am not connected to the restaurant, just extremely happy with their food so I hope they do well enough to stick around for a long while.

Opening hours: 11-14 & 17-23 every day. Go today :smiley:

V.[/quote]

We tried this place on Sunday. Very generous portions, huge amounts of meat (which may or may not be what you want) and quite reasonable prices. The service was OK, but could have been better (six forks for seven people?). The taste of the food was pretty good, but we’ve had better Mexican at Willy’s in Tainan and Little Mexico in Taichung.

Paco’s Tacos!!!

Friggin’ awesome. Smokey Joes is pretty good too.

when i was there, general pancho’s was the only one, behind shinkuchan, same street as NYC pizza, it’s regular texmex, but they have a homemade salsa that im sure you can buy from them that could save a couple of dishes (it’s been a while since i was there, so forgive me if the place is no more)

[/img][/pdfview][quote=“kjmillig”]I’m not familiar with Kaohsiung, but the family will be there Monday. We REALLY want to find some decent Mex. or Tex-Mex food. I’'ve read here that Smokey Joe’s is OK, and mixed reviews on Friday’s.
THANKS!! :notworthy:[/quote]

Any place with fresh avacados ? I miss them.

Seems easy to find now, big change from six years ago.

Huh? I’m in Kaohsiung. Good Mexican food and good avocados are both in short supply here. There’s some edible Mexican food to find, but none I’d say are good. Not anymore anyway. There was a pretty good one near Central Park that shut down last year (Pancho Villa’s?). The Mexican I get here usually has salsa and sour cream, but either no guacamole or that fake kind of guac that’s some manufactured green paste. If you want your own supply, Jason’s very occasionally has avocados, but most of the time they don’t.

@DKaoshuing if you know a good Mexican joint in our city, please let me know as I haven’t been much impressed by what I’ve had here.

For Avocados I can also fin Hass ones at Costco, always have them when I want then but comes in bag of six. For single ones, Jason’s at Uni-President has them almost always as does the Jason’s at old Hanshin (ChengKung Road). I also see them and Taiwan local ones there, and as well now at local fruit market (cheaper).

As for Mexican food places, this one is decent (They also serve other foods to survive, as you can see Mexican food is not so popular in Taiwan) El Patron 阿豆仔大ㄟ, photos: https://hoolee.tw/el-patron/

Also Mi Casita 米卡希達 add:苓雅區新光路140巷39號, decent Mexican café with small Mexican/latin market.

Kaohsiung, Taiwan

I just flew back last week from Hawaii, and New York City had Mexican in both was ok, but I still like in Texas best, and Taiwan less so but still sometimes go there.

Thanks for the insights on the avocados. I’ll see if I can find them at Costco.
I have to respectfully disagree about El Patron. There’s one that’s near me. Imo, it’s okay if I’m really craving Mexican, but that’s about as far as I’d go.
I’m from New York originally. It’s no Texas (or even Los Angeles), but the Mexican is still much better than anything here.

I Feel @DrewC is being kind here :wink:

1 Like

Live around the corner from smokey joes, been there a few times, pretty good.

Ehhhhhhhhh

It’s a Jack of all Trades, King of none. Most dishes are okay, but none I’d really call great. I’m in your neighborhood btw.

The Smokey Joe’s near me is a different one.

Tonight, at Jason’s @ Uni-President department store.

1 Like

Thats why i dont mind them, get most anything non-asian there.

But then again, 7-11 across the road can give a you 5 course meal for 150 ahah

If I’m in that area I prefer Andy’s pizza, or there’s a pretty good Turkish restaurant that’s nearby.

Think I know the Turkish place you speak of, but Andy’s pizza doesn’t exist. Andy sold the place a while back to some english guys and went back to the states with his wife and kids, it’s called legends pizza now, and it’s not very good, overpriced and the food quality has gone down. Went there once, wont be going back and dont expect them to be open for very much longer, place is empty about 95% of the time it’s open.