Ketogenic "Keto" diet in Taiwan

For me, chicken nuggets are not keto-friendly. Especially when compared to chicken wings.

Screenshot_20180816-120218_Carb%20Manager

Screenshot_20180816-120309_Carb%20Manager

I’m seeing 10g of carbs for 4 McDonald’s nuggets (the side order amount at breakfast). It works for reduced/low carb. And chicken nuggets are sold at several places. Where are you getting chicken wings?

That probably means the commercial ones, which are made with soy meal, flour, phosphates, water, sugar, flavourings, and possibly some chicken scrapings. The market ones are considerably better. Having said that, four of the McDolan’s ones is probably not a big deal - I assume their carb count has been measured and stated accurately.

I use Carb Manager app.

Screenshot_20180816-125727_Carb%20Manager

Seems to me all those carbs come from the coating, which as Finley stated, is not the same here.

I think I was looking at some «breaded» fish and it said it had cassava meal, which irks me as I would love some cassava…And our yuca ends up here in milk tea as pearls. So it depends on what is on top. And how much.

If the wings are «buffalo» style and have sugar and ketchup and etc. They cannot be zero carbs, for example.

No, I meant where do you purchase them in Taiwan for scarfing down?

Costco?

Haven’t been there in ages. My wife always goes during the week. I go whenever I take the day off. I won’t go again on a weekend day. The cool thing about nuggets is that they’re available everywhere. But I’ll ask my wife to look for the wings. Add a little Tabasco and I would be happy!

The Diner Xinyi has low carb option on hamburgers.

20180817_150036

I’m going to try those lettuce buns idea at home. I’ve done lettuce taco shells, but not this.

Looks like Dubu House (Songshan MRT Station) stumbled across a low carb tasty meal. The beef wrap. Skip the few rice cake pieces and there you go. And endless side dishes.
Pro tip: ask for extra garlic right at the get-go.

P_20180824_131031_vHDR_Auto

4 Likes

I recently read somewhere a report claiming that low carb diet could cause early death. A few years.

Looks like there is another one at Dubu House Breeze Taipei Station.

1 Like

And it was debunked because the people behind the study had vested interests, for starters. Sort of like the sugar industry all those years ago funding the studies that placed fat as the culprit of all our illnesses.

CNN. I think that was for low carb, high protein though (US style). But with more veggies and fruit you should be okay, is what I think the article said.

1 Like

Every single diet including no diet has studies that say it’s good or bad.

Listen to your body and do what’s best for it.

Almost all of the studies purportedly investigating low-carb are actually studying low-carb, high-protein, low-fat … which is (a) dangerous from first principles and (b) not what anybody actually eats. There was one that fed the participants nothing but boiled turkey. The subjects made themselves scarce after a few days and the experiment was stopped. This was taken by the experimenters as “proof” that low-carb is nonsense.

In other words, most low-carb studies are strawmen designed not to investigate the diet as it’s actually consumed, but to create FUD.

FB_IMG_1525186731898

Please notice veggies aplenty.

FB_IMG_1521128287936

FB_IMG_1521128174056

FB_IMG_1521128144034

2 Likes

Is this it?
“People on low-carb diets who replaced their carbohydrates with protein and fats from animals, such as with beef, lamb, pork, chicken and cheese, had a greater risk of mortality than those whose protein and fats came from plant sources, such as vegetables, legumes, and nuts.”

https://edition-m.cnn.com/2018/08/17/health/low-carb-high-carbohydrate-diet-risk-of-death-intl/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fedition.cnn.com%2Fhealth

ohh, you have to read that one. It’s f’ing hilarious. The full paper is online - just follow the link.

The paper doesn’t even report their results. Basically they made up a graph that was the correct shape to support their conclusions and then used that graph to support their diet advice.

Apart from that, none of their subjects were actually eating low carb. Which is irrelevant anyway, since they completely ignored the results, as far as I can tell, in favour of some mathematical models that they pulled out of their ass.

Nutrition research has always been shit, but that one has a facepalm on every page.

1 Like