Ketogenic "Keto" diet in Taiwan

Anyone got a good YouTube or site for more “ethnic” keto food. Most of the home made meals look disgusting and boring. And people are awful cooks as well. I need a little more Asian zing in my food.

My Italian friends’ family started every meal with a huge bowl of salad. Pasta had a lot of meat or fish and veggies, plus a dollop of butter and a small mountain of shaved cheese. Pasta was not the most signigficant part of the meal, and it was homemade. Gorgonzola and whole wheat crackers were available for snacks. Not cookies nor sweets nor jams.

Your GF is Northener right, like my pals?

We are just worried about what all that sugar will do to your system long term. Like low quality oil to a car engine.

Only way to find out is to try it :slight_smile:

I’m not particularly muscular, so if I eat carbs for a few days (which I do occasionally, for various reasons) I generally start to look a bit squishy. I’m guessing it’s water retention. On low-carb I look a lot better - hardly shredded, but much better definition. All depends what your goals are, I guess :man_shrugging:

How about Indian-style marinaded meats and kebabs?

This guy is a bit hard to understand, but the recipe will give you good results:

I do beef with curry, veggies with curry sauce, works fine.

I need to see what “disguting” looks to you, Andrew. I mean, compared to what? A mountain of salad without dressing? A bowl of Cheerios? You are not going to call a bucket of fried chicken disgusting, are you?

1 Like

Finally dipped under 84 kilos this morning. I’ve been stuck at 85 kilos for months and months. Stopped (almost completely) my beer intake and this resulted in about a half kilo reduction. Then got rid of my daily bread breakfast for the other half kilo (this weight came off very fast). Now the hard part: a two-week vacation starting this Friday. But even if I gain a bit at least I know how to lose that extra little bit that has been very stubborn. I’m also curious how I’ll feel on the mountains. I hope I get a ride in before my vacation starts.

5 Likes

I hope you ignore your diet and just enjoy your vacation. You can always find your way back if you gain more than you should. Just remember that if you don’t work out, or eat “right” for two weeks, it will take two weeks to return to your starting point.

But definitely enjoy your vacation no matter what - including some beer. Cheers!

2 Likes

I did lazy keto during my vacation I still enjoyed it when I need it to never gained any weight maintained.

1 Like

Yeah, totally agree with that. It’s easy to get obsessive about it and lose sight of what life is about.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure I will slip a bit. But my diet, which is more reduced carb than anything, is not all that hard and I still enjoy my meals. My breakfast is now eggs and sausage (throw out the English muffin) and 4 chicken nuggets at McDonald’s. Still very enjoyable.

I’m still drinking. Just not beer! But I’m sure there will be times when beer will be much easier than anything, or somebody wants me to try out some fantastic noodles at their favorite restaurant.

I did that for a while. It could backfire in other ways if you’re used to consuming copious amounts of liquid.

1 Like

I’ve always been good about this. I don’t drink every day, especially now that I’ve switched to harder stuff. And I seem to know when to stop. Two glasses yesterday. Probably none tonight unless I bite the bullet and workout (so tired and don’t really feel like it). Probably a bit more on a weekend night. I often force myself to workout the next morning and sweat things out when I do drink (I think just for old times’ sake because that was the way I lived during my twenties and want to show myself that I can still do that).

1 Like

What’s your height? Sounds overweight. If chicken nuggets are a part of your diet you’re doing it very wrong mate. That stuff is pure gunk.

I’m not a model. I’m not a world class athlete. I’m an older dude just trying to improve myself- to beat yesterday (Garmin motto). So far this year I surpassed all my goals in the triathlon. Lost 8 kilos which helped on the run. Now I’m working on my mountain cycling. This extra kilo lower should help.

183 cm and a medium build. Middle distance swimming is my preferred sport so I’m not totally without muscle. Don’t care if this is considered fat. Just trying to improve continuously.

3 Likes

This is honestly the best mindset to be fit and healthy. Goals and achievements to train towards, actual tangible results. Top level athletes don’t look like models, some of them look kinda not that great aesthetically. I was friends with a fitness model who was in Taiwan, well his gf and the girl I was seeing were friends. The guy was on the cover of men’s fitness. He was honestly the most unhealthy and mentally unhealthy person I’ve ever met. Lots of cocaine, lots of starvation, just really not that healthy of a lifestyle.

Plus he was incapable of enjoying life because he’s always so worried about his physic obsessively. He wasn’t even that muscular was the funny thing, super low body fat and photoshop does the rest for muscle mass.

2 Likes

Middle in Tuscany.

Just a lot “American” style cooking if you know what I mean. Looking for some Asian, Indian, Italian, Hispanic options.

And it’s fine if you’re only competing against yourself. My mountain cycling is crap and there are some seriously good climbers here in Taiwan. When you improve, there’s always that guy your age that kicks your butt on the next ride. As they say in Korean, 뛰는 놈 위에 나는 놈 있다 (there’s always someone better). Simply competing against myself brings great satisfaction, especially when I see improvement.

1 Like

Ah disgusting like this:
20180814_131237

20180814_131843_HDR

1 Like

Nowt wrong with chicken nuggets … at least if you mean the ones from the night market made with actual chicken. I get those (or a fried ji pai) at least once a week.

1 Like

I got the idea for that here. I also thought this was nuts at first. But a quick check of the carb count and I see they’re actually quite low. I don’t think this is what I’ll do long term, but it seems to do the trick for my current low carb strategy.