Keep safe! Extremely Heavy Rain Advisory (it filled up our lakes!)

Are these figures not updated much? Because I swear it must have been raining cats and dogs where these reservoirs are. Or is there something else going on?

It takes a while for water to flow out of the watersheds and into the reservoirs.

3 Likes

This looks good, at least for Northern Taiwan.

3 Likes

Yes same as where I come from in a valley a high forest each side takes 2-4 weeks to top up reservoirs,

1 Like

It took a months to drain them, it will take many days (or weeks) to fill them. Also not sure being 100% full is the goal, as need keep some space for flood control. It’s a science but every year is different so hard to be exact.

3 Likes

If the government keeps putting this off as a back seat priority, we will pay. I mean, its an extremely easy (or at least, simple) fix and will be fast once they are motivated. Which is probably why the politicians dont prioritize it because they know they have the money and machinery to make the fix overnight. What pisses me off is the fact they are willing to gamble the citizens that rely on water (food production and nearly all manufacturing). It is insanely retarded to work like this as a country with both the finances and the infrastructure to fix it asap!

I have already dug a 1000 tonne pond, have 2, 100 tonne concrete cisterns registered with the government and awaiting their 2 to 3 year wait to be allowed to make a concrete circle…2 concrete circles, sorry. Next year if nothing changes, will dig another 1000 tonne pond just for good measure cause these clowns are going to start causing poverty and assaults. Already have.

The AG industry is already fighting over water the last years. I mean literally fighting. With bats, pipes, headlights and blowtorches. Not just sueing each other and everything in between which has already happened for decades. It hasnt hit the big time guys like the tech folk. But what happens when the the water is only enough for tsmc and co or the people of hsinchu. Which gets priority? Just a random example, extrapolate that island wide with whatever massive manufacturing hub vs the citizens.

If pollution and contamination levels have taught us anything, the dollar is more important than people here. but i dont expect people that are too dumb to ignore cancers, organ failures etc to be the extreme level of dumb it would take to ignore no water. I doubt that very much. Government might want to think on that before ignoring the ticking timb bomb that is water security.

1 Like

Maybe they are thinking all the dried out flood channels and water catchment areas can have solar panels placed at ground level! This is a great idea brought to you by 120 million in consulting funds stolen from the public. Or whatever. What a bunch of f*cking goofs!

1 Like

Good post, most people would want lakes with weeks worth or rain, not a day’s rainfall. We will see how this month goes, hopefully normal rain, not too much or too little.

This morning, its Kaoshuing. Early morning heavy rains.

1 Like

Nice link, with colors and moving water tank.

2 Likes

This morning very heavy rains, map for just this morning, summer monsoon rains here early maybe. Rain is good but not like this. June totals should be high.

2 Likes

A few places in Pingtung and Kaohsiung have had over 200mm since midnight, and between 300 and 500mm since yesterday. Rivers down there will be raging, and hopefully it went far enough inland to give the dams a drink too. TV news today will no doubt be full of flooding scenes and the results of some being stupid - but hopefully no serious injuries or loss of life as the Hospitals are busy enough as it is at present.

2 Likes

Yes, some local flooding. Good thing there are much fewer COVID cases here in the South as of now, compared to the North.

3 Likes

The weather in Taipei feels amaaaazing now.

1 Like

Enjoy it while it lasts!

3 Likes

Looks better now, getting to seasonal norms

3 Likes

When I returned to the US in 2014 they said there was about 8 inches of rain, which is about 200mm. That was called a bad rain and in Taiwan that is just tuesday. A 300mm rain anywhere in the US would be a disaster. I remember hurricane Harvey dumped like 30+ inches of rain into Houston and that was a 100 year flood.

1 Like

Afternoon Thunderstorm passing over Yingge right now, mostly noise with little rain.

And yes, in Australia for instance, Sydney has had over 300mm in a single day (I was there, it was a steady downpour for about 48 hours in fact which dumped about 500mm in total) and there was little flooding apart from the usual blocked drains as the terrain is hilly. Melbourne however is flatter, rains more often but of the light drizzle type, and 50mm in a day is a major disaster for them. And Taipei before the Walls were built along the rivers would have been a disaster on days like last Friday or in a Typhoon.

2 Likes

Yepp it’s already sweaty again, even in the evenings ;D